Olusoji Fasuba WL 6.50

by Phil Minshull

VALENCIA, Spain, Feb 9, 2008 (AFP) - Ethiopia’s Kenenisa Bekele believes that his attempt to add to his mutitiude of world records and break the indoor 3,000m mark was bizarrely sabotaged by wind inside the arena here on Saturday.

Bekele ran seven minutes 36.08 seconds, more than 11 seconds outside his target of the 10-year-old mark of 7:24.90 set by Kenya’s Daniel Komen.

``The weather conditions were very difficult. It was windy. I could feel it while running on one side of the track. Maybe there was a window open?’’ he said.

Bekele’s feeling that the venue which will stage next month’s World Indoor Championships was actually open to the chilly evening elements was confirmed by several other runners in the race including Kenya’s Timothy Kiptanui.

``I’ve occasionally felt it before in other indoor races but it made things very difficult,’’ added Kiptanui, who was the pacemaker for Bekele in the middles stages of the race.

Bekele was over two seconds outside Komen’s world record pace at 2km and, at the front with three other runners still on his tail, stepped off the accelator for several laps before sprinting away from his rivals with just over 200m to go.

He has yet to make a decision about whether he will return to Valencia to compete in the World Indoor Championships.

``I’ll do it next week after I have run over two miles in Birmingham (on February 16),’’ he added, looking ahead to another tilt at a world record.

However, if Bekele’s world record hopes were curiously blown away, it was still Ethiopia’s day in Spain’s third city.

Mekonen Gebremedhin went virtually unnoticed at last summer’s World Championships, when Bekele won the 10,000m gold medal, after he failed to progress beyond the semi-finals of the 1,500m.

However, the 19-year-old has improved immeasurably over the winter and produced the fastest time in the world this year in the blue riband distance with a run of 3:36.63.
Gebremedhin run was one of three performances which topped the 2008 lists.

Nigerian sprinter Olusoji Fasuba, the 2007 African Games winner over 100m last summer, sped to the world’s fastest time of the year in the indoor discipline of 60m.
Fasuba turned on the power over the second half of the race to stop the clock at a swift 6.50 seconds.

Panama’s Irving Saladino leapt out 8.20m in the men’s long jump, another best performance in the world this year and the reigning world outdoor champion had three other jumps over the bench mark of eight metres.

Like Saladino, Portugal’s Naide Gomes is a very good bet for a long jump medal at the World Indoor Championships and the 2007 European indoor champion added a centimetre to her national record with 6.90m jump.

The mark was the second best in the world this year.

``The run up is very fast. I think there will be some very good jumping at the World Indoors,’’ said Gomes.

Ethiopia’s Meselech Melkamu added to the plethora of outstanding performances when she won the women’s 3,000m in 8:29.48, the second fastest time in the world this year.

Olu’s starting to move!

PJ,

Is there anything different in training this year, or is this just a continuation of what you’ve been doing? Great job!

Congratulations, PJ. I assume if Fasuba runs indoors like this outdoors will be SPECTACULAR!! Looking forward to see him on the track!

Didn’t fasuba run a 6.49 last year, seems like he is on track to run that or faster.

Even more impressive considering
0.174s reaction time according to article on http://www.iaaf.org/WIC08/news/kind=100/newsid=43302.html
Looks to be the firm favorite for the world title.

What you do for that is drop a penny and have him catch it before the race. His reaction time will drop to .100 then he’ll run 6.43

Also, create an electric circuit through each ankle. You then have a few options:

A) When the gun goes off, the electricity turns on. The athlete will be shocked on each ankle until force is applied to the blocks. The reaction to the electric shock will be as fast as is humanly possible.
This repeated shock when the gun goes off will create a nice Pavlovian effect that results in the body initiating a starting movement immediately upon hearing a bang, but this might be slightly annoying when the athlete is not racing.

B) The electricity is turned on at a pre-determined time after the gun goes off. Start with 0.150 seconds. If the athlete doesn’t apply sufficient block pressure within 0.150 seconds, they receive an electric shock. As they improve, the coach can reduce this time towards 0.100 seconds.
In order to avoid starts that are too fast (Ala Ben 1988 Semi-Final), a shock will be delivered if the pressure to the blocks occurs before 0.100 seconds.

C) If the athlete flinches and delivers a substantial force, but doesn’t initiate a movement (Ala Jon Drummond 2003 Quarter-Final), deliver a substantial shock. This helpful training will prevent 45-minute delays in which athletes who flinched in a major event protest their case.

Rainy, you’ve got water on the brain. Pack your bags and move to South Africa where you may find a kindred spirit in head coach Dr Ekkart Arbeit, who may be very interested in your ideas. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is what comes out of my head when I’m trying to avoid cleaning the house…

very disturbing…better put the vacuum cleaner away… I think it’s sucked out too much grey matter :eek: :smiley:

This is continuation of last year work.
Main difference is that Olu’s traning in december january wasn’t disturbed and had more training workouts, incl twice more in the gym though volume was always kept at its minimum. Little disturbance in mid january and delayed transfor of more training volume will cause peak later than last year (did 6.49 at his 2nd competition).

As for the reaction times, the starter in Valencia held them for aprox 2sec which is the low range for focus, hence caused a lot of false starts, disqualifications (3 in the 2nd semi final) and poor reaction times.