NY: Gay v Bolt

There was one on blip.tv, but it was taken down. Anyone save it?

The second one clearly is, although marks for dartfish are difficult to make out.

Wednesday, 04 June 2008 World 100m record holder Usain Bolt still unsure about Olympic Games sprint double

Usain Bolt goes away from Tyson Gay in New York (Victah Sailer)

Three days after lowering the men’s 100m World record to an astonishing 9.72, Jamaica’s Usain Bolt was still unsure whether he will compete at the distance at the Beijing Olympic Games.

From his home in Kingston, he explained that it will be his coach of four years, Glen Mills, who will take the final decision.

The Games - Coach will decide

“Well, I said that (I will double at the Olympics) but my coach said that he still hasn’t decided, but I will be doubling at my trials, to keep my options open, so I am not sure exactly what I will be doing but I may…we’re leaning towards deciding that I may be doubling but I am not sure as yet. The 200 for sure.

“The coach will definitely decide on how we do it. This is my fourth year with my coach and he has made nothing but good decisions so if he decides that and said we are running the 200m then I am fine with that because he has his reasons and I am sure there will be a good reason. “

The World record – if the weather is good I think I can break it…

Despite being just 21 years old, Bolt who is also the 200m World Junior record holder, can already boast the confidence needed to make it to the very top at the shorter dash.

“Actually I ran in Trinidad two weeks before, because my race in Trinidad wasn’t so good when I ran 9.92 I said to my coach ‘if I get the good weather I think I can break the World record’, and he said ‘don’t worry about that; just to perform at your best ability.’ So, I just went out there and just did my best.

About his 9.72 he declared: “I knew I had a good start, I could feel it from the start. I was happy with myself because I have been working hard, especially on my start because that was my weak point. I have been working hard on that, so I knew exactly from out of the blocks I got a good start.

“It was great, a lot of people were happy. (Back in Jamaica) They said they were screaming and that they were really happy that I did it. A lot of people said that they are just glad I beat Tyson Gay, they are just happy for me, and it was great around here.

“After the race, I just went out with some friends, we just ate some food, we just chilled out pretty much. It was really late when we got back, so, we couldn’t actually go to parties.”

One of the most relaxed sprinters on the circuit, Bolt confirmed he felt no nervousness before his New York showdown against Tyson Gay.

“I don’t really try to think about (racing) so much. Like the night before I decide what I need to do. Tell myself that you need to do this, and you need to do that and then the day on the race I just try to relax, think about other stuff. I try and think about maybe cars or something, otherwise on the race I keep myself relaxed, because if you think about racing too much you may just lose it a little bit.”

I’ve dedicated my whole life to the 200

“Well I am doing good in 100 but I prefer running my 200 because I have been dedicating my whole life really to the 200 and I really would like to get a gold medal at the Olympics in the 200, so I prefer 200 for the Olympics.

“I am not worried about peaking (too early) because my training was geared, you start with some 100, this is for my speed work and then I am starting 200 training actually this week, so I will be doing some speed and endurance. I am sure I am not at the top of my game yet because I haven’t done my 200 training as yet, I have some speed and endurance to do, and to sharpen up, so I am not at the top of my game. I am not worried about going any faster now that I have the World record, I don’t need to break it.

What has changed?

“I have matured more really. After getting the Silver at the World Championships I have matured a lot because I have gotten so near to the goal. I have just changed my attitude a little bit more. I was serious last year; I am more serious now because I really want it. And I have done more training I would say, like technical stuff, like my start, I have done a lot of work on my start and my transitions, so those are the two main things I have changed.

“I have gone to the gym more. I would say. I was very reluctant to go to the gym but my coach said we were going to do the 100m to get my strength up so I have gone to the gym more.

“I used to go to gym less but I started going more. I never really liked the gym. From when I was young I don’t really like weights but I go to the gym more; less partying I would say. I still go, but less partying. I just got more serious; when I go there I put my mind to the work, sometimes it is hard and you just want to stop but I put my mind to it, I try my best at all times.

“I don’t really drink a lot, I do drink but I don’t really drink a lot, but I would say I like to dance. I like music a lot; I normally go out a little more than I should so I stopped doing that now.”

Usain and Asafa

“We have a very good relationship. He called me and told me congrats and I actually saw him this morning when I was training, and he was training also. So we talked and we laughed, he is a good friend, we have a good relationship.

“I don’t know (if Asafa can run sub 9.70 as he’s declared), but Asafa is a great athlete and I respect him a lot. We’re good friends, so if he said he can do it, I think he can do it, but I am not really worried about World records. I got my World record so I am just happy and enjoying it right now, I am just really looking forward to the upcoming Olympics.

Sprint Relay record in danger too?

“I think so, if the baton goes around. Last year we had a wonderful team and we messed up really bad in the baton change so I think if the baton goes right as well as it’s supposed to go, it should…the World record is going to go…I think we could break it.”

Jamaican Trials

“I am definitely going to run. A lot of people are building up these trials to be a big thing but I don’t think the trials will be that big because I am not really going there to race Asafa I am going there just to make the team. Maybe in another track meet if we meet then there will be the showdown but in the trials I don’t think it will be a big deal. I don’t think it will be a big deal to me.

“I just want to make the team, really. I am not really worried because there are two events so I have to worry about the 200.

Opening 200m in Ostrava

“Ostrava is a cold place I would say, but I don’t predict my 200 times until I actually run my first 200, so after the 200 in Ostrava then I can maybe predict what time I can run, how fast I can go.

“I really look forward to my 200m every season because I have been working hard on my 200m for years now. I have done a tremendous amount of work so I really look forward to my 200 every year, and this year is no different. I am just going to work hard because I want to be one of the best 200m runners ever; I have been working hard this year definitely to become one of the best.”

IAAF

DIFFERENT ASPECTS OF THE SAME INTERVIEW, BUT THE INTRO IS OFF LIMITS ON THIS FORUM…

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23810506-5014066,00.html

Good article. He sounds like a normal athlete who has decided to dedicate himself to the sport more. Only in his case, normal athlete means sub 20 200m runner not 23second 200m runner. Maybe he simply will become the reaper of souls

Is this consistent with a long to short approach? Competitive 400m…then a few 100’s then the 200 training and comps!?!:confused:

Mills has an interesting resume with area elites, as well as noted support staff. But I’m beginning to sense that for him, and others involved, Bolt’s talent is presenting windows (and perhaps conflicts) of schematic development that might not have been planned earlier. It certainly appeared that Mills early direction was pointed towards the 400 and perhaps very little, if at all, in the much shorter event.

The art that is coaching…:o

You can’t argue with 9.72 and try and force the 400 though!!

Bolt’s destiny now with glamorous 100m?

BY PAUL A REID Observer Writer reidp@jamaicaobserver.com
Monday, June 02, 2008

RANDALL’S ISLAND, New York - Less than a month ago Usain Bolt was resisting the urge to run the 100m at the National Trials and the Olympic Games in Beijing if he made the team.

The 21-year-old former William Knibb Memorial athlete considers himself a 200m runner who likes to run the glamour 100m for training purposes instead of having to run the more gruelling 400m races.

Usain Bolt’s coach Glen Mills (left), shares a joke with president of the Jamaica Amateur Athletics Association (JAAA) Howard Aris, at the Norman Manley International Airport yesterday. (Photo: Garfield Robinson)

However, after breaking the world record in the 100m, running a spectacular 9.72 seconds at Saturday’s Reebok Grand Prix at the Icahn Stadium on Randall’s Island, he might not have a choice in the matter.

While celebrating the world record on Saturday night, Bolt’s coach Glen Mills was hesitant to address the issue but told the Observer that, given the new developments, Bolt might not have much of a choice.

“As the world record holder, he can’t not just run the event,” Mills told the Observer minutes after Bolt had crossed the finish line ahead of IAAF World Championships double sprint champion Tyson [b]Gay who ran his second fastest legal time of 9.85 seconds, just shy of his personal best 9.85 seconds [/B]:confused: :rolleyes: :stuck_out_tongue: and Darvis Patton who was third.

This was Bolt’s third win in head-to-head contests against Gay, but all the others came in 200m races and the Jamaican was second to the American at the World Championships in Osaka last year in the 200m.

Bolt, the national record holder and World Junior record holder in the 200m, appeared to get a decent start, but his long legs on his 6’ 5" frame took him slightly to the front after 15m, but by 40m he and Gay running side to side separated themselves from the field.

It was Bolt who found the extra surge midway the race and strode away winning by a full stride length before circling the track to celebrate with the sold out venue with the majority of support being Jamaicans decked in the national colours of yellow and green.

Bolt’s run was the second time the men’s 100m world record was broken on American soil after Jamaican born Donovan Powell ran 9.84 seconds in 1996 at the Atlanta Olympics Games.

Bolt lowered his compatriot Asafa Powell’s 9.74 seconds as both Jamaicans own seven of the top 10 times ever run in the 100m.

The usually reserved Mills was seen pumping his arms and smiling broadly as he made his way to the track to celebrate with his star athlete.

In a post race interview, Bolt said he felt he could break the world record. “I had the idea that I could run the world record. I did well running 9.9 and lower. I was pretty confident coming in here.”

He said he was not looking for a world record run on Saturday but “it came to me today and I’ll take it”.

He added he was happy for the first false start. “My first start wasn’t that good. I knew if I got Tyson on the start I’d get him.”

For his race preparation, Bolt said his instructions from Mills were to "concentrate on the drive phase and that’s what I did. It doesn’t matter if I have the world record if I don’t have the Olympic gold medal".

Gay, who congratulated Bolt after the race, said he was expecting a fast time on the fast track at the stadium. “I knew that this track was fast and I thought that a 9.7 was possible. The conditions were nice. The track was a little wet but the conditions were nice.”

The American said Bolt’s record is “definitely great for the sport”. “Obviously I have some work to do. Right now, it’s hats off to Bolt. Today (Saturday) was his day,” said Gay.

False start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro5YVaOfiLQ

10.07 +1.3 at Ostrava.