Pistorius 46.03 PB

Pistorius personal best takes him step closer to London 2012 target
Sunday, 18 July 2010

By Duncan Mackay
British Sports Internet Writer of the Year

July 18 - Oscar Pistorius took another significant step today towards achieving his ambition of competing in both the Olympics and Paralympics at London 2012 when he ran a personal best for the 400 metres.

Competing against able-bodied athletes at a meeting in Lignano in Italy, the South African ran 46.03sec for the one lap event to finish second behind America’s Jamaal Torrance.

It was a big improvement for the 23-year-old from Johannesburg, smashing is previous best of 46.25 set in 2008.

Perhaps more significantly it lifted the Blade Runner to second place on this year’s South African rankings and puts him into contention for selection for this year’s Commonwealth Games, which are due to open in New Delhi on October 3.

It also takes him closer to 45.95, the B-qualifying time expected to be set by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) for the World Championships in Daegu next year.

What are they going to do if he drops down into the 44s and starts winning things.

same old shit fight with the IAAF and IOC I assume…

Why is it that South Africa has the two most controversial athletes in the sport - just about in the history of the sport LOL.?

what if they both get to compete in the Commonwealth Games in Delhi - what a media storm that will be.

Will Oscar be allowed to run in the South African 4x400m relay?

What is someone stands on the toe of one of his blades - intentionally or otherwise?

What is he trips on that blades and brings the field down. OMG the possibilities are endless.

I hope he does get to run and he wins a medal at least in the relay. Worry about 44sec if he ever gets near to that.

Damn, I will have to make a comeback. He has run a faster 400m than I, and Ottey is still at it and she could clearly beat me in a 100m/200m now.

Wonder if he has tried the 400h.