Please advice me on how G2 ankle sprain....

Hello.

I’ve been spraining my ankle frequently since about February, and I ended up getting an MRI.

I was diagnosed about 2 weeks ago that I had grade 2 ankle sprain; nearly all of my anterior talofibular ligament (ATFL) and calceneofibular ligament (CFL) were torn, although not entirely, and they say my achilles and posterior talofibular ligament and deltoid ligament are fine, so it’s not quiet grade 3.

If there’s anyone here with expertise or such history, please give me some advice. I am not sure if I should get surgery or go with conservative treatment. I want to be able to one day finish rehab fully and regain my athletic function fully, at least in the linear movements, if I can’t do so on lateral movement as well. I want to be able to train hard and well again, get great results, not let the injury or possible surgery hold me back. I want to be able to train my sprints, jumps, plyometrics, and weightlifting, and not let the injury be any problem. I think could just take it easy on lateral movements like soccer.

I really don’t want to lose strength, flexibility, quickness, and elasticity. I don’t want the surgery to tighten up my ligaments so hard, that it will just make my ankles too stiff to do athletic movements well, if I get a surgery.

Will it be possible for me to fully recover at least in the linear movements?

Please give me advice, or if not, please tell me someone that I could ask about such advice.

Thank you.

I think you should give it some time without anything remotely risky and see how it progresses. When I was 21 I had a grade 3 ATFL sprain and grade 2 CFL playing basketball. It was nasty, and I did very little active recovery. Normal walking was about 3 months later. Jogging 4 months. Full recovery 6 months. This was over 10 years ago, and until I hurt my knee 3 months ago, it wasn’t giving me any problems beside having to avoid basketball for fear of easy re-injury.

Hello.

I’ve been spraining my ankle frequently since about February, and I ended up getting an MRI.

I have sprained my ankles countless times. Despite having what I’ve considered as 3 serious sprains I’ve been able to avoid medical intervention. One of the worst ankle sprains was as a 14 year old gymnast. I was doing a handstand onto the high bar, from the low bar ( on the uneven parallel bars) and when dismounting I turned my ankle. It’s impossible to say what grade that injury would have been. Competition height for uneven bars are 8 feet 2 inches. I am sure we were not training at competition height but the dismount distance with your feet over our head is substantial.

I was diagnosed about 2 weeks ago that I had grade 2 ankle sprain; nearly all of my anterior talofibular ligament (ATFL) and calceneofibular ligament (CFL) were torn, although not entirely, and they say my Achilles and posterior talofibular ligament and deltoid ligament are fine, so it’s not quiet grade 3.

Medical diagnostics are pieces of information. You get to decide who interprets the diagnostics and what you will do about it. The most effective therapy is the application of certain tools given routinely in just the right amounts at the right time. Therefor one of the best ways to benefit from therapy is to self-administer and actively pursue all variables that can heal you. It’s possible medical surgery is needed but I wonder how much you success you can have before trying something that can not be reversed?

If there’s anyone here with expertise or such history, please give me some advice. I am not sure if I should get surgery or go with conservative treatment. I want to be able to one day finish rehab fully and regain my athletic function fully, at least in the linear movements, if I can’t do so on lateral movement as well. I want to be able to train hard and well again, get great results, not let the injury or possible surgery hold me back. I want to be able to train my sprints, jumps, plyometrics, and weightlifting, and not let the injury be any problem. I think could just take it easy on lateral movements like soccer.

One of the questions I would ask myself might be = Why do you think you have been spraining your ankles so much since February? Has something changed? Are you more tired for some reason? Are you under more stress than normal? Has something been bothering you? Is there something underlying that is creating an imbalance in your overall health? ( you don’t need to explain I am just suggesting these are some questions you need to ask yourself. )

One of the next worst sprains I have ever had happened one year ago in January of last year. I had the flu for one entire week and resumed training the following week discounting the need for modifying volume and or intensity. ( I like to pretend I am invincible… it doesn’t work short or long term ) So in other words I was pretending that just because I could train everything would be business as usual. I was doing Running A’s : an exercise I have done since I was 12 or 13 years old. I have no idea what grade this injury was but it was probably the worse ankle injury I’ve had to date.

I really don’t want to strength, flexibility, quickness, and elasticity. I don’t want the surgery to tighten up my ligaments so hard, that it will just make my ankles too stiff to do athletic movements well, if I get a surgery.

I think what you are saying here is you do NOT want to lose strength, flexibility, quickness or elasticity. In my experience people are training focused but not recovery focused. Are you rolling out their muscles before, during and after training? Have you tried contrast baths or tried using cold as a systemic anti-inflammatory tool? You could also be treating individual body parts. (pales of ice water works very well in place of or in contrast with icing for ankles, sore Achilles etc and hands. Large Rubbermade garbage bins can be used to treat yourself with ice water for entire lower body cold treatments. How is the quality of your sleep? Have you ever tried a Cal/Mag + Vit D3 liquid at night? ( cyto-matrix is the brand I like).

Will it be possible for me to fully recover at least in the linear movements?

It’s impossible for me to know this. Focus on making yourself as healthy as possible. Try and trouble shoot some of the areas I’ve touched on above. My guess is if you are not doing some or most of the things I have mentioned to actively recover there are huge gains to be made. That is what I would focus on first before any decisions about surgery are made.
[b]
Please give me advice, or if not, please tell me someone that I could ask about such advice.

Thank you.[/b]

I hurt my ankle in Feb and April, second time I rolled it on an edge of a log running hills - only started running pain free 2 weeks ago.

Prior to hurting ankle first time I started to develop some stability issues with my obliques and QL’s

Something would be Overly tight and or in spasm
Something might be overly strong / weak in the posture chain (could be lower legs, hips etc, or a combination of everywhere)

I guess you need to find somebody local who is good at achieving results

For now, I’m trying to take about maybe 6 weeks or so to avoid anything dangerous. I’m surprised that you took so long to be able to walk yet took only 3 more months to fully recover. I hope I can recover well like you…

Thank you for sharing your experience and hope your knee gets better.

Hello.

It must’ve been painful for you to have had that injury in the past…it’s unfortunate. Would you say that it hindered your performance and training in onwards, as you became an elite athlete? As of now, I can run short distances on good (not too hard, not uneven) surfaces with no apparent ankle issues. I can’t really do sharp cuts or do anything on bad surfaces. However, it’s impossible for me to tell whether or not it affects my plantarflexing force production and speed, as I’ve been suffering from plantar fasciitis for three months and been too out of shape anyways.

I will be seeing more medical professionals as well from now on, but I’m now leaning more towards avoiding surgery if at all possible.

You’re right, I meant I don’t want to lose strength, flexibility, quickness, and elasticity. Currently I’m pretty well aware of why I got hurt. I know things that can help recover, like contrast bath, cold, epsom salt, ART, foam rolling, pnf stretching, chiro adjustments, etc to relieve any parts of body that’s stressed. However, although it’s possible to train the body to compensate well for injured body part, it’s not really possible to regenerate badly torn ligaments. I’ve been sleeping well at night, but I just don’t have enough time to sleep.

Thank you.

So it took you about three months to be able to run? That’s such a long time…

Would you attribute your injury to obliques and QL issues? I can see that it can throw off your pelvic alignment…

Thank you.

I’m sure I’m very tight and have imbalance issues. I remember being told that my left lower leg and left hip flexor tend to be very tight and I know my I’ve had left hamstring issue before, have issues left glute activation as well.

However, there were clear reasons other than these that caused the ankle issues and currently I have difficulty taking care of these issues. Hopefully I’ll have resources to do so in the near future.

Thank you.

Yes - I still have the issues, but I haven’t been able to concentrate on ‘fixing’ the issue (money, time, health, and having a job sitting on a chair)

I’ve had a lifetime of ankle injuries that eventually resulted in reconstructive surgery (medial ligaments and bone spur removal). It was at the point that I had pain doing anything and the joint had almost no stability, the joint ROM was measured at four times the norm. For me, recovering from surgery took longer than any ankle sprain, more than 3 months to run and over a year for the ankle to feel normal. I recently injured the other ankle (grade 2 with minor tibia avulsion fracture) and it was 8 weeks of physio until I could run.

What I’ve learned over the years:

1. Only use surgery as a final option, the body will never be the same afterwards. I know a surgeon who is totally honest and says ‘avoid seeing me’ at all costs. Get second, third, etc. opinions if you are uncertain about what you’re hearing.
  2. A good physio is worth their weight in gold. Ankle rehab isn’t too complicated and could be done on your own but a good physio will progress you appropriately and point out and begin working on any other issues that may be causing the ankle issues.
  3. Take your time. Athletes tend to be impatient but a longer full recovery always trumps a shorter incomplete recovery. For my most recent injury I’ve gone very slow, it’s been frustrating at times but I want as complete recovery as possible rather than having lingering issues from rushing things, which is what I did in the past.
  4. Maintain mobility/stability and work on underlying issues. If mobility is an issue you’ll need to constantly work on it, same for stability if that is an issue. If there are other issue work on those, this may be a lifelong endeavor in some cases.
  5. Consider removing any activities that may be too risky. This was a hard one for me, basically I had to quit playing soccer and basketball. I’m not very good at either and mostly played for social reasons but the risk was just too high and not worth it. There’s still a bunch of other activities I can do instead and I’d rather stay healthy so I can continue doing those.

I like your summary.

Wow…I really hope you can achieve good health and results in the near future.

I’ve recently read on this forum regarding prolotherapy to treat ligament injuries. Some people were saying they actually work.

I haven’t got a surgery because of possible sideffects as advised here and elsewhere (possible re-tear of ligament, poor range of motion, etc)

Can anyone please share their thoughts on prolotherapy? Do you think it works? Do you think it has side effects? One article I read says that it lays type III collagen, as opposed to type I, which means it lays softer collagen tissues than normal ones that make up ligament.

Special tests for ankle vid:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpsg2LCS8us

• i actually was just searching up ankle injury vids yesterday and tried the test at 2:10 of the vid. He calls it ‘kleiger test’, which i had some pain for the area the test indicated would cause pain(which in this case was the deltoid ligaments.
    -I did seven 60m sprints on the hard packed icy snow incline in spikes on thursday feb.19,2015. During maybe the 3rd or 4th 60m i could feel a slight misstep, but no pain at all during the session or for the rest of day. Also no ankle pain on the friday.
    -On the day after sprint session,( friday feb.20,2015) i did grocery shopping carrying just all groceries in 1 basket(crapload of fruit-kiwis grapes pineapples avocados lemons raspberries oranges bananas homomilk eggs pizzas bacon). I heaved the basket of groceries with just 1 hand(but alternated carrying hands). The negative of this shopping session, was i walked back n forth across the groceryshop 4x with the weight of all the fruit.
    -Just did the same test today and tonight(feb.22,2015sunday)…and it has yielded no pain in that area of the deltoid ligaments. Last night I had a somewhat busy evening watching 1 and 2year old sons chasing and carrying em around hockey arena as their 8year old brothers hockey toutnament wrapped up. I had done the ankle test earlier in the day while at the comfort of home watching(or raising, what have you) my 2younger sons.

I like the ankle test video idea.
Eliminate the worst case scenario and then trouble shoot.
Prolotherapy is effective according to those you speak to but it’s forbiddingly expensive and I’ve never spoken to anyone that has done this for their ankles. Typically, I’ve heard people using this for hamstring or issues going on with the hips.