Overstrider

Hey, I thought I would bring this to the board. I coach a 14 year old jumper and sprinter. she runs 13.3 fat and has been training for 2 years under another coach who i now work with. Her biggest problem is her strides are way to big, causing her hips to drop. Her cog is clearly under her as when she makes contact with the ground her leg is really bent and her foot lands way infront of her. She has told me that she believes to be faster to she needs a big stride. I explained to her that it is the hip height thatll help her gain a greater stride and that she should not try to reach.

For all the coaches out there im looking for drills or cues to help correct this. She is strong in both the hips and core and in great condition. But I want a way to help her break the habit as it is cleary slowing her down.

Any suggestions or comments are great. And ill try to answer any questions. I have no video of her running.

Would A runs beneficial in a case like this?? Short striding, contacting under the hips, teaching collection of the lower segment of the leg as opposed to flicking it out and over reaching??

SORRY TO HACK, but:

“Contracting under the hips”, i always thought about this one… seems like if you don’t contract there, knee lift is crap and it takes away like 15 inches out of each stride

thats how I look when I run, i am going over the support knee, but start the knee extension halfway though, while the knee isn’t high yet, so no good stride length… watching my videos is annoying, i want to get into the computer screen and kick myself in the butt…

I guess a good cue for me is not just go over the support knee, but go ALL THE WAY over the support knee, when the HEEL clears, then you extend (naturally)

Could this be a flexibility issue though ? of what muscle ?

What u think maris?

I think if you do a google search of Loren Seagrave, some papers discussing this come up. It maybe due to flexibility of the quads and glutes if you are not able to clear the knee properly. In my experience, when performing the mach drills, athletes try and reach with the leg as opposed to follow the natural extension, and I have put that down to a skill.

I would guess it is more likely you need to learn the skill as opposed to lack of flexibility, so I would practice the A runs (I prefer them to the skips, more relevant in my eyes) but keep the flexibility work up in the muscle groups concerned. Another issue here is dorsiflexion, as that allows the knee angle to remain closed for longer, as it engages the gastrocnemius as a knee flexor, so you are not so reliant on the hamstring. Therefore keeping this angle close for longer gives you better knee clearance and a better kneelift. In addition, you are partially resting the hamstring in each stride cycle, reducing the injury risk. Try doing some traditional heel flicks with the foot plantar flexed, and then dorsi flexed. Tell me if you can’t feel the difference. One should make you feel like you’re about to cramp pretty soon!!

Can you have someone watch you perform these drills? Preferably someone who knows what to watch for.

I have tried walking, skipping and running A’s and she can perform the drills fine. I have made her practice the drills over and over but when it comes to running it doesnt transfer over.

i would think up/down like she is marching rapidly, or think the ground as hot rocks and light touches, usually the athletes start getting high knees and good hip height from cues like that. not to claw but step down and as soon as she feels the floor to only think of driving hte knee up and down and repeat.

i would think up/down like she is marching rapidly, or think the ground as hot rocks and light touches, usually the athletes start getting high knees and good hip height from cues like that. not to claw but step down and as soon as she feels the floor to only think of driving hte knee up and down and repeat.

Do you have any of theose small plastic hurdles? The ones in this country are generally yellow, and they must be 7 inches or so, maybe a little higher. Could you not try placing them strategically so she strikes more or less where you want her to? This will also cause greater knee closure and subsequently the hips to be raised. Worth a try perhaps?

Do you have any of theose small plastic hurdles? The ones in this country are generally yellow, and they must be 7 inches or so, maybe a little higher. Could you not try placing them strategically so she strikes more or less where you want her to? This will also cause greater knee closure and subsequently the hips to be raised. Worth a try perhaps?

Do youi have any of those small plastic hurdles. In this country they tend to be yellow and are maybe 8-9 inches high or so. You could place them strategically to get the desired stride length. This also encourages knee closure and consequently raises the height of the hips. May be worth a try if you haven’t tried already??

Do youi have any of those small plastic hurdles. In this country they tend to be yellow and are maybe 8-9 inches high or so. You could place them strategically to get the desired stride length. This also encourages knee closure and consequently raises the height of the hips. May be worth a try if you haven’t tried already??

Do you have any of those small plastic hurdles. In this country they tend to be yellow and are maybe 8-9 inches high or so. You could place them strategically to get the desired stride length. This also encourages knee closure and consequently raises the height of the hips. May be worth a try if you haven’t tried already??

I see, so i should step over like this :

http://karlesmontalt.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/jeremy-wariner.jpg

rather than stepping over with a dorsiflex

nothing natural about that for me… but it’s slowly getting better each time.

I see, so i should step over like this :

http://karlesmontalt.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/jeremy-wariner.jpg

rather than stepping over with a dorsiflex

nothing natural about that for me… but it’s slowly getting better each time.

Do you have any of those small plastic hurdles. In this country they tend to be yellow and are maybe 8-9 inches high or so. You could place them strategically to get the desired stride length. This also encourages knee closure and consequently raises the height of the hips. May be worth a try if you haven’t tried already??

Apologies for the duplicates. I think the site was having some technical problems this morning so I kept trying to repost the same message. As you can see, I got carried away!! Is there anyway to delete them.