Nut. Breakdown

I was recently reading a thread about protein intake and the huge debate that was going on about amount, timing, etc. Just a quick question for all of you “debaters” out there. Many sport nutritionist state a carb:fat:protein ratio breakdown. I know I saw someone had said if they went off the RDA (which I believe is the biggest crock of crap for anyone who is not sedintary) their protein intake would be 6% of Tot Cals. Just wondering how everyone breaks down their macronutrients? Many places say for ex. 30%P, 30%F and 40%C…???

by the way, that stupid smiley isn’t supposed to be there it’s (: Protein not( (:P))

click the “edit” button to change your post to remove that annoying smiley face! Personally a few smilies brighten up my day.

Cheers,

TC

Optimal macronutrient ratios will be HIGHLY individualized. Also, 40% of calories from refined carbs, sugar, and potatoes is very different from 40% of calories from fiber, nuts and seeds, and non-root veggie carbs. I do best on about 45% fat, 40% protein, and 15% carbs, assuming its from healthy fat sources, clean protein sources, and carbs mainly from fruits, vegetables, and raw unpasteurized milk. My ideal way of eating also shifts with my training goals and season, i.e. I eat more fruit in the summer time.

It takes quite a bit of experimentation and has to be a work in progress (because your own optimal ratios will probably shift over time), but a good way I have found to figure out my ideal ratios is to gauge how I feel after a meal. A correctly proportioned meal will leave me full of energy and not the least bit tired, satisfied but not uncomfortably full, and with no accompanying digestion stress.

I am a little biased towards restricting carbs (relative to a “normal” diet), but even factoring in my bias I think many athletes go overboard on the carbs. Feeling tired or sleepy after a meal and/or hungry when your stomach is full are good indicators you ate too many carbs.

Is there an optimal macronutrient ratio? I would argue there isn’t. I could only see problems if you stray too far to either side, for example, a diet of all carbs could make you drowsy because you wouldn’t have any protein, fiber or fats to reduce their GI.

Blinky - that was the point I was trying to make. Making a blanket statement of an optimal nutrient ratio is pointless because its going to vary by individual, time of day, time of year, training state, type of food that makes up the ratio, etc. etc. etc. In other words, there are way too many variables to put a number on it, but I still maintain one could come pretty close by doing some personal experimentation.