Pregnant Radcliffe to run in 2012

Paula Radcliffe has announced she is pregnant but insists she wants to compete in the London Olympics in 2012.

Radcliffe, 32, who has not raced since New Year’s Eve due to a metatarsal injury, did not rule out competing during pregnancy.

“What has surprised me most is that people ask if I will carry on competing,” Radcliffe, whose baby is due in January, told The Times.

“It is surprising as I have said I want to carry on until 2012.”

Radcliffe has been recovering from the metatarsal injury she suffered after stepping on a sharp rock last December.

The injury ensured Radcliffe missed out on defending her Commonwealth Games title in March as well as chasing a fourth London Marathon success in April.

Radcliffe added: "I want to get back running as soon as possible. I know I’ll miss it.

"My recent foot injury made me realise I was never going to decide to reach the Beijing Olympics in 2008 and then give it up to have children, so we decided to give it a go.

"We are ready to be parents and if you are happy, you run better. I have been competing since 1991, so the rest will do me good and it probably won’t do my body any harm to be challenged in a different direction.

“Mentally I will have fulfilled one of my life goals, so I will return more mature and with the wisdom that is part of being a mother.”

Radcliffe is expected to confirm later on Tuesday whether she will compete at the European Championships in Sweden next month. :eek:

Her husband and manager is Gary Lough, a former British international 1,500m runner.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/5167494.stm

If she wins the Euros will the tot also get a medal? :smiley: