Please read

I’d appreciate the opinion of experienced folk here.

I play for a soccer team, game days on Sunday. I have bad pain in my calves, preventing me from sprinting and kicking a ball.

If you could take a look at my training routine, maybe someone can spot something in there that I can’t see.

Sunday - game
Mon - pool work
Tues - upper max effort
Wed - tempo on grass (10x50m sprints + 10x50m sprint with ball), ab circuit, 5xmed ball 10kg
Thurs - lower max effort
Fri - dynamic upper and lower effort
Sat tempo on grass same as above

As you can see I’m also doing a variation of westside barbell. Concentrating on getting stronger in one lift per week whilst hitting everything else at maintenance.

Look forward to the responses. Cheers.

For our college aged players, I prefer to have the max effort leg work earlier in the week…Perhaps you could switch your ME upper and ME lower days, so that you’re better rested for the contest…
I’m going to assume (uh oh) that there’s no practices during the week?, or is there additional running volume that you haven’t accounted for?

good luck!

Calves mostly start to hurt because of one or several of the following reasons.
[ul]
[li]Sudden change of surface with no change in volume
[/li][li]They are stiff (try foam rolling)
[/li][li]Your foot pronates when you run/weight train/jump etc
[/li][li]Just overworked (this is probably you)
[/li][/ul]

Since your pain seem to be quit severe I would recommend that you stop doing things that hurt and try to get you calves better since they have a tendency to become cronic if you don’t. There are some rehab workouts for tendious akhilles tendoms that require you to go train with pain, these exercises are of cource an exception to the no pain rule :slight_smile:

Good luck…

I agree with Gutti. You need to look at foam rolling. I usually recommend not performing fitness the day before a game. Regenerate properly!

hey dude…its soccer not track and field…
your calh muscle hurts you alot…being a player.
i got a tryout for teh blizzards at 17… iam no sissy…

you failed to mention …with/without soccer shoes when traininng… and do u vary the cleat lenght on training days…

9 mil…is game day…7 mil is practice…

ciao