POWELL PB in 100M on FRIDAY?

http://www.iaaf.org/GLE06/news/Kind=2/newsId=35292.html

Powell “should have been out there” – IAAF Golden League, Rome
Thursday 13 July 2006
To misquote the famous Paul Anka adaptation of the song which became Frank Sinatra’s signature, “My Way”, Asafa Powell has ‘regrets, he has a few but then again not too few to mention’ about missing the perfect night for sprinting in Lausanne on Tuesday (11 July).

But his missed opportunity of not attempting to re-capture the World 100m record outright could work in the favour of the Borotalco Golden Gala - IAAF Golden League - meeting in Rome on Friday night (14 July).

Powell, having raced only four evenings before in Paris (Sat 8), “didn’t want to risk anything”, confirmed Powell, in terms of possible injury by accepting a late invitation to race in Lausanne, after his co-World record holder Justin Gatlin pulled out of the meeting injured.

However, the Jamaican who was in Lausanne to watch both Liu Xiang’s World record in the 110m Hurdles and Xavier Carter’s 19.62 clocking in the 200m, on what was a warm and a relatively still night for sprinting, certainly had some regrets and was prepared to share those with the media in Rome today.

“Yes, the first thing I said as Xiang broke the record was, ‘I should have been out there (on the track for the 100m)’.”

“There were a lot of fast times, the straightway was fast. I’m sure if Justin (Gatlin) and I had been there we would have been fast too.”

“It could be positive for my result here in Rome. I want to go out and prove something…the training here is good, the weather is good,” all the ingredients are there for a fast run on Friday.

“This is the third time I have been at this meeting and I hope to do something special, and there is a great chance of something special if I can run as I should tomorrow.”

Powell who first ran 9.77 last year quickly became injured but is now able to run just as fast and more often and stay healthy this season. What’s the difference in the athlete?

“Last year I wasn’t training as hard as I should have been, so my legs were pretty weak, and so when I ran 9.77 last year something went in my body, it couldn’t cope. But this year I’m much stronger and running 9.77 is just like another race.”

Powell is a changed man in 2006. It is clear in many respects that the injury has matured the athlete and the team around him. They clearly are conscious of the risk of over doing things, racing too much. If there are serious regrets about him missing Lausanne, then it would seem some how right that a prudent absence from Lausanne should be rewarded with continual health and perhaps a personal best on Friday. Then Powell’s regrets really would be “too few to mention!”

Chris Turner

Golden Gala - Roma (ITA)
Friday, July 14, 2006

Last Updated: 22:50:26 CET 13/07/2006

Entry List
Men - 100 Metres - Race 1
Athlete Nat

Brunson Marcus USA
Collio Simone ITA
Fasuba Olusoji A. NGR
Frater Michael JAM
Gay Tyson USA
Obikwelu Francis POR
Pognon Ronald FRA
Powell Asafa JAM
Scott Leonard USA

Entry List
Men - 100 Metres - Race 2
Athlete Nat

Brown Darrel TRI
Burns Marc TRI
Crawford Shawn USA
Martina Churandy AHO
Smoots Jason USA
Suetsugu Shingo JPN
Thomas Dwight JAM
Verdecchia Luca ITA
Willie Kelly USA

RACE 1 HAS WORLD RECORD POTENTIAL! There are 5 sprinters in that heat who have extremely fast first 60m (Olu-Gay-Scott-Brunson-and Powell) Look for Tyson Gay to run under 10 seconds for the first time. Powell has all of the ingredients to run a under 9.76.

400 METERS

Golden Gala - Roma (ITA)
Friday, July 14, 2006

Last Updated: 22:50:54 CET 13/07/2006

Entry List
Men - 400 Metres - Race 1
Athlete Nat

Carter Xavier USA
Christopher Tyler CAN
Francique Alleyne GRN
Gonzales Jermaine JAM
Licciardello Claudio ITA