OSTRAVA REPORT - 12Jun03 - EL G sub-13 in 5k debut but Stephen Cherono shaping as Kenya's next

OSTRAVA, Czech Republic, June 12 (AFP) - Morocco’striple 1500m world champion Hicham El Guerrouj had tosettle for second place in his first ever attempt at the5000m at the IAAF Grand Prix meet here on Thursday.
El Guerrouj, who is aiming at a 1500m-5000m double atthe world championships in Paris in August, led into thehome straight where he was passed by Kenyan StephenCherono, the Commonwealth Games steeplechase champion.
Cherono clocked 12min 48.81sec, the quickest time ofthe season and the seventh fastest of all time, with ElGuerrouj crossing the line 1.43secs behind.
I didn't expect to beat El Guerrouj,'' said the20-year-old Cherono. I ran a great time today at 5000m and I also run thesteeplechase but I prefer the 1500m.’’
El Guerrouj, who last ran a 5000m as a junior in 1992,admitted that he still has some work to do before he isa recognised threat in the event.
``I saw tonight I am not a 5000m runner yet, but Ihave a good feeling from my first 5000m. I have to workon my rhythm and I will continue running the distance.’’
Another Kenyan, Cornelius Chirchir, won the 1500m in3:31.17.
Britain’s Mark Lewis Francis clinched victory in themens 100m in a time of 10.07secs, a meet record, to edge out Commonwealthchampion Kim Collins, of St Kitts and Nevis, with DwainChambers, also of Britain, in third place, in 10.16.
The third British runner in the race, Jason Gardenercould only manage seventh in 10.27.
The womens sprint was dominated by the Bahamas’ doubleCommonwealth gold medallist Debbie Ferguson who led fromthe start to finish in 11.20.
Felix Sanchez of the Dominican Republic showed why heis world champion in the speciality when lifting the400m hurdles in 48.10.
Among the women, America’s world record pole vaulterTracy Dragila was beaten into second, her vault of 4.58meclipsed by the 4.70m effort produced by Russia’sTatyana Polnova.
jt/nr/dj03

Athletics-CZE
AFP :clap::clap: