Power Squat

I don’t think many gyms have this piece of equipment. But I found a Gold’s Gym who does! It’s not from Elite but an Icarian model.

I’ve only been using this a few weeks and it has really helped my leg strength and my squat. My back was/is much stronger than my legs relatively so this has been perfect for me.

I love this machine.

Anyone else have experience with this machine?

No. But could you do that same movement on a Hack squat machine?
Also, by the looks of the people doing it, it looks a good exercise for starting strength, 1st few steps out of the blocks??

The logo on the platform is Elite Fitness System’s logo. What are the advantages of this type of set-up???

TNT

TNT

I don’t know if it’s necessarily more specific for starting strength. You actually start the lift at the top, and when you lift, the little safety lever thing releases. At the end of the set, you step on this pedal to put the safety lever back up.

I’ve never used the Elite Power Squat but they say they changed the angle of the platform, have a wider base, and you can hook up jumpstretch bands to it. The Icarian Power Squat I use definitely needs a wider base. I’m 6’1 and sometimes I find my shoes partially off the platform. Anyone over 6’6 probably couldn’t do exercises comfortably on this one.

As far as platform angle I don’t know but the guys at Elite know what they’re doing as far as equipment but the one I’m using seems fine.

As far as doing the same thing on a hack squat machine, I’ve tried both, and the power squat is definitely different. I can really feel my hip extension with the Power Squat and because of the platform angle I can get really deep no problem. I think the hip extension and depth also has to do with the fact that the resistance is moved in an arc.

This looks like a way of developing the power squat, regards back strength, more safely than using the free weights. Some people lack lumbar strength and are then limited for the power squat unless they hammer the good mornings and deads. This could cut corners, never tried it though.

Agreed, the gym that I workout at is well equiped and has one of these machines. I have found that for people who are developing there squat a good starting area. But I find nothing beats a regular free bar squat.

squat machines are great for the lazy wanna-be
athlete. free squat and go to the ground, no cheaters, you get the best results…

who is the chick with the great ASS… wow.

ciao

noone said to stop free squatting. its just a supplemental lift. another tool.

throw those hidious toys out.

ciao

Your best bet is to talk to Dave Tate about this piece of equipment.