Pittman Splitman

Pittman splits with management
By Jim Wilson
January 18, 2006

JANA Pittman has split with her management company less than two months from the Commonwealth Games.

One of the faces of the Games, Pittman severed ties with sports management company Grand Slam International, which boasts some of the biggest names in Australian sport, including Ian Thorpe.

Pittman’s fiance and coach, English athlete Chris Rawlinson, will manage the former world champion.

“Jana decided it was in her best interests to go her own way and look after her own affairs and concentrate on what’s required on the track,” Rawlinson said yesterday.

“She just found the load of satisfying sponsorship requests from Sydney, while she trains in Melbourne, simply too great, and has decided to wind down her commitments.”

Rawlinson said Pittman, 23, would look after her own business interests for at least the next two years, including in the lead-up to the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.

It’s a bold move by Pittman in the lead-up to the Melbourne Games.

The 400m hurdles star is understood to have become increasingly frustrated with juggling a strict training program and sponsor commitments.

Last night, Grand Slam International boss David Flaskas wished Pittman all the best after parting company with her.

Advertisement:
“It’s an amicable parting of ways and I just want the best for Jana in her life on and off the track,” Flaskas said.
“They wanted to do things internally, but I have told her and Chris they can pick up the phone any time if they need assistance. I just want her to have peace of mind.”

Pittman has relinquished a number of sponsors since the Athens Olympics, including global beverage giant Red Bull.

“Jana has spoken with her sponsors and all current arrangements will be honoured,” Rawlinson said.

“The reason for this is simple: she must concentrate on her running right now and in the lead-up to Beijing in two years.”

Meanwhile, sprinter Josh Ross said he was primed for a full-scale assault on the Games after an impressive 100m win at the New South Wales championships at the weekend.

“I’m back and after a frustrating few months it’s all systems go for Melbourne,” Ross said.

“I clocked 10.48sec but it was into a mother of all headwinds and I just know I’m finding some spark at the right time.”

It’s the first state title for the two-time national champion and, while the time was well outside the A-qualifier needed for Melbourne, his confidence is on the rise for the Games trials in less than three weeks.

“I want a medal around my neck at the MCG in March and I’m not making any bold statements that I’ll win gold, but I want to make the final,” Ross said.

“Anything is possible from there and I can’t wait to prove I have what it takes.”

Ross said Jamaican 100m world record holder Asafa Powell would have to cope with a mountain of pressure at the MCG.

“He’s beatable and he’s shown in the past when the pressure is on, he can crack,” Ross said. :eek:

“It’s one thing to set a world record in a grand prix meeting in Athens, but where was he at the Olympics or world championships? A question mark hangs over Asafa’s head.” ( :eek: WOH, TELL IT LIKE IT IS BABY, kk)

While Ross’s preparations for Melbourne are back on track, 2002 Commonwealth Games relay gold medallist Lauren Hewitt is facing a massive battle to qualify.

Hewitt has resumed competition just eight weeks after ankle surgery and last weekend finished fourth in the 100m at the NSW championships.

Herald Sun

““Jana decided it was in her best interests to go her own way and look after her own affairs and concentrate on what’s required on the track,” Rawlinson said yesterday.”

Isn’t there a contradiction here somewhere?

Ross said Jamaican 100m world record holder Asafa Powell would have to cope with a mountain of pressure at the MCG.

“He’s beatable and he’s shown in the past when the pressure is on, he can crack,” Ross said.

“It’s one thing to set a world record in a grand prix meeting in Athens, but where was he at the Olympics or world championships? A question mark hangs over Asafa’s head.”

Asafa cracked in the Olympics yea, but didnt he still run sub 10?? Did he even compete in the World Champs? No, he was injured. Ross is very optimistic to say the least. He should think about going sub 10 before he can even think of Challenging Asafa.

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :eek: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :rolleyes: