Planning

Next school year it looks like I will be able to teach one weight training class at school. It will be composed of freshmen and sophomores, most of whom are 4 sport athletes. The gym will be occupied so we can’t really do much besides lift weights. I am worried about overtraining the athletes. I’m thinking about having 2 higher intensity days (1 upper and 1 lower), 2 low intensity days (1 upper and 1 lower) and one day of flexibility work. These guys know the basics, and we follow a template similar to WS4SB for football training (which most of the boys play), but aren’t so worried about quantity as much as quality.
Anyway, my question is what would you pick to do on game day? Flexibility or light _______?
What effect would a 35 minute static stretching session have on performance 4-10 hours later?

core and spinal strength

[QUOTE=
Anyway, my question is what would you pick to do on game day? Flexibility or light _______?
What effect would a 35 minute static stretching session have on performance 4-10 hours later?[/QUOTE]

Flexibility as in the sense of range of muscle and joint equals Free Speed.

But heavy stretching is reported to have produced up to a 30 per cent loss in strength in the immediate time following…haven’t seen the research/study myself, only heard about it. Don’t know the time-frame, but would suggest 10 hours later no ill effects.

Time to do the long-period static stretching would be on the days others than competition days, which would hopefully mean (in conjunction with some trigger point work, etc) your athlete/player would have no flexibility-related injury concerns on race/game day.

Thanks. Does anyone know how long that 30% strength loss is for? How many hours?