Nutrition for 2x/day training

Are there special protocol to follow when training more than once a day? In order to get sufficient rest days I train twice a day on two of my training days per week. Both days I weight train in the morning and have skill training at night.

Generally I just focus on upping calories: Pre morning workout I have oats and whey protein, PWO I eat a prot+carbs meal. Around lunch time I’ll eat some whole wheat pasta and extra lean ground chicken, and before evening training I will usually eat more oats, whey, and some fruit.

Does this sound about right? I also take fish oil and snack on almonds/pb throughout the day.

Any extra measures to prevent muscle catabolism?

Make sure you consider everything:
-Nutrition
-Recovery+Regeneration [Stretching, Naps, Hot/Cold Contrast Showers (damn you aggielax), Self-Massage (foam rolling, massage sticks, etc.)
-Managing Volume Correctly [sometimes this will be impossible, eg if your coach doesn’t know anything]
-Anything else?

I think Daniel has it right, recovery volume are definately as important if not more so in some circumstances, so make sure your thinking of the big picture.

total sleep

If you have much volume, I’d consider massage or some other soft tissue treatment almost a must. Since Mort’s chiming in, maybe he can tell you how his guy(s) have done after just one session of world class soft tissue therapy.

Haha what is this an infomercial? Yes quality ART work is good. Allowed my guy to get back to training where it would’ve taken weeks with out PT staff. The big thing is not to get to the point where you really need alot of soft tissue work. My guy didn’t have the greatest sleep schedule or flexibility/mobility upkeep.

lol didn’t mention ART. I think if you could get deep tissue massage a couple times a week every week you wouldn’t need much else save for extreme issues. Sleep is the most obvious thing you need.

Sleep and a cat nap during the day would be my first two big priorities.

depending on how intense your training your gunna have to play the hormonal game (not that you shouldnt already be doing it). stay away from simple sugars that can cause insulin spikes (candy, soda, and even fruit). growth hormone is stimulated by hypoglycemia and you will need it to repair/recover after the work you will be doing, it is also stimulated by hypolipidemia (the absense of fat). insulin is useful post workout (actually 20 min b4 the end of your workout is best) it raises cell permiability allowing for the transport of amino acids into cells , but also stimulates the storage of fats so youll want to stimulate it realase sparingly.
lactica acid is a precursur to GHRH which is a precursor to Growth hormone. make sure you dont eat anything hours b4 bed but if you must make it protein rich as GH is stimulated by an increase of amino acids in the blood stream.

youll need to be low key during your non training times as you dont want to over stimulate the sympathetic NS. stress raises cortisol levels leading to gluconeogenisis (the formation of glucose from non-carbohydrate molecules). so massages even for pleasure will benefit you along with warm epsom salt baths hydrogen peroxide baths and relaxing teas including kava kava if you want to go that route. but like i said it all depends on the volume intensity and frequency of work you are doing.