Post workout nutrition

I’d love to give my athletes surge/powerdrive or any other protein/carb mix supplements, but as we all know these can get expensive, for me or them. I coach junior college athletes and am afraid if they don’t start replenishing properly they will breakdown by the state meet in May. What practical meal, in bulk can i keep in my office fridge to have them eat after workouts? They don’t have much money so I’d be buying most of it but a few will pitch in and bring some things. A meal i like to have around the house that is cheap and can be stored in the fridge for a few days is chicken chunks mixed with hard boiled eggs and a little light mayo on whole wheat bread. I usually eat that with some kind of fruit. All suggestions would be helpful. The athletes are Junior College ages 18-22, state champion potential team and individual sprinters. Training is taxing and athletes don’t do much of what you ask when they get home so I want to control a little more of what they eat while they are still with me.

Here in the UK, dextrose sells for as little as 500g for 90p (about $1.55-60) - so you’re only looking at 9-10p a serving. Combined with whey protein isolates, £15-20 for 1kg tub ($30) you’re looking at about 50p per serving.

60p in all ($1) and you’re definitely getting your bang for you buck.

Go to proteinfactory.com or proteincustomizer.com. I make my own post workout shake similiar to Surge but alot cheaper. 50g of CFM whey and 50g of maltodextrins plus 5g of gltuamine and 5g of creatine (creapure). NOTE: i got glutamine and creatine from somewhere else, not PF or PC.

you can buy protein in bulk. Here in the UK i buy it for £95 for 15kg

Suggestions from John Berardi’s article: The importance of Post-Workout Nutrition:

Post-Exercise Choices

So your workout is over and it’s time to reach for your post workout meal. What do you reach for? Here are a few examples of good post-workout choices in order of effectiveness.

1. A specifically formulated recovery drink

1 serving Biotest Surge - (305 calories) - 25g Protein, 50g Carbohydrate, 0.5g Fat

1. A homemade recovery drink

1 serving whey protein + 2 servings Gatorade - (369 calories) - 25g protein, 66g Carbohydrate, 0.5g Fat

1. A whole food recovery meal

12 oz of skim milk + 1 serving Vector - (358 calories) - 18g protein, 65g Carbohydrate, 2.8g Fat

The whole article is worth reading. Check it out at:
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/importance.htm

PS - Vector is a low-sugar, protein added cereal that is sold only in Canada as far as I know.

which cereals sold in America would be comparable to Vector?—Atkins? Honey Bunches of Oats?

Here’s the ingredient list from the Kelloggs Canada Website. I’ll try to see if I can find a macronutrient breakdown for you.

Vector* Meal Replacement
Description
Meal replacement in a bowl! With protein, carbs and 22 vitamins and minerals, Vector* flakes and skim milk is a meal replacement made of great tasting crunchy flakes and granola clusters. FUEL UP WITH VECTOR*.
Sizes:
400g, 850g
Ingredients:
Rice, whole wheat, sugar/glucose-fructose, soy protein, rolled oats, soy protein concentrate, vegetable oil, salt, honey, rice flour, barley malt syrup, natural and artificial flavour, cinnamon, colour, vitamins (vitamin A palmitate, cholecalciferol, d-alpha tocopherol, sodium L-ascorbate, ascorbic acid, thiamin hydrochloride, riboflavin, niacinamide, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, d-calcium pantothenate, biotin), minerals (iron, potassium iodide, copper oxide, zinc oxide). BHT added to package material to maintain product freshness.
Allergens:
Contains wheat, soybeans
Kosher Status:
Kosher Dairy