Powell equals record for a third time?

Yet again, Powell equals 9.77 World Record
Friday 18 August 2006
Zurich, Switzerland - For the second time this season, Asafa Powell equalled the World record* in the 100 metres, clocking 9.77 seconds at the Weltklasse IAAF Golden League meeting in Zurich.

It was the third time the 23-year-old Jamaican has stopped the clock at 9.77, and the second time this summer.

A complete report will follow later this evening from Zurich.

• pending the usual ratification process

Zurich : Complete Results Now Posted Under “race Reports”

he must be doing somethig right in his Competition Phase for the phase to be going so long. Its not a short sharp peak for only a selected few races. Its a long wide peak with many fast races. Must be doing a lot of hard work on the track before the comp. phase begins.

Does winning the Weltklasse not count for something? Not the WC, but still.

How would you go about getting more in his energy envelop.

More overall strength (with no sacrifices in other areas) & more efficient movement patterns during the first 30 meters. Charlie?

Very tru. Asafa’s first 60 is out rageous. Great kneelift. HE also has a great finish. That was just a complete race imo. I wonder if gay did get a good start would he be able to hold it. Gay is having a mvp season behind asafa.

It would be very interesting to compare all 3 WR races (ie, splits, freq., etc)…hmmmmm PJ :rolleyes:

I believe I posted on a seperate thread about keeping a close eye on Gay. He will be the true successor for the US in the sprints. In the races that I have seen of his, he works as hard as the next man to accel but it still just takes him longer to get there. Remember he was an NCAA indoor 60 marvel at Arkansas U. So he has worked on short end speed tremendouosly.
I have just begin to believe over time that he is also clearly suited for the 200.
perhaps his accel values have been impacted due to running the 200s or training for it.

Asafa is a bad boy. I remeber watching his 6ft frame put on a 60m clinic on Crawford, Capel and some other innocent participants in 2003. You just don’t see those type of accel values from a tall fella in short distances often enough

Asafa’s 40-70m is just tremendous!

I hope Asafa remains in shape until Brussels, they have a new mondo 100m straight & the wind can be very good over there. Kim Gevaerts 100 & 200m records were set there this year with both 2.0m/s but on the old track. It’s even better for the 200m because you can have the whole run wind from behind because of opening near the 100m start, I think that’s what happend with Gevaert record on the 200m.

the way Kim Gevaert’s going at the moment she’ll be a match for Kim Collins by the time they get to Bruxelles :stuck_out_tongue:

I hope Powell realises now that its best when not “gunning” for the World Record. Notice all the times he specifically went out for it with he never got it? All the times he ran the World Record he always says “It didnt seem that fast”. Wonder why? Its because when the body is very relaxed at high speeds it doesnt feel like you are running “that” fast, as opposed to when you try to gun for it, you feel “Fast” but thats only because the body is tight, you are straining to achieve a goal instead of just running a technically sound race.

a WR is difficult to schedule
Asafa has an incredible talent but he have to find the right day for his PB
but one thing is clear: he have to demonstrate he can run this performance in great event (WCh or OG)

I wouldn’t knock Gay’s start. It just looked bad because he was beside Powell and Scott probably the 2 best starters in the world right now. He’s still above average at the beginning.

I think one notable sprinter said Asafa has not learned to run rounds (against real comp) and then produce in a tight final. This may have improved but I still want to see it in the big dances.

me too
i want see Asafa with a great contender in a great event (WCh and OG)
of course, at max of shape!

btw, i readed Asafa had some problems with travels around england, france and Italy.
he was tired muscalarly…
maybe it was the trouble for a not optimal speed enduranca yesterday?