PITT Panthers

I feel the same way-I need to mention CF when discussing my program. Unfortunately, some coaches pretend as if everything they do is an original invention of theirs-while some aspects might be original, everything cannot be. The originality, to me, comes about in how a coach pieces together the numerous influences in what he/she does within their program.

I also appreciated the comment about how football fans might be surprised to find that many college programs do NOT do actual speed training. That is so true. Though they may think they do speed work, by the protocols they follow with incomplete recoveries the work cannot be truly defined as speed training or speed development.

Thanks. You and I are in total agreement.

Every time I speak about Charlie’s impact on my coaching career people think I’m crazy. In level 1 school, I caught hell from bringing up Charlie’s name and by the end of the conversation the Coach was agreeing with me once he saw he wasn’t talking to a bozo.

James,

How fast is Mason, some of those sprints looked pretty quick.

With regard to the speed work, do you dictate the starting position (ie 3 pt. vs. upright) or do you let the athlete decide?

I didn’t conduct any formal testing this summer so I can’t say where he’s at definitively; probably mid to high 4.5 on the watch after a taper.

We switch up the starting position for the sprints, from push up position, lying on the side, lying on back, 3pt, standing, and so on.

I take a lot of input from the guys.

James,

I would hope you could clear up for me one of the comments in the article. The paragraph in question goes into the fact that you employ work to develop anaerobic/alactic capacity and aerobic capacity. The utilization of a “series method” is mentioned using HI bouts of explosive efforts (I am not quoting all the text exactly unless you require that that as I assume you have the issue?) are used with RI’s corresponding to the collegiate play clock. Perhaps the “series method” is the what you transition into from the alactic work?

Those lines seem to be contradictory but I assume RF meant you segue into that type of work (the work requiring reduced RI’s to corresond to the specific ES demands of the work) from the true alactic work? The lines themselves are not direct quotes so I assume it was his interpretation of what you said and what you do.

Thanks.

No worries. I take the blame for that because Rob sent me the finalized version before it went to print, for my review, and I should have caught the errors in translation.

We progress from alactic power (full recoveries) to alactic capacity (shorter recoveries) over the course of the spring and summer.

The rest intervals to not get progressively shorter, however. They simply go from full during power to play clock during capacity.

So the series method is used during capacity and is consistent with Verkhoshansky’s, and others, explanation of the associated parameters and I make the necessary adjustments that are necessary relative to game biodynamic/bioenergetic structure. The word ‘series’ also corresponds to series of plays ran during a game/practice that is familiar to players and coaches.

So 3 x (20yd x 6) during capacity would be 3 series of 6 repetitions of 20yds. 4-5 minutes rest between series and ~40sec rest between repetitions.

If you’re interested, this is all explained in detail in my lecture DVD that covers the training during the spring and summer off-seasons.

James, for the time the youtube site was up, I was able to see the videos and look forward to the bigger production of what you guys are doing out there, keep up the good work and keep us informed as to when and where the bigger video can be seen.

Thank you.

The NCAA book of infractions is so big it could probably anchor an aircraft carrier in rough seas.

My compliance people told me I can showcase players on video any other time of year so I’ll put some things together as time moves forward.

For any those of you who haven’t seen them already, two of my highly genetically gifted players have their own youtube sites:

Jon Baldwin

Dan Mason

Our media people put together sites for Jon Baldwin, Dion Lewis, and Greg Romeus

Training Program Highlight Video

Great video. It says alot about Buddy and your relationship and trust in your specific roles. I have other thoughts on why other schools don’t do this but won’t post them here.

Go PITT!!

Thanks I appreciate it.

An outside film and production company was contracted to do the feature. I was blown away when I saw the final product.

Great video, James. Personally I’d of like to see a bit more training footage, but I guess that’s what is to be expected when its somebody other than you guys constructing it.

Are you allowed to post your videos once training camp begins or after your first game?

how much pure speed work do you guys do? Most football teams really don’t do much of any. Too many coaches take sprinting as a chance to condition their players. thanks!

Thanks. Yes, once the season officially begins I will be able to post training videos.

We perform a great deal of pure alactic speed work throughout the spring and summer.

That is interesting James. Thanks for posting.

In your capacity work, do you vary the number of sprints within each set to simulate the conditions a possession/drive might present and then I guess you take a break after each series?

Yes, I rotate between a set amount of repeats per series as well as a random amount of repeats. Caveat being that we rarely exceed 6 repeats because we get more than enough 2minute drill capacity work during the Friday 7on7 sessions during the last block of summer which is focused on 2minute drill.

Do you make a gradual shift from power to capacity ala CF GPP as in 2 hill sessions and 1 flat speed during his week 5 to 1 hill two flat in week 6 etc. or is capacity done just one time per week-how often would you do such work?