OSAKA -8April04- Liu Xiangof 13.06 Redhotstix

OSAKA, Japan, April 8 (AFP) - Sydney Olympic Gameschampion Maurice Greene was just two hundredths of asecond off his fastest time of the season in winning themen’s 100 metres at the IAAF Japan Grand Prix onSaturday.
The triple world sprint champion clocked 10.04seconds, beating fellow Americans J.J. Johnson by seventenths of a second and Mickey Grimes by eight tenths.
Greene, the winner here in 2000 and 2001, said afterhis win: As far as my race, it was OK. I planned torun faster than I did, but I have to take the win as Idid it.'' Earlier in the day, world bronze medallist Liu Xiangof China set a new Asian record in the men's 110mhurdles to avenge his loss at the world championships toAmerican Allen Johnson. The 20-year-old Chinese athlete clocked 13.06 to beatJohnson into second place by seven hundredths of asecond and Maurice Wignall of Jamaica into third. Worldsilver medallist Terrence Trammell, from the US, wasfourth in 13.31. Liu's time meant he beat his own previous Asian recordof 13.12 set in 2002 when he was 18. I’m not in good shape, I feel pain in my leg, butI’m satisfied with the result very much,’’ said ajubilant Liu, the Asian Games gold medallist. He hadhurt his knee during practice shortly before the race.
It was the first time I took part in aninternational competition this season. Maybe the othertwo (Johnson and Wignall) had already run, but I wasable to beat them today. I’m really happy about it. I believe this win willremain in my mind for a long time.’’
Liu, however, said he was not satisfied with his firstthree hurdles, which he should have cleared quicker.
If I had been a bit faster to clear the first threehurdles, my time would have been much faster,'' Liusaid. With the improvement in his time, Liu is one of thetop favourites in the Athens Olympic Games in August. If I can keep believing in myself, I can do verywell in the Olympics, but honestly speaking, he(Johnson) is a better athlete,’’ Liu said.