Osaka Biomechanics report on Gay & Powell

Mid-phase sprinting movements of Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell in the 100-m
race during the 2007 IAAF World Championships in Athletics

Akira Ito, Koji Fukuda and Kota Kijima
Osaka University of Health and Sport Sciences, Osaka, Japan

Abstract
In the present study, the running movements of Tyson Gay (9.85 seconds) and Asafa Powell (9.96
seconds) who finished first and third, respectively, in the 2007 IAAF World Championships in
Athletics were analyzed. Their data were compared to past data (Ito et al., 1998) in order to
determine the characteristics of both sprinters.
Maximal sprint running velocity was 11.85 m/s for Gay and 11.88 m/s for Powell. For Gay
and Powell, step frequency was 4.90 and 4.96 steps/s, respectively, and step length was 2.42 and
2.40 m, respectively. According to Ito et al. (1998), sprint running velocity is not related to maximum
thigh angle “high knee”, but the faster the sprint running velocity, the greater the minimum knee
angle. The maximum thigh angle for Gay and Powell was comparable at 65° and 70°, and the
minimum knee angle for Gay and Powell was 41° and 38°, respectively, and these numbers were
similar to the data obtained by Ito et al. (1998). The horizontal distance from the toe at the point of
landing to the center of gravity for the two sprinters was 0.31 m, and this number is comparable to
that for sprinters who run 100 meters in 11 seconds (Fukuda and Ito, 2004). Therefore, it is not
necessarily good to land immediately underneath the center of gravity when landing. In support leg
movements, an interesting finding was seen with maximum knee extension velocity for Gay and
Powell. During landing, the knee joint of both sprinters always remained bent, and when
acceleration force was expressed during the later half of the support phase, the extension velocity
had a negative value: -50 degrees/s for Gay and -68 degrees/s for Powell.
Training guidance that attempts to increase sprint running velocity by reducing the
deceleration associated with landing must be reexamined because the landing distance for Gay
and Powell is comparable to that of sprinters who run 100 m in 11 seconds. What is important here
is that Gay and Powell continue to bend the knee of the support leg during the support phase, and
training guidance that instructs sprinters to actively extend the knee and ankle joints of the support
leg must be reevaluated.

1. Introduction
While the 100-m sprint is a simple sport, it requires athletes to compete by running at top
speed, and the winner of the 100-m sprint receives the greatest accolades in track and field. In
order to run the 100-m sprint with good results, fast reaction time after the start signal and acceleration after the start are important, but the most important element is maximum sprint running
velocity. World-class sprinters reach their maximum sprint running velocity in about 70-80 m (Ae
and Ito, 1992), and the maximum sprint running velocity of sprinters who run 100 m in less than 10
seconds is ≥11.8 m/s (Ito et al., 1998). Fast sprint running requires a strong body and efficient
running movements.
In the present study, the running movements of Tyson Gay (9.85 seconds) and Asafa
Powell (9.96 seconds) who finished first and third, respectively, in the 2007 IAAF World
Championships in Athletics were analyzed while they were running at top speed in the final race.
Their data were compared to past data (Ito et al., 1998) in order to determine the characteristics of
both sprinters.
2. Methods
During the final race for the men’s 100-m sprint event during the 2007 IAAF World
Championships in Athletics, two high-speed video cameras (Phantom v4, Vision Research Inc,
USA)were placed at the highest row of the spectator stands on the start line and on the finish line in
order to capture Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell at the 60-m mark. The two cameras were
synchronized and captured images at 100 Hz. Using motion analysis software (DKH, Tokyo, Japan),
the two-dimensional coordinates of 24 body points were scanned at 100 fps, and the direct linear
transformation method (DLT) was used to calculate three-dimensional coordinates where the x-axis
was the direction of sprinting, the y-axis the vertical direction perpendicular to the ground, and the
z-axis was the horizontal line parallel to the starting line. The error between calculated
three-dimensional coordinates and the actual values of the calibration points in the x, y and z-axis
directions was 0.005 m, 0.005 m and 0.005 m, respectively. The three-dimensional coordinates
were subjected to smoothing at 7 Hz using the Butterworth method.
For comparison, data accumulated from men’s 100-m sprint events in international
competitions and official Japanese track and field meets were used. Of our previous data, the best
sprint record was the 9.86 seconds that Carl Lewis ran at the 1991 IAAF World Championships in
Athletics in Tokyo.
3. Results and Discussion
Step frequency and step length
Sprint running velocity was determined based on the distance covered by the center of
gravity over two steps, and sprint running velocity at the measurement point was 11.85 m/s for Gay
and 11.88 m/s for Powell. Figure 1 shows the relationships among sprint running velocity, step
frequency and step length. According to past data (Ito et al., 1998), the faster the sprint running
velocity, the greater the step frequency and the larger the step length. For Gay and Powell, step frequency was 4.90 and 4.96 steps/s, respectively, and step length was 2.42 and 2.40 m,
respectively, and these numbers mostly agreed with past data. Gay is 1.83 m tall and Powell is 1.90
m tall, and the step length to height ratio for Gay and Powell is 1.32 and 1.26, respectively. Hence,
while Gay is a step-length type sprinter, Powell is a step-frequency type sprinter. When Carl Lewis
set the world record of 9.86 seconds in 1991, step frequency was 4.67 steps/s, step length 2.53 m
and step length-to-height ratio 1.35 (Ito et al., 1994).

(pics / graphs more info to follow)

Powell is listed at 1.90m tall, thats 6feet 2.75inches. And KK thought that Powell was 5’11.

During landing, the knee joint of both sprinters always remained bent, and when
acceleration force was expressed during the later half of the support phase, the extension velocity
had a negative value: -50 degrees/s for Gay and -68 degrees/s for Powell.
Training guidance that attempts to increase sprint running velocity by reducing the
deceleration associated with landing must be reexamined because the landing distance for Gay
and Powell is comparable to that of sprinters who run 100 m in 11 seconds. What is important here
is that Gay and Powell continue to bend the knee of the support leg during the support phase, and
training guidance that instructs sprinters to actively extend the knee and ankle joints of the support
leg must be reevaluated.

Knees bent during support phase, that puts a end to the triple extension theory. At face value breaking at footstrike is normal, if Powell and Gay do it than the rest of us don’t need to worry. Interesting to note that data on MJ, shows the opposite. MJ lands closer to the COM with less bend at the knee joint. This raises questions in regards to sprint mechanics of the 100m v 400m.

Sharmer you are such a hater. Mate, you are damaged goods

I knew you would react in such a manner. You did previously vehemently state that Powell stood eye to eye with you, so that he would be 5’11. And most of the forum were surprised as he looks to be at least 6’1. The IAAF study had him listed at 6’2. Now away with the platform goldfish shoes.

I didn’t run a tape over him if that’s what you wanted to know. I made the observation that he didn’t look as tall as his published statistics suggest. Do you suppose the Japanese guys measured him? Or do you think they took his height from the biographical data which was entered under his name? You probably think that everyone in the NBA is also a seven-footer. Funny how they shrink in real life. My own son is 190cm so I’m fairly accustomed to looking up to him. I was looking Asafa eye to eye, as you write, and it was definitely my impression that he was not 190cm tall. It was not meant as a criticism of Asafa for heaven’s sake man, it was a simple personal observation and I stand by it. Get over it. If you have nothing positive to contribute, please contribute nothing at all.

If he was in spikes and you were in shoes, I would think thats at least 1 inch. Additionally if you were on higher ground thats another inch. Regardless I don’t see the positive or negative connotation. The fact is Asafa not 5’11, its as simple as that.

He was in joggers, we were standing on the same level on the track. The negative connotation is that you have managed, once again, to turn a civil discussion, in this case the Osaka biomechanics report for heavens sake, into your personal battleground.

why is it that in every thread you seem to be arguing with people??

I write…

And KK thought that Powell was 5’11

These four words equal personal battleground. Nows thats fantasy. As usual you don’t have the grace to accept error, and you need to float around personal insults. Okay your right Asafa 5’11, its over.

As I suspected - Powell still hit a higher max v in this particular race than Gay… and Powell has a significantly flexed knee through support, I did not expect the same to be true for Gay however.

I think the flexed knees assist in power output but I don’t think that this would be benefical for the 400m.

I do think it would become a hindrance if the quads were overly involved, but obviously Powell uses his powerful posterior chain and great front side mechanics… i think this knee flexion allows for quicker turn over as full triple extension comes slightly behind the body; to much TE too late puts a lot of strain on the hip flexors and slows stride rate IMO. Basically Powell gets a powerful stride without TE which in turn allows quicker cadence.

The quads contract eccentrically to stabilise the body, they do not produce propulsive force during the max speed phase.

The sitting is down to the speed of hip extension prior to stance phase. The greater the hip extension (back swing) velocity, the less time there is to extend the knee before stance. This study is not conclusive. Carl Lewis, Ray Stewart, Robson Da Silva, B Johnson were able to triple extend. Kim Collins, Dwayne Chambers, Donovan Bailey were sitters.

The quicker you can hip and knee extend at the same time, the less likely you are to sit. This relies heavily on the co-ordination of the hamstrings.

So it becomes a motor control issue as well as a strength issue, or as opposed?? I would argue one of the better examples of the triple extension was Darren Campbell.

Tom Tellez said you shouldn’t straighten at the knee and the leg movement should be cyclical and compared it to the movement of a wheel, and any full extension could cause braking. I can see his argument when the leg is ahead of the centre of mass, but not so much behind it. Thoughts??

Gay and Powell are faster than anyone in that group at the exception of Ben. So that knee bend may be optimal for overall faster 100 times. The study does not test any hypothesis, (knee flexion equals higher speeds) it collects data to compare with previous data in order to find the characteristics of top 100m guys.

We had a pretty good discussion on this recently- anyone got the link?

If we can get the previous thread up- I think one of the points is that the hip height leads to greater extention throughout BUT perhaps more at initial contact and progressively less over the brief contact period for Asafa. No doubt, there is individual variability as well.

Its both, the stronger you are the easier the action becomes. The stronger you are the more likely you are to have intra-muscular co-ordination.

If you look long enough and use different transforms to treat data you can manipulate to suit what you are looking for.

Faster at top speed? I doubt that, you mean they have more segments in the race that are close to their max but not necessarily the fastest absolutely. Advances in shoe design, where better materials technology and the use of parametric software to compute finite element analysis plus better track surfaces gives them the advantage, it maybe miniscule advantages but they do magnify the impact of the performance. Maurice never ran a 12 m/s and neither has Gay or Asafa, yet Lewis and Johnson achieved 12+ m/s on much softer tracks and probably with less better designed footwear and the use of composite materials and better thermoplastics selection, it all counts at the top end of the sport.

Technically the modern sprinters are running differently but is that due to the surface leading the technique (mondo) or is it down to new developments in biomechanics (which I very much doubt)?

Maurice Greene did not reach the same top speed because his coach consciously changed the biomechanics to avoid slowing down (more) at the end.

Using PJ’s data for Asafa at Rieti, Asafa vs. Ben:

Split Asafa Ben
20-30 0.91 0.93
30-40 0.86 0.86
40-50 0.84 0.84
50-60 0.83 0.83
60-70 0.83 0.84
70-80 0.83 0.85
80-90 0.86 0.87
80-100 0.90 0.90
100m 9.74 9.79

Ben was actually ahead by 0.01 at 20m, and they both slowed down by essentially the same amount at the end of the race. The difference is what John Smith’s been preaching for years now. Gatlin also did not have full extension at initial contact, as did (not) Mo in his 9.79.

This is changed biomechanics. If you do drive phase, you spend the first half of the race with your head down, progressively coming up, and when you do come up at 50-60 meters, you lean slightly forward (or more than slightly if you’re Walter Dix) and maintain the same mechanics that got you to that point.

Advantage, sitters.