Osaka M100 Final Splits

THIS DATA FROM THE PRELIMINARY REPORT OF THE JAPANESE BIOMECHANICS TEAM IN OSAKA.
THIS INFORMATION HAND-TYPED FROM HARDCOPY BY “OUR MAN IN OSAKA” THE GREAT PJ :smiley:

MEN’S 100M FINAL (only the medallists so far).

Top speed : Gay 11.83m/s at 65m, Atkins 11.74m/s at 55m, Powell 11.79m/s at 55m

Intermediate times

RT then 10m sections

0,143 1,90 1,04 0,92 0,88 0,85 0,85 0,85 0,85 0,86 0,86 Gay
0,143 1,90 2,94 3,86 4,73 5,59 6,44 7,28 8,13 8,99 9,85 Gay

0,137 1,90 1,03 0,94 0,89 0,86 0,85 0,86 0,85 0.86 0,87 Atkins
0,137 1,90 2,93 3,87 4,75 5,62 6,47 7,33 8,18 9,04 9,91 Atkins

0,145 1,87 1,04 0,93 0,88 0,86 0,85 0,87 0,87 0,88 0,93 Powell
0,145 1,87 2,91 3,83 4,71 5,57 6,42 7,28 8,15 9,03 9,96 Powell

PJ observes: “So Charlie was right, Gay had fastest top speed. Without the biomec report, it was visibly Gay who had fastest top speed since he passed Asafa at 60m mark and that usually around that point where they reach their top speed.”

Even though Gay had the higher top speed, Powell had the lead at the 60m 6.42 (AP) to 6.44 (TG) Then look what happened.

Heres the breakdown…

0,87 0,87 0,88 0,93 Powell
0,85 0,85 0,86 0,86 Gay

.02+.02+.02+.07= 1.3

You guys must have forgot about this…watch Gay get smoked!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAvfinsMVAk

Doesn’t he look leaner to you there?

He looks a lot leaner actually.

So Powell has gone backwards compared with his last two seasons and Gay has improved…excuse me for stating the obvious. Coach Stephen Francis needs to figure out why his man has failed to progress, whether it is attitude, injury, training and the nexus between those three key factors.

what do you think about the value (and timing) of the Commonwealth Games last year?
Whether you have a L-to-S or a S-to-L program, the other factor is the length of the phases between competitions.

Maybe my math is off but the split from 60 to 70m looks like a .84 so Gay should be credited with a higher top speed(as he has been already) and a faster 10m split. Isn’t that correct (unless the splits taken to the thousandth round it up to a .85)?

Wasn’t Asafa reasonably injured prior to CWG last year.

It looked to me as Asafa couldn’t handle someone on his shoulder and moving past him.

Isn’t that similar to Ben learning to relax?

Welcome to 2007.

I don’t think the splits were off, remember Gay was coming back on Asafa, so he probably needed a higher top speed somewhere in the race to do so. Charlie can correct me if I’m wrong.

I’ve always thought southern hemisphere nations had the advantage over the north because, while the northerners have to start the first peak their so-called (and perhaps outdated) double periodised year indoors in freezing wintertime during the Feb-March period, the southerns can train outdoors in their summer with potentially less risk of injury or illness (colds and flu) before coming up for their domestic series or nationals also in the Feb-March slot.

I like the idea of multiple periodisation, because it forces dumb coaches to let their sprinters run fast.

In so doing they have a real test of their program, the athletes understand suddenly why they have been training and why they must continue to step it up over the ensuing months through to the northern hemisphere outdoor season.

I think the Com Games in March 2006 fitted the bill perfectly for Powell and Fasuba (1-2 in Melbourne 100m) - just as the domestic Aussie series suited Ben Johnson when he popped over to Perth in early 1987 and ran some ridiculously fast hand-timed 100m before wrecking the world indoor record upon returning to the deep north a week or two later.

Yes. i think the math works out to a .84 split for Gay.

And with the world championships in Japan this year and the Olympics in the same time-zone in Beijing next year, it beggars belief that coaches wouldn’t want to take advantage of domestic races in a nice environment in the same time-zone by racing in Australia. Yet, from what I’ve seen, on Merritt turned out to race Steffensen in the Aussies domestic series earlier this year (Jan-March period). Oh, and the 100m hurdles women’s world titleholder also ran downunder.

You’d think they’d learn: from the days when Allan Wells trained and competed in Australia every year and also Linford Christie from 1989 to the finish of his career.

Perhaps the Commonwealths work out as a blessing in disguise, as it forced coaches who often don’t see the value of indoors to get their athletes running fast for March, so their would be GPP1 and SPP1 carry more specificity?? Without this focus, it leads to some coaches trying to build a larger endurance base, taking them further away from the speed nature of the event for longer.

[QUOTE=DMA]Wasn’t Asafa reasonably injured prior to CWG last year.QUOTE]

Were they not still referring to the adductor from the previous summer?? I felt that was still being mentioned as his last meet before he was in Australia was Crystal Palace '05, and he never had a full year between that and his next competitive focus. From watching him I never saw any signs of the injury. Especially if you consider the phase of the race it bothered him at Palace. The amount of times in Australia he went through that same phase unbothered suggested perhaps it was long gone??

I think it’s interesting that a number of people(looking at some other sites)keep claiming that “they know Powell has the same top speed as TG”. Well in that race he certainly did not-obviously. They are of the belief, it seems, that max. velocity is static and only the speed endurance changes.

He looks slighter yes. Would you say there is any change in his body composition since then?

Was it this past winter when asafa missed a few sessions? I remember someone sayin he was lazy this past winter :confused: maybe thats why he gained more weight?

Thanks Maris.

KitKat then why don’t Australian’s use it to there advantage? Athletes seem to complain that they have to peak in March then for the Europe season.

But if Australians had to peak in March and the World’s/OL are Late August/Early September that gives them at least 5 months to do so.

That DMA is one of the mysteries of the sport - like why do so many coaches need to reinvent the wheel at the expense of their protege, instead of accepting the advice of coaches like CF who’ve been there, done that. It’s such a laugh. :rolleyes: