Predictions for Tim in Mexico City?

How fast will Tim open up at in Mexico
City? Any predictions?

I say T-Mont in 9.92s. Is Gatlin running the 200? If he does I predict a 19.75s.

Do you think he can peak here and then again for the Worlds? Are there U.S qualifiers for the World Champs U.S team this year, if so when are they?

All I know, no matter what time he runs, it will be sliced & diced with analysis RE: wind readings, altitiude, and reaction time!

:frowning:

I believe that Tim predicted a sub 9.90

Montgomery targets renewed record
Agence France-Presse

MEXICO (May 1, 2003 7:59 a.m. EDT) - American Tim Montgomery, holder of the 100-meter world record, says he intends to better his 9.78-secind mark on Saturday when he is set to race his first outdoor 100m of the season.

“I come to break my own record. I think this place is a good place to do this,” Montgomery told reporters on arrival at Mexico City’s international airport late Wednesday.

“I have the world record and is what I want to continue showing,” he added as he prepares to go up against the likes of compatriot John Drummond.

Montgomery plans after Mexico to contest a 100m in Osaka, Japan, on May 10, and compete at the Prefontaine Classic in Eugene, Oregon, on May 24.

Tim will run 10.05

Kenny Mac~~

I predict that we’ll know after Saturday!

USA Outdoor Nationals will be June 19-22 at Stanford… www.gostanford.com

All he needs to do is concerntrate on working on putting his race together in the way that allowed him to run 9.78, 9.84, 9.85. Concerntrate on winning and forget the times. WR come when you are in good form and relax and let them happen.

Speedster’s right!

Predictions are very difficult - especially about the future

Originally posted by no23
Predictions are very difficult - especially about the future

Thanks Yogi! :slight_smile:

Well done X - You win todays prize of a week as Britney Spears Costume Designer …:clap:

Does anyone know of any websites where I can watch the athletics in Mexico? There is no TV coverage of it here in the UK.:frowning: What time is it at as well?

It’s at 8:00PM Mexico City time (9:00PM Toronto time, or 2AM London time)

Or 11AM Sydney time… oh, 8 minutes.

I got these from the sub 10 message board and can’t confirm the results, but here is what they give for the 100m:

1. Macro 10.03
  2. T. Montgomery 10.04
  3. J. Drummond 10.07

Remember that i can’t find the full results anywhere except sub 10 so I can’t guarantee these are correct!!

Quote from ESPN

``It’s really surprising I was able to beat Tim,’’ said the 22-year-old Macrozonaris, who added that it was his first international Grand Prix event.

The 28-year-old Montgomery set the record of 9.78 during the Grand Prix finals in France in September, and Saturday marked the first time he ran in an individual 100-meter event since setting the mark.

Montgomery, whose girlfriend, five-time Olympic medalist Marion Jones, is expecting the couple’s first child in July, said before the race he thought Mexico City’s high altitude _ more than 7,200 feet above sea level _ gave him a good shot at setting a new mark in the field at Olympic Stadium. It is the same place where American James Hines ran a world-record 9.95 in the 1968 Olympics.

``Running in this stadium means a lot to me considering the results that runners had here during the Olympic Games in 1968 when 13 world records were broken,’’ Montgomery said early Saturday.

Montgomery later said he was very nervous before the race and that his rhythm was thrown off by a false start.

Bottom line (me talking): If he’s nervous from that, wait until he faces Mo or Chambers or hell, anyone else that can run a legit 10.0. He’s doomed!

Saturday, May 3

Macrozonaris edges world record-holder Montgomery

Associated Press

MEXICO CITY – Nicholas Macrozonaris of Canada edged world record-holder Tim Montgomery of the United States in the 100 meters at the Mexican Grand Prix on Saturday night.

Macrozonaris ran the 100 in 10.03 seconds, the second-fastest time in the event this year, while Montgomery finished in 10.04. Fellow American Coby Miller was third with a time of 10.07.

“It’s really surprising I was able to beat Tim,” said the 22-year-old Macrozonaris, who added that it was his first international Grand Prix event.

The 28-year-old Montgomery set the record of 9.78 during the Grand Prix finals in France in September, and Saturday marked the first time he ran in an individual 100-meter event since setting the mark.

Montgomery, whose girlfriend, five-time Olympic medalist Marion Jones, is expecting the couple’s first child in July, said before the race he thought Mexico City’s high altitude – more than 7,200 feet above sea level – gave him a good shot at setting a new mark in the field at Olympic Stadium. It is the same place where American James Hines ran a world-record 9.95 in the 1968 Olympics.

“Running in this stadium means a lot to me considering the results that runners had here during the Olympic Games in 1968 when 13 world records were broken,” Montgomery said early Saturday.

Montgomery later said he was very nervous before the race and that his rhythm was thrown off by a false start.

In the women’s 100, American Christie Gaines finished first with a time of 11.02 seconds. Debbie Ferguson of the Bahamas finished in 11.13, and American Latasha Jenkins took third in 11.21 seconds.

“This is what you train for,” Gaines said. “It’s very exciting. This is a great crowd watching.”

Nouria Merah-Benida of Germany won the women’s 1,500 in 4:26.59. Mexican Dulce Maria Rodriguez’s 4:26.63 took second, and Jamaica’s Mardrea Hyman won third in 4:29.33.

The men’s 1,500 was a Kenyan sweep, with Noah Ngeny taking first place in 3:44.98. Enock Koech was second in 344.99, and Mike Too third finishing in 3:47.20.

Kenyan Shadrack Kosgei won the men’s 3,000 in 8:04.21. Mexico’s Teodoro Vega was second in 8:06.47, while Kenyan Enos Ketter was third in 8:06.62.

The Bahamas’ Jackie Edwards won the women’s long-jump with a leap of 21.29 feet. Mexico’s Yuridia Bustamante took second with a jump of 20.73, and American Adrian Sawyer’s 20.64 was third.