NY: Gay v Bolt

Don’t forget Atkins, he has shown he can perform at the top level too, in fact the way things are going he may have an advantage of flying under the radar with no pressure placed on him.

Atkins just got blown up in Berlin. 10.18 if I recall.

Yeah saw that after I posted.

Pos Athlete Nat Mark Pts
1 Nesta Carter [JAM] JAM 10.08 20
2 Kim Collins [SKN] SKN 10.12 16
3 Ivory Williams [USA] USA 10.13 14
4 Churandy Martina [AHO] AHO 10.16 12
5 Derrick Atkins [BAH] BAH 10.18 10
6 Marlon Devonish [GBR] GBR 10.18 8
7 Michael Frater [JAM] JAM 10.23 6
8 Rikki Fifton [GBR] GBR 10.47 4
9 Aleixo-Platini Menga [GER] GER 10.65

Still wouldn’t write him off though.

Bolt would most likely be in the low 19.6 to high 19.5 range based on his 100m right now. Or at least when he’s running the 200m as consistantly as the 100m.

All the cliche’s aside about relays, Jamaica should break the 4x1 record this year.

Why would you conclude that? Seems a very modest improvement vs the 100m

if bolt can break 10 on the bend or come close…which i think he could do now…he could break 19.50 easy think…

If he breaks 10sec. on the curve he will break 19.30 not 19.50.

If he breaks 10 on the curve I think you are looking at a legitimate 19.1x

right…

which would be easily breaking 19.50

There was an interesting point made in a different thread, in the 100m thread further up regarding Bolt and shifting the focus of his training to his start. Will this have a slight negative effect on his 200?? Also it was mentione dhis SE was not on the level of Gay’s last year, and that looks perhaps still the case as people were suggesting Gay held his own or gained slightly in the last 20 yesterday. I think Bolt needs to run a 200 before a prediciton can be made about what he can do in that event this year.

That’s a great pic! I really like Bolt’s technique. It advocates letting it happen as opposed to forcing quickness.

If I remember correctly, Bolt said that he just started training for the 200 about a week ago.

yeah i agree…however, before last season he never ran 100m’s. When he ran sub 20 all these years do you really think he couldnt break 10 in the 100m.??? He just never ran it, but i dont think this speed has just came out of no where, he is now just showing us all what he can run…

i doubt his 200 is affected…

Guys, have another look at the race, but this time watch Gay - no chance of winning unless its a 130m race, yet his form, relaxation seem spot on. He doesn’t stress under the pressure. A point to take home to your own training. Run your own race, let it happen. If you get beat, you get beat, but you can still run = PB or better or close to.

Bolt is a bigger stronger version of Carl Lewis. I can’t help but think that if Carl lifted weights he could have matched the times Bolt has been recording.

But how would this have impacted his LJ performance?

negatively, but who cares?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHMRuOXdN6I

The best video (quality) so far.

KINGSTON, June 1 AFP - New 100m world record-holder Usain Bolt made it clear that he’ll be seeking a sprint double at the Beijing Olympics in August.
I will be definitely going for the double,'' Bolt said on his arrival at the Norman Manley International Airport in Kingston, just a day after he raced to a world record of 9.72sec in the 100m. The 21-year-old defied dismal weather to eclipse the mark of 9.74 held by compatriot Asafa Powell at the Reebok Grand Prix meeting in New York on Saturday night. Even after his stellar performance, the lanky Jamaican had insisted the 200m was still his favorite event, leaving some room for speculation as to whether he would pursue both in Beijing. After sleeping on it, he appeared to have made up his mind. I broke the record, so I guess, that’s the decision,’’ he said.
You just tell yourself that you have to do it.'' Bolt said the world record brought a responsibility to go for gold in the 100m. I am now the fastest man in the world, so I have to run it,’’ he said.

I know you may not agree with wind conversions, but whether the conversions are completely accurate(aren’t)or not, it’s pretty safe to say that a 1.7w “aided” them and not the other way around. So my guesstimation isn’t based on 9.72 or 9.76. It’s based on a mid to low 9.8x if that makes sense.

Not only that, I believe Bolt was capable of a 9.9-9.8 type run for a few years now. So his improvement over 100m though dramatic isn’t as surprising it may seem. So in turn his 200m isn’t going to have the dramatic drop that everyone is expecting. It’s more like his 100m has caught up to his 200m.