PNF stretching

I have the GPP video and have encorporated PNF stretches in my warmup and also after. However I have a few questions about them.

While performing a PNF stretch you are doing so isometrically. Now are you moving the body segment into position or is this done pasively by the stretcher?

During the warm up how long are you contracting the muscle to perform the stretch. In the video it looks to be 2 -3 seconds.

For after the workout is the contraction time longer?

When returning the body segment back to its original so for example the hamstring back to the ground are you pushing or contracting and the stretcher just decreasing his resistance. Or do you stop contracting and just let it slowly flow back to its original position passively?

Anybody.

Does anyobody do PNF stretching?

hey sup. I do with only hamstrings stretches though. Get my mom to help me out with those are an instructor if i do it at the gym.

NOTE responses only from observation not from personal experience.

The ROM isn’t overly forced by the stretcher, they take up the slack and then resist the stretchee (is there such a word? :cool: ) returning to the start position. The DVD doesn’t quite show the level of resistance but in person you see there is a lot used, obviously it is dependent on the strength levels of the athlete.

During the warm up how long are you contracting the muscle to perform the stretch. In the video it looks to be 2 -3 seconds.

Depends on the flexibility of the athlete, at the seminar CF took up 10 - 15 sec with an overly tight athlete.

For after the workout is the contraction time longer?

sorry can’t answer.

When returning the body segment back to its original so for example the hamstring back to the ground are you pushing or contracting and the stretcher just decreasing his resistance. Or do you stop contracting and just let it slowly flow back to its original position passively?

answered above, the stretcher applies resistance, I was surprised how much when I saw it in person.

Thanks for the response

15 seconds huh, that seems long, doesnt that effect the stretch reflex especially if done during warmup or workout effecting there workout. Or is the fact that the athlete so tight that if not done, injury will occur?

hmm 15 secs is a long time and I am guessing the extreme maybe it was a bit less and may have been influenced by CF discussing things as he went. Another factor is that the guy was pretty tight and CF actually asked him if he did any stretching :eek:

Or is the fact that the athlete so tight that if not done, injury will occur?

yes, you do what has to be done.

Thanks John, it makes sense, it helps to hear it from someone who was there.