New member in Pfaff-Raleigh group

http://www.iaaf.org/athletes/Athlete=4215/newsId=23515/index.html

Journals: Kareem STREETE-THOMPSON (CAY)

Kareem Streete-Thompson (CAY) (Getty Images)

Kareem Streete-Thompson joins Marion Jones’ training group in Raleigh
Thursday 13 November 2003
Greetings from Raleigh, NC!

I have made a significant early change to my athletic career plans. I am now planning to compete in the 100m sprint together with the long jump for 2004.

Ever since I ran 9.96 in 1997, I have been grappling with this decision to once again include the 100m. I have enjoyed numerous successes in the long jump and to add this major event for 2004 would almost seem like a leap of faith.

I had always believed I would try my hand at sprinting after the long jump, but after suffering a groin injury in the middle of last season, and consequently not making the final in Paris in the long jump, I am choosing to step it up and get after both this coming year.

Think about the decision from my perspective? I made the final in the 100m at the World Championships in Seville, and I hadn’t even prepared for it! What if I did prepare?

With my sights set on the Athens Olympics next year, I decided to seek out the one coach that taught me how to sprint - Dan Pfaff. He is now the exclusive coach for Marion Jones and Tim Montgomery, having moved from Austin to Raleigh.

I spent most of my vacation thinking about whether this was the best road for me. In fact, until I embarked on the long drive to Raleigh, I had doubts. However, once I got to the track last Monday, I knew I had made the right decision.

My new training group is small, but is full of talent and we all support each other. I expect a lot of spirited, competitive training sessions and I know I will be pushed like never before.

I am planning to run a few 60m races indoors next year, and hopefully qualify for the World Indoors.

Then my focus will switch to the 100m outdoors and I will jump when it suits my 100m schedule.

What a thrill it is going to be to run and jump at the big show! I think about it everyday. These are exciting times… Anyway, I will be keeping you updated on my progress.

Don’t forget to check out my website (www.jumpstreete.com) and drop me a note.

Ciao for now!
KST

very difficult thing to do.run and jump! Carl Lewis was the master at mastering both events