nutrition in comp and tapering

What’s the thypical nutritional strategy you adopt in tapering and competition?
do you try to stay as light as possible without starving yourself, or you try to eat a lot of carb (long run style).

I generally try to stay as light as possible, but I would perhaps increase my over all food intake a small amount in the few days before comps, as I just feel more comfortable that way.

With carbs, I will generally eat a bit more than normal, but I dont think carbs are as important for sprinters as long distance runners, so I dont carb load or anything.

On comp day, I cant stand feeling full, so I eat lighter foods, and usually have my last meal 4-5 hours before the race. I will be constantly snacking on protein and powerbars tho, as I cant stand being hungry when I compete!

i just eat :slight_smile:

One problem that may arise with taper is that due lowered volume of training your energy expenditure goes down, and if you keep on eating the way you did before (same caloric intake) you will be in caloric surplus. This caloric surplus may be needed for some time (couple of days, up to a week maybe) to allow full rest and recovery, but if prolonged for a longer period of time it would lead to weight gain.

Try the chicken nugget diet :cool::smiley: