Periodization models and philosophies of 3 different successful coaches

Through a friend of mine i’ve been included in some emails that detail training protocols which have been quite successful.I present 3 different coaches views on training design all with their own success.

This coach includes a 9.8 guy, a few low 10s and 20.

monday 5x100m up hill @ 95% effort w walk back recover
increase the reps by 2 every 2 wks until wk 7&8 are 8 reps
tuesday- Stadium steps/ plyo quickness-explosion-cardio workout
wednesday- recovery day–see chiro/massage
thursday- jump run / med ball plyo/cardio
friday- any form of track work with numerous reps/short rest intervals
150m-walk50m-150m with 6 mn rest x 3 sets

Early season… Monday- speed endurance sample 300m+200+100+300@ 14 sec
with 6-8 mn rest
tuesday- starts with gun-instruction as needed-video as needed
3x20m+3x30m+2x40m
wed recovery
thursday- speed specific work such as 2x30+2x40+2x50 with full
recovery using 3 pt start
friday- modified version of monday if no competition on sat
150+130+110+80 @ 95% with8mn recovery

late season monday- 2x180@ race pace w full rest
tuesday block starts
wed recovery
thursday- 3x90m @ race pace w full rest
fri - travel
sat - compete

Coach #2 describes his philosophy

The level of intensity during the year is a function of what training phase you are in. I design the year into two seasons, indoor and outdoor. Each season would have 4 training phases. The amount of time spent in each phase would depend on the length of the season, the important competitions, etc. In general, the competition phase would be the least intense, to make sure you would be fresh to compete.

The volume would flucuate based upon the training phase, and the competitions you are attending. In general, volume would be lower in the competition phase. Typically, a peak would be designed around selection meets and other important competitions. Generally, these important events would have 2 week taper periods prior to competition, to allow the body to rest and be ready for high level competition.

A typical training week would have 2 high intensity speed work-outs, 2 high intensity weight training work-outs, 1 lighter weight work-out, and some recovery work on the off-days. I generally like to have the weight work the same day as the speed work in the morning, and speed in the afternon or evening. My philosophy is simple. In order to run fast you must train fast. You can only perform at high levels a few times per week. The off days are simply to get you prepared for speed days.

Coach number 3’s training protocol is included in the attached picture. His athlete has acheived olympic success in the 200/400m sprints.

Check it out, and discuss what you think.

You should tell us more on who are those groups and where do they train.

Table 3 : i don’t understand what is the column “speed”, example 200m 50%, what is it all about?

maybe ,volume = 200m , effort = 50%

A 200m effort at 50% :confused:

For the table the columns are weekly volumes and percentages intensities. For this coach i think 75% intensity is a pretty intense run in running shoes and not spikes. Not quite sure why this is.

Coach 1- Coach Stratton in Texas, trains Darvis Patton
Coach 2- Not quite sure where he trains
Coach 3- Coaches in Canada, his best athlete a female that has run 22.8 and 51.xs

The chart for Coach #3 is very interesting, but requires some interpretation.

ExT/Hills mix? How is that done?

The %'s are clearly not derived from project max’s for a given distance as 50% of anything is never speed or speed endurance.

What lifts were done? Any jumps work?

The schedule is intriguing though as it looks organized and methodical.

I saw the same terminology in some russian papers…work at 50 75 and 100%…to say build ups, speed sub max, speed max.
Who is the second coach?
Where are weights placed in >Stratton’s schedule?

More info for coach #3

The extensive tempo is broken in to reps of 70-100m with 3-4 reps per set and a limited recovery in between 1-2 minutes.

The speed endurance is done as repeat 200m with a given rest interval.

The special endurance is done in split runs of 4x70m with 30-60 seconds break between reps. In sets of 2-3.

I have no idea what his scheme for intensity is with the percentages. I see his athletes training every day and they pretty much run them anywhere between 85-95% speed. The 200’s are typically done at 28-30s, the hills are done at a fairly fast pace and the 70’s are run typically at 95%.

His methods are definitely structured but I don’t understand much of his reasoning. The one thing that I notice with his athletes are their ability to generate and use lactic acid. Although their top speeds dont change much throughout the year, the large chunk of speed work they do is competitive races at lower distances.

As for weights, he uses mostly bodybuilding schemes for squats, leg curls and lunges. Lifts twice a week and reps will vary from 10-6 from cycle to cycle.

With Coach Stratton he doesn’t plan the weights for his athletes. He lets them take care of that aspect.

The second coach actually doesnt coach anymore, he is a local guy that had a reputation of being able to take an athlete and squeeze every inch of speed out of them. I emailed him recently asking him about his philosophies. He never necessarily had the greatest talent pool in terms of his athletes but he sure produced some faster guys. He took two 11.3 guys and had them running 10.4 at their peaks. His ability to coach and periodize was a unique gift.

Thanks for the detailed response. You’ve really filled in most of the blanks for me, though I’m still a bit baffled by the %'s.

I had figured that the dynamic weights were done on a different day. Apparently this is incorrect?

The hills/ExT mix is still intriguing.

Are most of these sessions done indoors?

I can see Coach #2’s method getting results for a 100m runner but much any distance longer would seem to need a little more volume of SpE or SE.

We go indoors at about the end of october. I think thats the reason for the split runs.