Powell doesnt squat?

kk, what’s the rational for you Damian Hirst icon use? :wink:

err, ahhh…I like diamonds and want to grow up to be a pirate? ! :eek:

orrr … he’s a sicko weirdo and i wanna be just like him.

orrrr . … nice smile there :smiley:

he only does deep squats?

I think this is a good point. I think a lot of people have trouble relating to extremely high level athletes. Fact of the matter is most of us can’t comprehend how well some of these athletes know what THEY need to do to improve.

I remember reading how Mark Spitz (7 gold medals in swimming) was notorious for skipping work outs and his coach would remark how he could have been so much better. Do we really think Spitz, or Power for that matter, could be THAT much better? Once Powell stops lowering the world record then we can discuss how “lazy” he is.

Hard work doesn’t = improvement, improvement=improvement. Who cares if so and so sprinter or if every other sprinter in the world is working harder than Powell or if they are stronger than he is, none of them are as fast as he is.

Franno cares. He says if Asafa listened to him and did what he asked, he would run sub 9.7 in windless conditions. But I take your point.

I spoke to John Walker once about why the Brits were so good at the championships in middle distance running during that 1978 to 1988 period. He said, to cut a long story short, “the Brits were the best at taking a day off”.

Most greats know their body very well and will listen and take advice from whatever voice speaks within. Maybe Asafa is like that too.

I’d say he hasn’t expressed great strength in the weightroom rather than to say he isn’t very strong because he must be to run that fast.

Hey now - just because I had some creative “ideas” for coaching starting doesn’t mean I’m a bad kid :).

By the way, there is a thread from several months ago about Gay and his squatting of 225. Search it.

I guess this should explain the reason for his increase glut growth. :slight_smile:

Hey cf what do you perfer, half or full squats?

Charlie, how much deference do you give to an athlete’s judgment about what constitutes enough work? In the past you’ve stated that you spent most of your time holding athletes back rather than pushing them to do more.

i thought it was 275 (viewing the plates from 4:11 - 4:19 looked like an extra 25 smaller plate against the two 45’s), however much, made that weight look pretty east. http://svt.se/svt/road/Classic/shared/mediacenter/index.jsp?&d=22040&a=816849&lid=puff_816860&lpos=extra_0

Originally Posted by Chris6878
If i remember correctly he was doing 225 with a pretty high step up. That is not very easy. I think that asafa nows what he needs to do to get faster. So far whatever he has been doin has worked. He isnt the fastest human to walk the earth for no reason.

I agree Chris asafa was doing stepups with 245-275 on a nice box which isnt easy.

is the weight a bit harder for the shorter members of the group assuming they use the same box?
I see with asafa his hip is level with the knee but if someone is shorter(frater) then their hip may be below the knee making it more difficult.

What is the benefit of going that deep? It is well beyond the range of movement used in sprinting, and it puts a lot of pressure on the lower back. Just interested to learn more!

I totally agree with this. In my experience when training with Darren Campbell I was surprised at his lack of volume and how often he called the session off early. I keep thinking it, less is often more. I just find it hard to take that advice on board, damn my British work ethic!

lifting is for strengthing the muscles involved in sprinting and jumping, not necessarily to mimic sprinting.

There was a coach who posted on another board a while ago. He said he had an athlete (D2) that was possibly the laziest sprinter he ever had but he ended up winning D2 nationals eventually running 9.9Xw. Just another example of coaching with the goal of “just not screwing them up” which is often a noble goal.

Acid,
There are protocols that are more likely to increase muscle size, those that develop max strength more effectively and those that develop power. Why do different types of sports have a tendancy to follow one type more than another. You actually admit that progression takes place due to changes in volume and intensity - are those changes not related to my 3 types ?
I agree that they do not have to be totally seprate phases but can represent an overlapping progression.

I thought my comments were a reasoned attempt to explain why some athletes appear to succeed without (much) weights or plyometrics. Which is of course relevant to why Powell may not need to squat or do high vols in the weights room.
Please dont tell me to get over it` and do try to improve the construction of your sentences.

Allows for greater use of glutes and hams.

OK, but what are the benefits in strengthening them in a range that far from what they will be being used for in sprinting? Not being difficult, just trying to develop my own theories.