Pre & Post Pregnancy

I was wondering if some of you had references or notes on the effects of pregnancy on the athlete.

I’m particluarly concerned with athletes post-pregnancy and with hormone consqeunces such as Relaxin.

What are the key issues to observe?

Not familiar with relaxin but, from my experience if they were pretty fit before the pregnancy they bounce back with in 4-8 months. Core strength is going to be the big challenge. Also stay away from any jumping activities (or you will be seeing accidents :)) The first month they will need time to heal up internally etc… So they wont be doing much if anything very strenuous… I’d speak to her doctor about the relaxin or search on the web about it.

Relaxin is the hormone that allows the hips to spread prior to childbirth. It has serious implications because it is released everywhere and affects all structures and until the structures are restored to their original positions changes in leverage can lead to hip, knee, and foot problems. The most commonly noted issue after childbirth is an apparent change to a larger shoe size. This is due to the relaxin spreading the foot and allowing the arch to drop.

Thanks Charlie.

From what I know Relaxin is released quite soon into the pregnancy, have you any idea how long after birth the effects begin to reverse?

Is that the main concerns I need to keep in mind or is there other things I need to be aware of?

The effects drop substantially around 3 mos after the birth but it may take 6 mos to get back to normal and you need to be careful during this whole period.

Thanks Charlie, will keep an eye on it

Hi 23, I have succesfully coached 2 athletes prior to during and post pregnancy, Charlie was spot on with his comments. I did write an article years back which the IAAF took an interest in. I will dig it out and add it to this post if your interested. It might spur me to write an update as much has happened since then.

Phil

Please do.
There were one or two further things I came across, so I’d be interested to see the artilce please.

Sorry for the delay, have been on holiday, but will sort it out for you. What were the other things you came accross.