Please analyse!

Hey folks I wonder if anyone could give me their considered opinion on what times I should be capable of running in the 100m/200m based on the following times recorded in training.

All times are recorded using freelap timing system which records static starts from button release & flying sprints from activation of radio beacons as you pass them.

30m = 3.95
60m = 7.16
150m = 16.7 hand
300m = 37.6 hand

30m fly = 3.05
60m fly = 6.26
100m fly = 10.60

Thanks

Cain

Just off hand based on those times if you take your 60m time, add a reaction 0.15s, then add the difference between your 30 fly and your 60 fly divided by 3 and multiply by 4 (to make 40m) it would give you:

7.16+0.15+(((6.26-3.05)/3)*4))= 11.59s

Of course this is just a prediction based on your times, and this combination of times seems to make the most sense to me. You could use the difference between you’re flying 100m time and 60m time to figure out the last 40m but that 40 would really be around 80-120m times.

Based on that 200m: 23.x

Of course you’re best bet would be to use the system to time a full 100m and add a reaction.

I’ve had an interesting experience with this sort of adding of times experiment.

My 35m time is 4.41s, my flying 25m is 2.41s, combined that makes 6.82 for 60m, add a 0.15s reaction and that makes exactly my pb in the 60m.

I would suggest you time yourself over 100m & 200m, since you seem to have access to timing equipment.

Were these times taken at similar times of the year and under similar conditions? Acceleration seems to be much better than top speed and speed endurance is poor as seen from the huge drop off in average speed in the longer flying sprints. Was the 150m done with a rolling start? 16.7 seems fast for someone who runs a flying 100m in 10.60.

11.50 should be possible from these times, but the 30m time looks like that of a sub 11s guy.

I would work primarily on speed and speed endurance from here on. If you get your flying 30 down to 3.00 and improve your speed endurance to the point where the drop-off for a flying 60 is negligible (e.g. 6.00 to 6.05), 11.20 or faster should be possible.

must be scared to see what happens.

Thanks for your responses guys.
Syrus2001 you’re pretty accurate with you conversion as I have run 11.68 this season and have run 23.61 for the 200m. The reason I asked the question in the first place is that I felt there was some disparity between what I was running in training and what times I got in competitions and i didn’t know whether it was just a case of my expectations being too high or whether i’m too tense in my races which is producing below par performances.
I feel that I should be running 23.3/4 for the 200 based on my training times however robin1 I think you’ve hit the nail on the head with regard my speed endurance for example I ran the 300m 37.6 a couple of weeks ago in training yet last week albeit in windy conditions I could only manage 54.8sec in the 400m and my last 100m is a sight to behold i.e not pretty :frowning:

not sure where the 16.7 150m came from. I did this yesterday 30min after running a 38.1 sec 300m and it just seemed to flow so i am thinking it’s partly what i’m doing in my races that the problem.
I finish for my end of season break at the end of this week so if the conditions are good in training this week I’ll run a 1 & 2 and see what happens, but I defo need to improve my fitness both general & specfic during winter training.

Thanks for your opinions.

Cain

Sounds like you produced some lactic in the 300m which you then used as fuel for the 150m. There are some posts here on this issue with reference to Marita Koch’s 300m time trial before her 400m world record.

Very interesting!

There’s been a lot said about the lactic bit but I suspect that the 400 forces the athlete to be more even in his energy distribution over 200m.
Another thing you’ll often see along these lines is a young athlete passing through 200m in a pb on the way to a 400. They are often shocked to hear it but have trouble bettering it when they run a 200 flat and burn the first 100 and then die.

This is what I tend to do, Burn the bend often coming into the home straight alongside athletes way superior to me then die. When I did the 300 yesterday I was very tired and didn’t think I I was ready to run so ended up running a much more controlled bend and seemed to have much more in reserve to finish off. This is something I must take into my races nxt season as I have no intention of running 300m before a race :slight_smile:

Thanks again!