orthotics in running trainers & sprint spikes

I’ve had an injury for the past eighteen months, and though it is healing, I’m concerned about useing orthotics in sprint spikes and trainers. I haven’t used any orthotics in my trainers for running as of yet - but I’m thinking of getting some.

especially after reading about the so called benefits of 'bare foot running on grass (to keep the feet strong - and all that stuff.)

I’ve read that well padded trainers and orthotics can decrease the strength of the foot, but who the hell is going to use the bare minimum padding on the concrete paths (for jogging) and the running track (for sprints) and the field ;/ gym (for plyometrics.)?

Do any of you ever use a little xtra protection on your feet when you do sprint training?

I’ve seen Christopher lameatre’ take orthotics out of his sprint spikes and put them in to his walking trainers /sneakers at end of sprint session.

I’ve also seen linford Christie tape up his feet, before putting on the sprint spikes for a race.

How many of the top sprinters do you think use a little xtra protection?

And if it is sort of commmon, then it flies in the face of all those foot ‘experts’ who keep saying - use the bare minimum - when walking around and running - o as to strengthen the feet. I’m not sure those product sellers know exactly the kind of pounding a strong athlete can do when they train properly.

Any feed back on this question will be greatly appreciated.

I spoke to a Dr who is a colleague of Mike Prebeg that is in Connecticut and he said that using orthotics can be used as a way to let certain muscles of the foot that are over worked rest and recover. Sometimes if a foot muscle is over worked it can lead to mechanical issues while sprinting which can lead to injuries… Not sure how valid that is but he is a top notch Chrio (on the same level as Mike Prebeg) Also the extra padding can protect the small sesamoid bones on the bottom of the foot while sprinting… So a good orthotic may help you… The doc told me to try yoursole.com. I had a peronial tear where it inserts on the side of the foot that was caused by poor foot strength/mechanics and weak peronials…

Hope that helps good luck!!!

thanks very much. That’s just the kind of response I was hoping for.:slight_smile:

Sure man. My feet are a mess so I’ve been doing resarch… It’s only now at 40yo that I realize how important proper foot/ankle strength is.

I am thinking about doing a little side project for fun to research foot improvement for sports… Basically a “how to” for improving foot ankle weakness for sport and sharing it here…

Goose232, I have to use orthotics myself. Fortunately I had to start using them because I kept getting shin splints so they (the athletic training staff at michigan state). I also found out that the hoop team gets custom orthotics made for each player.
So just like my man nycjay01 said, I did some research on them myself but I also found out that doin some proprioceptive work helped eleviate the problem also (atc’s taught me this also).

I’ve spent so much money in the past buying and switching orthotics; if you decide that you need them, I suggest that you make sure a good doctor/physio/whatever tells you so, and make sure the product is up to par; BS’ing is not such a random quality out there =) I’ve been told by almost anyone (during some kind of an injury) that orthotics could solve the problem, but I am not willing to spend the money, and other things have helped me stay healthy (including being on grass during all tempo’s, ems’ing whatever is sore, keeping body weight where I feel it ‘comfortable’ training, running more correctly - God bless Charlie). =)

I am not personally a big fan of orthotics in spikes, as it adds weight to the feet and can slow you down. If there is a structural problem with the feet (which is what orthotics are for, NOT for long term functional usage), then I would use padding in the shoegear to acheive more biomechanical efficiency. If you are using orthotics just for functional problems, especially in your spikes, then something is wrong with your body that needs to be corrected!

Did you find a pair that helped?

How are your injuries BTW? I remember you had a few…

If you look at where your Tibilas Anterior joins into your foot, esp as you move your foot in slow circles, you should notice this muscle also acts to keep your Arch up and alive. Ppl who develop flat feet tend to have either tight and or Weak tib. ant. muscles, and or tight calfs and surrounding muscles.
Tib. Ant. acts as a stabilizer of the lower leg in more than one way. Strengthen/massage this muscle, and foot pain, achilies pain and many other pains start going away.
Joggers - mine last me like 400-500km, 3-4 months. They might look ok, but the support becomes uselss and leg pains develop.

You have to increase the strength of your posture muscles so they are no longer being overused and abused. And also strong enough so you no longer need orthotics or shoes with inbuilt extra foot control etc.

My posture muscles have allways been very strong.

My foot problem was the result of an accident I had 18 months ago. I had an operation (inside the foot - to the talus bone) at the hospital, and they kept me in for three days.

The thing is, my foot still has not fully recovered. I’ve tried many things to help my left foot get better, and never had problems with my foot before the injury.

At the moment - a combination of ‘wobble board’ and occasional physio seems to be helping a little.
But now I have pain in the top of the foot - as I think the metartarsals are getting compressed at the end of the bones. I think either my foot arch is collapsing a little or their is an over use issue with tendons in top of foot.

I’ve had just about every other foot muscle problem you can think of - during the last 18 months.

Plantar fascia, peroneus, anterior tibialis problems - but I have learned how to REHAB from those ones.

The only thing I’m trying to deal with now is pain in the top of the foot when I attempt to do even a basic skipping motion indoors.
I read that orthotics would help that one - and I’m hoping it’s true.

Goose 232,

I haven’t been on the board for a LONG time. I’m a sprint coach who also does biomechanical assessments and makes foot orthotics. Orthotics are designed to redistribute pressure on the bottom of the foot, improve function of the foot and/or to improve propioception. Everyone does not need orthotics, but having surgery to your talus means you should go to a foot professional to have them evaluate your foot.
WARNING: Foot orthotics are the biggest area of fraud in the health care industry. That doesn’t mean they don’t work. It means you need to do your homework first. Make sure you see someone who is reputable. Make sure they understand the demands of your sport. As your injury heals, your orthotics need to be adjusted for changes in your foot strike.
I hope that helps.

Thankyou. I’ve tried just baout everything in the last 18 months except custom made orthotics. I’ve ordered some comercial orthotics yesterday & I hope they help. Anyway, I’m now getting pain on top of foot and i dont know if it is hairline facture in foot bones, or what is causing the compression of those bones. My foot doesn’t appear ot collapse or anything and i dont have flat feet. It might even be a muscular pain as well - seeing as various foot muscles change their behaviour etc… ANyway - believe it or not : that is “on the mend” compared to where I was at - three months ago. Fingers crossed - I’m gonna be back to sprinting by January.

Yes, but do you really think having an injury to your talus, surgery and the following rehab didn’t cause any postural imbalances (compensations) that might now be hindering your recovery? Just food for thought.

Tough to beat North America’s best
Mike Forgraves and Sylvia Forgraves for foot advice, lower limb, calf and all things to do with running sports and impact related issues

I have been using orthodics made by this Winning Couple World Class ( or WC for short)
since grade 9 or 1981.
In 1984 Sylvia won the 100meter hurdles in 13:29 ( 3.9 but still awesome result).
I ran against Sylvia at Etobicoke Stadium in 1980 or 1981 …first place I remember meeting world famous track coach Charlie Francis
Contact his office
Use my name and this site as a reference
Kitchener/ Ontario/ Canada
I never ran against Mike LOL
he was world class as well and they both still are
Cheers
Ange

I agree be careful, my wife was prescribed orthotics when it turned out all she needed was her heels raised by foam inserts to take the strain off her achilles. Others sold orthotics and they have triggered worse problems than the initial injury.

Re my training group we have used barefoot work in a sand pit to strengthen the feet/ankles. One leg standing for balance + eyes shut with one leg raised. Small 2 footed jumps, med ball throws between partners, taken to a higher level stand on one leg and throw/catch between partners. It seems to help.

I’m not sure how you “order” orthotics. This is the kind of thing that I’m warning you about! Did the person evaluate your foot and compare range of motion between your injured and non-injured foot? How about some basic video analysis? Were you casted? What was the designation of the person you saw?

Hi Ange, Mike Forgrave is great! I know him well. I met him at one of our national conferences in BC and I’ve went to one of his lectures in Halifax. I was a 400m runner back in the day just like him… not as fast though. :frowning: I would recommend him in a heartbeat if goose 232 lives in Ontario. If not… it would be easier to follow up with someone closer at hand. So Goose 232. Where do you live?

Thankyou very much Ange.
I will deffinately contact his office later today for any advice about the foot.

My ankle rolls laterally to the outside when I walk. (This is my left foot - and my left ankle rolls slightly to the left. If I try to walk properly with correct alignment - it causes a lot of pain - in the upper part of the foot. Where the anterior tibialis tendon joins the foot, and also, I think the metatarsals are being pinched.

I live in the UK.

Hi Goose, which area of the UK do you live ?

I would say a combined effort of a good physio and a good podiatrist to get the right measurements and type of orthotic for you would be the best bet. Beware of rip off merchants who prescribe othotics at the sight of a credit card, sometimes they are not even needed.

Just a thought… but my feet do the same thing and I have been treating it by e stiming my peronials and using a tpmessage ball on my glutes… I also started trail running when it’s light outside to strengthen up my ankles. I also started taking supper cissus RX for my torn peronial tendon. Something worked b/c its not that painful anymore. I even got that itchy feeling you get when something is healing on my pad tendon.