Phase 2 Short to Long

Charlie,
Forgive me if I missed this in a previous thread, but I just finished watching the new Edmonton video and I’m a bit curious as to how you would extend the short to long progression for the outdoor season, specifically the speed endurance.

For phase 1 speed endurance, you begin with a high number of reps at 60m, i.e., 3x[4x60], with limited acceleration and shorter (incomplete) recoveries and then progress to fewer reps, longer accelerations and longer recoveries. For phase 2 would you follow a similar progression such as starting out with, e.g., 2x[80, 100, 120, 150] or 3x[80, 100, 120] with an intensity limit of 30-40m, and shorter rest intervals, e.g., 6 min./15 min., and then drop the reps while increasing the acceleration and recovery? Or does the longer distance of the runs eliminate or reduce the need to rely on an early period of incomplete recoveries?

Well you could start at least 2 ways.

One with repeats of say 80m or the other in ascending or descending distances e.g. 80, 100, 120 or 120,100,80 etc… It really all depends on your personal circumstances and the atheltes you are working with, thier age, development etc…

would you have intensity limits for the 120,100,80?

Probably not unless the athlete has issues with trying to run at 95% etc or you want to keep a lid on the speed for some reason.

just curious why is there a int limit on the distances 60-80 but not 100+?

Usually, there would be no intensity limit as top speed is already developed by then.

i thought the int limit was there to control the speed (intensity) of the run?

Yes it is as you progress through the completion of accel abilities and on to top speed abilities, which should be completed by early in Phase Two SPP. Once you have the top speed in place and are going for Speed End- it is done at max effort and full recovery unless otherwise noted as a sub-max day.

If the workout is slated as a submax day, would you usually increase the number of runs?

Hi Flash!

I guess in Phase II in a S to L plan, your top speed isn’t there yet, as you know. So, you have to find a way to progress Speed End. but also allow Top Speed to develop fully in the meantime.

Would back to back reps (e.g., 60s) be an option in your plans? And/or backed up with a longer rep of 80 - 100 m?
Or split runs of varying distances (e.g., 80 + 60 m) as a progression to longer distances?
Or repeat 80s, as TopCat said?
Personally, I don’t think I would go to >100 m-reps too soon unless there is a specific reason.

Others?

Well not if you are supposed to be having some kind of “down week”. But I’ve found that after some good workouts it can be useful to do a few sessions at 95% with a higher volume of runs and slightly shorter recoveries. Doing this you get to practice relaxation and technique a few more times even though the speed isn’t quite maximal.

Usually I would unless it was getting near the end of the phase.

Would you still include in-and-out drills (20E-20H-20E) on the non-SE days during Phase 2, with perhaps longer buildups (40-50m) for the finishing drills later in the phase?

Sorry to interfere :slight_smile: I just could not resist!!!

I would keep at least one speed day. Like the speed progression on the Vanc 04 graph.

I started using the vancouver 04 speed day on monday + weights mostly lower a little upper

Tuesday tempo

Speed endurance on wed Such as Charlies SE progression from the vanc 04 dvd or 4x2x50m with no rest (split runs) .

thurs wieghts upper body a little lower body

friday rest

Special endurance runs on Sat. 200-180-150 or 150-120-100-80 etc. Fast but relaxed. Or race.

It was going great until I did overspeed and gave myself a grade 2 hamstring pull like fool…

BTW PJ helped me set this up.

Well, the overspeed workout idea was not coming from me! Wish you quick recovery and be patient, PJ

CNS demand = Intensity of the runs x vol/duration. So as the speed goes up and the SE is added, the speed change drills diminish to keep things balanced. Usually, by the time you’re going 80, 100, 120, 150 the speed change drills have been dropped.
This also fits nicely with the concept of preventing a speed plateau from forming by using the speed change when intensity limits are still in place early on.

Thanks. That makes perfect sense.

Yeah I know it was not a good idea. But I have to admit it felt good running a 60 that fast…