Paris 400m Wariner 43.86

Looks like Merritt gave Wariner a scare in the US Olympic trials, and Jeremy is getting his act back together:

Official Results - Men - 400 Metres Pos Athlete Nat Mark Pts
1 Jeremy Wariner [USA] USA 43.86 20
2 LaShawn Merritt [USA] USA 44.35 16
3 Chris Brown [BAH] BAH 44.76 14
4 Tyler Christopher [CAN] CAN 45.08 12
5 Leslie Djhone [FRA] FRA 45.43 10
6 Reggie Witherspoon [USA] USA 45.93 8
7 Nicolas Fillon [FRA] FRA 46.46 6
8 Abderrahim El Haouzy [FRA] FRA 46.81 4

That looked like the old Wariner.

Another observation is that Tyler Christopher didn’t look very good. Seems like isn’t secure enough to move at the same point in the race as the top guys. :confused:

That looked like the old Wariner.

Another observation is that Tyler Christopher didn’t look very good. Seems like isn’t secure enough to move at the same point in the race as the top guys. :confused:

Tyler just came through the Canadian trials, and I think this was his first race in Europe this season. So taking on Wariner in sub 44 shape might have been a bit of an ask first up. He’ll sort things out.

I’m sure that some of it can be put down to the stage of training. The Canadian Trials may have even been a meet that they trained through.

What I think that I’m starting to see is an unwillingness to stay in contention over the 3rd 100m in order to save something for the final 100m. Don’t get me wrong on this, it isn’t a criticism as I really want to see this guy challenge for a medal due to the roots of his training. Hopefully he gets it together in the next couple of races leading in to Beijing.

I’m sure that some of it can be put down to the stage of training. The Canadian Trials may have even been a meet that they trained through.

What I think that I’m starting to see is an unwillingness to stay in contention over the 3rd 100m in order to save something for the final 100m. Don’t get me wrong on this, it isn’t a criticism as I really want to see this guy challenge for a medal due to the roots of his training. Hopefully he gets it together in the next couple of races leading in to Beijing.

That seems to have been a mistake that Wariner made in the US Trials, and that he seems to have corrected. If you let a guy that you can’t close down during the kick get away during the 3rd 100, it doesn’t matter what you save for the home stretch, does it?

Also, you’ll see a better view of medal chances (i.e., the bronze) in Stockholm, with David Neville in the mix.

Merritt moved really early at the trials. Last night Wariner measured him more effectively and didn’t have to press. He looked VERY good to me.

A prominent sprint coach that I know say that the race really begins at 270m. TC is already out of the race at that point. My guess is that Kevin Tyler has noted this and will try to make it right. The question is can it be repaired without having consequences at some other point in his race?

David Neville is coached by John Smith. I also train with that group (but with the pure sprinters) and I can tell you that JS has him ready at the right time. Tyler Christopher has a slightly faster PB, but Neville just ran his PB in the US trials–and he got there by opening it up on the 3rd 100. They have the video of the US 400 finals at nbcolympics.com (Neville is in the outside lane).

Tyler Christopher, Chris Brown, and David Neville will all be in the 400 in Stockholm. If Christopher wants to be in the mix for the bronze, he’s just going to have to make up his mind that he’s going to put the hammer down earlier–just like Wariner just showed.

Neville’s run from lane 8 impressed me. For him it will a matter of getting past just making the team and committing to getting a medal. Christopher and Brown have both have Championship medals so they know what to do. I expect the former to “wake up” when the Games arrive an would say he is the favorite for the bronze. The problem is that he is rehersing some rather bad habits. He seems insecure about his conditioning. Just my take.

[QUOTE=lkh]That seems to have been a mistake that Wariner made in the US Trials, and that he seems to have corrected. If you let a guy that you can’t close down during the kick get away during the 3rd 100, it doesn’t matter what you save for the home stretch, does it?

QUOTE]

The third 100, or at least part of it, is the re-acceleration zone (or, if you prefer, the surge zone) which entirely sets up (or ideally, should) the homestraight run.

The race may “start at 270” but the preparation is often done earlier. At least since John Smith’s guys dominated in the period from Seoul and thereafter at least to Barcelona 92 OG, that surge started earlier and earlier in the 400m race. A few guys were starting halfway down the backstraight and hammering through the 200m start area. They carried so much of their backstraight momentum through the bend (third 100m) that they were getting almost a slingshot effect propelling them on almost a “free ride” through the first half of the home straight. You’ve got to be bullet-proof to play that game, but that’s what you train for - to be able to use aggressive tactics like that. Michael Johnson of course was ridiculously aggressive through his third 100m and really worked out of the final corner.

This coach’s point was in line with what you are saying. You must be in position to run once you hit the 270m. The athlete shouldn’t hammer to that point and hold on ala Egbunike, nor should he lag and try to blast the final 130m which is what Christopher seems to be doing. It’s a balance that the athlete needs to feel without too much though.

Merritt took a page out of the MJ’s book at the Oly Trials. Wariner wasn’t ready to go from that far out yet, but it looks like he may be now. Christopher doesn’t look even close to ready to push to that point yet.

In 1988 didn’t Everett run the back straight hard while Lewis held back. I forget and you were there, so remind if you don’t mind.

Also Chambers and Quow just broke 45.0 today in Barcelona so the plot thickens.

The preliminary start list for Stockholm:

88 BAIN, Andretti 85 BAH
101 BROWN, Chris 78 BAH
103 CHAMBERS, Ricardo 84 JAM
105 CHRISTOPHER, Tyler 83 CAN
107 CLEMENT, Kerron 85 USA
138 JAKOBSSON, Mikael 81 SWE IF Göta
142 JOHANSSON, Fredrik 86 SWE IF Göta
173 MILBURN, Joel 86 AUS
175 MOKDASI, Andreas 84 SWE Hässelby SK
181 NEVILLE, David 84 USA
183 NIKITIN, Thomas 82 SWE Spårvägens FK
210 SMITH JR, Calvin 87 USA
211 STEFFENSEN, John 82 AUS
227 WARINER, Jeremy 84 USA
231 WISSMAN, Johan 82 SWE IFK Helsingborg
46 WITHERSPOON, Reggie USA
232 WROE, Sean 85 AUS

Going to be interesting, and not to mention Allyson trying to tweak the nose of Sanya again in the 400 (last year I think Allyson won by 0.1).

Most definitely will be interesting to see what comes from that.

400m WR from 68, 88 & 99
the 88 one in particualr shows some really varying strategies.

//youtu.be/72e86vwvqF0

400m Olympic finals men 1972-2004

//youtu.be/UF3A4CF3ls0

1988 starts at 4.45