Photogram analysis

Looking at the thread “female sprinter …” i was ispired to “film” my athlete to see if my impressions were right,and to ask some suggestions in this wonderful forum.

Starting (acceleration). Photogram nearest the maximum extension of steps from 2 to 6…
Ok,he is playing drum with his right arm-hand. :slight_smile:
It seems that he is doesn’t full extend his hip-leg (even if i need a more photograms to be sure about that).
Do you think he must lean more forward too?

Speed phase.
(As before,maybe he is not full extending
th hip).
It appears that he is extending his knee a little much before extending the hip.Isn’t it ??

Off course he is running quite fast,so i wan’t change much.I do agree with Charlie about paralysis for analysis.

I agree. It does not look like he is getting full extension as you mentioned. This may not be the case if we are missing frames. Are you showing us every frame. In 30fps?
Also the imagines may be a bit dark but from first glance it appears that he may be overstriding. I may just be imagining this however.

In the velocity phase, in a couple of the frames his hands seem to be going a bit high perhaps contributing to the possible over-striding that Quik is alluding to. It could be the angle, however, but the tips of his fingers appear to reach as high as the top of his head.

Sometimes the speed drills could be good predictors.

When doing skipA he wasn’t seem to get the full extension.
When doing the skipB, he was putting much emphasis on the knee extension.
When doing quite all the drills, he “plays drums” with the right arm.

Quikazhell: no the video is very poor quality,i was using a digital photocamera.It was only an experiment :slight_smile:

In regard of SkipB , i usually see athletes performing this drill putting very much emphasis on the knee extension.
Do you think that is a bad habit and would conduct to overstriding when running?

Yes. I’m not a big fan of exaggerated knee extension in b-skips. The lower leg “swingout” in a b-skip is ideally simply the consequence of the upper leg change of direction.

I’d take the B skip right out of your program. First off, the casting out of the lower leg actually happens quite naturally. The way people do B skips now days…it isn’t worth the time. Even Loren Seagrave has taken these out of his program.

Dan

Ok thanks for your feedbacks.

Just today i correct very much his skipB; i told him he has not to think at all about knee extension;this would happen naturally as “consequence of the upper leg change of direction” (mortac8) :slight_smile:

He understood very well. His last coach teached him speed drills like something only for warming up…he didn’t know that in drills you have many aspects of the proper form of running.Now he performs the drill well.

Really Seagrave did this? A bit drastic…but maybe he would have his reasons…

The start…he is fast,so i don’t think i would change everything…but somethink i don’ t like happens :-).
In the photogram is not so easy the catch…watching the video is more clear this time.

What i don’t like is his first step.
First he drives his leg so low…an so far…is like he is jumping ,instead trying to be faster exploding forward.
But i don’t know how to solve the problem.
In fact i gave him different tips,as start fallin and drive with the left arm.
Any suggestion?

Nobody else has mentioned this, but it appears to me as if the arm swing during the backside mechanics is quite straight. I would think you want a tighter radius with more bend at the elbow. With the quicker arm action as a result, overstriding might be reduced.

First of all thanks for your useful feedback.

Don’t know about this…i saw a slow motion of Green and Ato’s starts(but from blocks) and i see a straight arm. But your intuition makes sense.
In these photogram i wasn’t still telling him to concentrate on the driving arm.

I also think that the photograms don’t show so well what i can see with my eyes(on track and on the video).
Maybe(IMHO) he has a too long flight time between the ending of the extension and the contact with the leading foot.Look also that the point where he touches the ground with the leading foot is far from the (vertical projection of the)point he reaches when the rear leg is fully extended and still touching the ground.
I think that could be a loss of time between contacts and so,thrusts.

P.S: I repeat that maybe my observations are too academic;so the sense of my post is for having a good discussion.

Might ever the time and energy put in B skips be wisely reallocated?