New Nike Free

I just got my delivery of new Nike Free trainers and runners.

Now I’m not a Nike fan - in fact you could say I am an anti-Nike but I tried these and I really really like these.

For me to admit that is a big thing in itself.
(I own nothing else except one other item that is Nike - everything else is adidas)

These things are seriously comfortable, strong and very very light also.

I can’t wait to try them out over time now and see how they last.

Essentailly the flexible design is supposed to prevent injury over time by permitting the foot to react to the ground as you would barefoot.
Of course nothing will do that like real barefoot running - but I really think these are possibly the safe substitute answer for barefoot tempo running.

They are primarily a mesh construction but with a fabric overlay. They have a loose heel and a sock fit, with a flexible segmented sole.

I suggest you consider trying these out if Santa is coming!

http://www.nike.com/nikefree/

I saw an ad for these a few weeks ago and meant to ask about them. Will be interested to hear comments after you have had them a while.

Thank for the link, I will look into these. I have to buy an extra pair of shoes on top of spikes this year for track, as some places we run do not have a rubber track. Does anyone have a suggestion? I was looking at some nike shox, but I would be interested to hear what everyone thinks.

Do you think these (nike free) could be worn as a track shoe?

Look elsewhere.

I have the Free trainers and can say that for warm up’s,grass tempo and drills they are great. But they aren’t as light as the Mayfly’s. Now these babies (Mayflys) are great for track tempo! Light as a feather. I was flying in these! I found that when wearing the Free’s for track tempo there was too much movement inside (feet), especially when running around bends. A great trainer never the less. Nike Shox are too heavy for tempo. I prefer to use my Shox for bounding and plyo work. Hope this helps…:wink:

They’re not really a track shoe - check the link and see what you think

Jason you have the Trainers?

The runners are lighter again - I like them - I know what you mean by movement - it takes a while to get used to having that much feedback or control.

Admittedly I don’t run many corners so I can’t comment on that.

If you don’t sprint in spikes, could these substitute for flats?

I’m not sure - but certainly for training in.

I didn’t mean meets, just sprints in training. How is the lateral stability/support? These sound interesting. Does that strap on the trainers make much of a difference?

Guerilla Marketing at its Best!! Have a guy who is anti-nike give an extremely good review!! Sounds suspicious!!

No23, Are you sure you’re not the Nike VP of Marketing?!! :smiley:

Well it worked! or I’m just a sucker. It at least got me interested in trying them on, or else I’ll stick with some cheap asics.

No - I’m genuine.
:smiley:

I never beleive the hype with these companies - I hadn’t heard of them until I got the parcels.

I don’t like Nike products
:mad:
The only other Nike object I have is an old jacket 8 years old - and I got it as a Xmas present!

I’ve used adidas for everything for the past 14 years - execpt runners where I prefer Asics.

I got these two Nike Free, the runner and trainer, given to me - I didn’t buy them - nor would I have as I as a rule don’t buy Nike.

Will it change my opinion and encourage me to buy more nike products?
No - doubtful …

But I must say I’m impressed by these -

Lateral stability was one thing I was also concerned about at first - but the tight comfortable fit seems to eliminate this as an issue.

Like I said it feels very natural.

But someone else who’s tried these should speak up - it does sound funny if I’m the only one who’s tried these
:slight_smile:

I’m not sure I feeel too comfortable with the lack of a heel counter, thats very important in running shoes for injury prevention; but it does look like a nice comfortable shoe to have to walk, etc…just not sure about replacing your flats for tempo days.

Nike Free update!! - I have just purchased a pair of the x-training Nike Free’s. They are undoubtably the best!! They feel good on bends too…this is due to the ankle support given. I thought they would feel clumpy…I was wrong. Definatly worth a try.

I have just purchased a pair of the x-training Nike Free’s

Are these the Nike Free “Trainer” 5 with the strap across the instep?

Here is the post I had in Barefoot Running-

I tried on a pair of the Nike Free on the other day.

Granted I only walked around the store with them, I don’t think they are all that.

On the plus side- they did come with two different insoles depending on how high of an arch you have.

But what do insoles have to do with Barefoot Running?

The downside would be the heel design does not look as if it is build for much wear (In fact, the employee who assisted me said they had had returns because of the heel wearing out).

Since when did running barefoot come with an $85 price tag?

The alternative I’ve used is the old Nike Aqua Sox (the water sport shoe they had). The Aqua Sox was out in the late 80’s and I found a pair two years ago at a Nike Outlet Store for $16. They have served the purpose well as they are just enough to cover the foot for protection without interruption of foot mechanics that would be the same as running barefoot.

yep these are the ones…You get yours from the Footlocker sale as well? :wink:

Tom, I had the aqua socks by Nike also. They are light and durable. I suppose they too could make a good and cost effective alternative to the Free’s.

i had some nike frees. i liked them a lot. but the front on if it tore, and the paint of the shoe kept coming off, so i took them back and got vick’s blacksburgs

the shoes were actually pretty good. i think im going to buy some new ones again just to time my 40 yd dash in, since the coaches wont let me time them in spikes.

i would say dont lift weights in them and dont use them as street shoes. only use them to run in them.