Pick up Drills/EFE/FEF

We all have done Charlie EFE and FEF drills in 20m segments, I’m wondering has anyone tried EFE in various segments - for example EFE - 15-30-15 etc?

You would only do that if you’re ready to hold the sprint position for the 30m. If you are, give it a go.

Remember it’s only a 15m lead in so the speed won’t be that high - actually it would be lower then doing efe at 20m segments. It would be a 30m sprint with a 15m intensity limit.

So, you would be less likely to hit full speed - and it being max speed drill/exercise, the exercise become mute? ie, practicing max speed drills at sub max speed.
I would be more akin to using split 60’s for the purpose of what you’re after.
Or, cut the Max speed component - ie, 25m lead in, 10m Fast, 25 lead out - That is, if you want to cut the intensity of the total effort, yet still focus on Max speed.

My understanding is that EFE (20/20/20) is sub max anyway. It is proposed as a way of practicing max speed form in a safe environment. I am sure Stef said from her session with CF that the speed at F strta point wasn’t important so long as you are in an upright position, dorsiflexing, ready to drive the arms and lift the hips. The GPP DVD suggests a similar thing.

The question then becomes why 15-30-15?

I know KK used a variation where the athlete would build up over 40+ meters then hit the line at a higher pace much closer to max speed then really work for 20 and ‘hold’ that in a relaxed state for another 20. My description would be BFR which is Build, Fast, Relaxed.

It’s as close to Max as most will get. Perhaps different for an elite. But any high 10sec, low 11sec runner will pretty much Hit Max during these efforts - maybe not Absolute max PB speed. But pretty darn close.

I always thought the idea was, to practice Max or high speed efforts at as relaxed an effort as one can. And these allow for such an effort, esp for weaker runners, like those running high 10’s and low 11’s.
As you get stronger, you move away from these, and into Longer Efforts

I would imagine, hitting a 30m Relaxed Speed, off 15m, is going to be too “slow” for a 60m indoors or 100m out. Be closer to 200m speed.

Again, in which case at those speeds, I would be more looking at SE sessions.
Unless of course, that’s the target you’re after?

EFE in 20m segments is more accel work my friend.

With my athletes the 15-30-15 is more of a bridge between accel and top speed work - while helping to develop the transition phase.

Depends on YOUR speed
I doubt at your speed there is much acc going on after 5or so Mtrs into the 20m fast segment.

If there is, your going way too slow in the 1st 20m. Not that it has to be fast, but a high 10sec/low 11sec 100m runner isn’t going to acc all that much in these drills. You’ll hit top speed quickly then it’s over before you know it.

Not true at all.

Why not use time gates ala freelap or brower? What did the drills mean in CFTS, define the terms.

I used to do a drill that was based on the American Indian war dance over 20m. Every angle in the acceleration stage was covered. The motovation was “any fool can look like an idiot it takes a special person to feel like one”.

My understanding is that the EFE drill is a Top Speed session… With proper form (which is always the aim), and no forced effort whatsoever (Charlie’s quote on one ‘efforted’ run was “I don’t want to see that kind of power” ) top speed should be gradually achieved. (top speed is usually not perceived by the person running, but by the observer. It is my understanding that a very experienced sprinter recognizes top speed when fully relaxed )

Depending on your level, you should start with a 10m accel and hold for 20m. Then, the aim should be to gradually increase the acceleration length, and not necessarily the top speed F(ast) increment of 20m.

This should lead to a ~40m acceleration + 20m top speed for a 60m run.

(I don’t agree that the EFE drill is a sub-max drill)

Agreed
Unless somebody is doing it massively wrong :slight_smile: - Or, they are that fast they need the longer acc - of which you touched on in your post. It’s all about progression

Search the forum or read key concepts…

My understanding is that though it is a drill for developing maximal speed, you won’t probably achieve a maximal speed within the drill itself especially not EFE. You would be able to come closer to maximal velocity on the second F of FEF if you did not slow down much in the E (according to CF) but even if the first E of EFE was a maximal effort (which it is not) there is simply not enough distance 20m or speed from which to hit maximal vel. within the F of EFE unless you were accelerating throughout the 20m F phase which I don’t believe is the way it is to be executed-I was under the impression that the velocity within F stays fairly constant.

I am also under the impression that the value of the drill is:

1. To achieve relatively high velocities and changes in speed without the overuse of multiple straight maximal efforts. That is, too many consecutive maximal efforts with 40-60m accelerations that achieve approx. the same velocities (or whatever distance is necessary for an individual to hit maximal velocity) will create the unwanted dynamic stereotype or speed barrier too soon in a speed development program. Higher velocities could be achieved eventually (theoretically) with the inclusion of broken runs/speed changes drills (ins/outs), sprint float sprint, along with accelerations, and fly-ins.

2)The use of the speed change drills to promote complete relaxation by promoting a smooth speed change which, in part, can be done because the velocities achieved are going to be sub-maximal especially with EFE.

Wasn’t there a quote (I cannot find old threads even when searching archives) where CF said that the speed achieved on the F of EFE was similar to velocity you hit at 10m of a 100m race?

Thank you Pioneer…

Yes, that’s in Speed Trap (page 243).

Thanks martijn, its been a long time.