Personal Best in the 50 yard Butterfly

I recently did a PB (or at least very close to it) in the 50 yard butterfly. My time was :25.2, which broke a PB I did in 2000. It is the first time I have gone under :26 in over four years. I am turning 31 in a few days, so I thought I’d share a few changes I made in my preparation that enabled me to go that fast.

The sprint was timed by my wife, and I went off her “Go!” She was not reacting to a gun, thus the disparity the start was at least largely erased. My wife’s timing thumb is extremely consistent (we’ve been married for seven years, so it had better be:)) So while the time is not “electronic accurate”, it is as close as I can get, and much more accurate than a hand time reacting to a gun.

Here are the things I did differently:

1. No lifting after GPP phase.
I have finally decided that sprint swimming is primarily a nervous system activity, and have stopped lifting while sprint training. I just can’t handle both stimuli at once, and this always resulted in overtraining. I have had some epic bouts with overtraining in the past, and I chalk it up to refusing to back off the weights.

So leading up to this race I had not lifted at all for over two months, excluding external rotator and upper back work for my shoulders.

2. Applying Auto-Regulatory Principles.
I rested at least three days between every sprint session, and kept careful tally of the percent dropoff I incurred during each sprint session. I know some have been very skpetical of the ubiquitous “DB Hammer” and his AREG principles, but I can tell you that this stuff worked for me. Due to Charlie Francis’s work I am hypersensitive to the nervous system anyway.

Utilizing a planned drop off at each session I was able to do times in workouts that were almost foreign to me. 1:07 100 meter freestyles (short course) from a push, :30 50 meter butterfly, etc. I know that may not sound like much to some but these are times I rarely, if ever did, before the application of AREG.

3. A solid aerobic base.
For the first time in years I spent a good four weeks and did nothing but aerobic training. I kept it light - never more 2000 meters in a day. But I decided that I wouldn’t be afraid of some intermediate work (75% - 85%) during the GPP phase. I think this helped somewhat down the road in the SPP phase. How aerobic work physiogically aids the sprinter I don’t know, but I believe it kept me from plateauing early, and increased my work capacity.

4. Proper warmup before the race.
I warmed up more before this race than I ever have before. After years of my first race being substandard, I decided to dramatically increase. I did a slow 400 yards, 2-3 50’s at 90% plus, and 1 or 2 all-out 25’s. Then rest for 45 minutes, stretching every muscle out before the race.

I know many will disagree with stretching, but I think for swimmers it just isn’t that big a deal, since swimming is a neural-rate exercise and not neural magnitude.

5. Use of Spike 1.5 hours pre-race.
For me this works without the shakes, tenseness, or fatigue of coffee. I note a discernible difference. It can be purchased at biotest.com. It has some caffeine but not too much, plus the Spike formula that Biotest is rather secretive about. They promise that it is not against the rules of any sport, and I trust them.

I do not recommend this supplement or any other for teenagers. You have all the “get up and go” you need. Save your money for Charlie Francis’s books and DVD’s.

Comments would be welcome.

Good job! And thanks for the update.

Thanks!

I should have added:

1. An effective taper.
    Five days out I did race simulation, going through my meet warmup, rest period, stretch, and two very fast sprints. Though I incurred only a very small dropoff (less than 3% surely) I believe this workout was key in accomplishing my personal best.

BTW, xlr8, I was thinking of trying something I have never really pursued before. Late in specific preparation before the taper, I was thinking of sprinting with a bulky suiit to add drag, much like sprinting with a parachute or with weight. Have you tried this? Has anyone on the site had experience with this?

I know it must be done very carefully, or the nervous system can be overloaded.

mmmmm interesting and welldone man.

So if i was to do a 100m, and 200m race next tuesday. About two days befor, i could do a warm up and race, as if i was there.

Interesting.

Hello Shumon. I would definitely space it out more than two days. Two days may not give your nervous system enough time to bounce back.

As swimming is at a lower speed the CNS effect is lessened so full speed work can prob occur closer to the final event than for track sprints.

Thanks Charlie. Is swimming a “neural-rate” exercise?

Regarding CNS fatigue, I am a seasoned veteran. Light-sensitive eyes, scattered stroke form, the whole bit. It’s awful. That’s why I am so intent on resting the CNS properly. Your books and articles influenced me a great deal. But I’ll never be able to do three sprint days a week! Lack the genetics I guess.

Good job on the pr and thanks for noting the things you did differently.

Thanks! No prob.

Good job! And very interesting… A few points caught my attention:

• relatevely low volume/high frequency aerobic conditioning
  • low frequency of (maximal,I guess) sprint sessions
  • interaction and possible disturbance of weight lifting and swim training

Would you ever like to share a little more of your experience and thoughts of the above for further discussion?

Absolutely. I love to talk about myself. :cool:

My aerobic conditioning work was at its height during the GPP phase, where I did 1500-2000 meters per day, and even instituted some intermediate work (75%-90%). I continued aerobic work through the SPP phase, but dropped the intermediate work and reduced the volume. During SPP I was doing 1000-1200 meters on these aerobic days at about 60% or so.

During the taper period in the two weeks before the race I dropped the aerobic work still further to the point that I would get in, do 300-400 or so, a few starts, and get out.

The frequency of sprint sessions was key for me. Over the years I have gone from 3 sprint sessions per week which resulted in serious overtraining, to two sessions per week, and now finally to a session every 3-4 days. Every 3-4 days seems to work really well for me, with one aerobic session inserted on day 2 between sprint sessions. Some athletes with superior recovery capacity or access to massage or physiotherapy might be able to sprint more often.

Giving up the weight lifting was psychologically difficult, because I have been a skinny guy most of my life and frankly there was a real vanity concern there. Would I shrivel up like a raisin? Would I lose all my power in the pool?

The answer to both was “No.” The sprint swimming enabled me to keep my power. In fact my kick has never felt faster. My size didn’t change a whole lot either (for what it’s worth.)

Track sprinting, being much more of a neuro-magnitude exercise, might be a different story.

Are you the same guy who started a discussion about sprint swimming on the DB hammer forum about 5 months back? I seem to recall a Wennington suggesting some things about sprinting that sound a whole lot like what I just read.

So you did sprints over short distances every 3-4 days with full recoveries shooting for PRs and “tempo” swimming on off days ? Or how exactly was your weekly schedule set up.

Hello Kelly. You know, I found a copy of a post I made last year on swimming and the nervous system, and Wennington’s response. It was copied onto the unofficial DB Hammer training forum, and Eric said it came from the “Old Forum.” Thanks for referencing that thread - it was a very informative exchange!

Yes, I sprinted every 3-4 days, and I always tried to fit an easy aerobic session between. Sometimes I failed at this - life gets in the way. But after the GPP phase the aerobic session was around 60% or so. During GPP I was not afraid to go into the intermediate range.

When I sprinted I tried to keep the drop off to around 4-6%. Usally anything in that range required four days to recover from. As I neared taper I would go even higher than that. I have rested as much as 6-9 days, but only after some truly epic workouts.