Nike Monster Flys banned by IAAF?

Don’t know why I was looking at Nike spikes but while browsing I found this website that says that the Monster Flys are banned by the IAAF!

Is this for real and why?

http://www.vsathletics.com/product.php?xProd=1173&xSec=12&jssCart=d19ea58dd07e556c226135491637d49c

[b]Desinged for the elite level 100m sprinter looking for the latest innovative technology that suports the foot and enhances performance like no other spike. 7 PERMANENT SPIKES (compression). Two column support piece under the heel. Mens Sizing.

NOTE: USATF and IAAF have banned this shoe from official IAAF or USATF competition as of 12/6/2005. No word from NCAA or HS sanctioning bodies yet so please check with your coach before ordering.
[/b]

TC

Reminds me of the days of Puma brush spikes being a problem. Couldn’t you just insert a heel lift inside the shoe and accomplish the same thing and be legal? Strange.

Where can we find the article…

Thanks

the heel of the shoe has a sort of “spring suspension” system, where other sprint spikes have a hard plastic heel. It’s some sort of “air” system for your comfort when walking back, but I think the spring system is forbidden (although no one sprints on his heels exept maybe for the start)

Athletes may compete barefoot or with footwear on one or both
feet. The purpose of shoes for competition is to give protection and
stability to the feet and a firm grip on the ground. Such shoes,
however, must not be constructed so as to give an athlete any unfair
additional assistance, including by the incorporation of any
technology which will give the wearer any unfair advantage. A shoe
strap over the instep is permitted. All types of competition shoes
must be approved by IAAF.

I’m not confirming that they are banned, but if this is the case then that will be because of the heel system.

i would never pay 150 for spikes.

Perhaps the heel helps at the end of a 400?
Would This help in the start?

Do any of you have trouble pressing your heels against the blocks especially when the riser crowns are in??

the shoes don’t help at either end of a race!

Such bullshit. I know this might sound crazy but, I could see nike fabricating a story like this just to make people want these stupid gimicky shoes even more. These shoes are for the fat kid with all the equipment and no skills.

They tried to get a former WR holder to endorse them but he couldn’t even run in them

Didn’t Shawn Crawford run in these?

he did, in the 2004 games

honestly i cant see how these shoes are banned.i’m gonna get some real info on this issue from nike themselves to clear this up

Really? According to Nike these shoes are for the “elite power sprinter” That former WR holder prob. needs to train using the nike SPARQ trainig system to get a little stonger. They have a really great sport specific package that you can get. Maybe then the WR guy will be ready to handle the shoes :slight_smile: (Yes I cant stand nike)

On a side note, The super cool nike folks tried the same thing with the Huarache indians from Mexico. The indians tried to do an ultra marathon with a pair of running shoes. Halfway though the race, they took thier nike air huaraches threw them in the trash and put on some home made sandals and spanked everyone in the race.

Sorry for the rant.