Nice Training article

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/block_periodization_football.pdf

This guy put a nice program together

He’s a good guy.

Speaking of Verkhoshansky, what is a fold jump? I have the SSST manual and there is a exercise described as “10 fold jumps from place” and Anyone have a video of this? or can someone describe this plyo exercise? they have a stick figure that looks like a running bound but later in the manual he has bounding for distance … A bit confusing.

thanks

Cont Board Jump

The word “fold” is typically used synonymously with “consecutive”.

Thus 3fold = 3 consecutive jumps, and so on

Also, unless otherwise noted, these ‘fold’ jumps or hops are performed double leg

Regarding Mark’s article, Mark is a friend of mine; however, I think his data showed that what he had the athlete perform was beyond what was necessary to improve his results.

Using one example only, note how the client’s starting bodyweight was 200lb with a vertical jump of 23". That’s a power index of 67 (which is terrible) I had female high school PE students scoring in excess of that, with presumably far lesser strength levels, and I certainly didn’t resort to block training to further their results. Furthermore, I had dozens of skill players at PITT scoring in the high 80s to low to mid 90’s who still progressed without performing rigid block standards.

The plan that Mark illustrated is logically presented; however, the application was misplaced.

I feel qualified to make such statements because Dr. Verkhoshansky selected me to serve as the primary editor of the English text in much of his English publications dating back to 2007 and if you have the most recent SST you’ll see evidence of this on page XIX

Dr. Verkhoshansky was clear in stating there is a time and place for instituting block methodology and as I illustrated in my recent article in M&F (which was significantly edited and finalized without my review in case you’re wondering about some of the writing) Mark’s client, who surely improved significantly from its use, didn’t require it.

Regarding 10 fold jumps: In the many Italian articles he wrote or translated ( He worked for more than 30 years for our national olympic commitee , CONI) he always used alternate bounds for length,m it would be the first time I see using 10 frog jumps ( 2 legged)