New LONG to SHORT Questions:

Ok, I looked around but I could not find the answers.

1. When I do accelerations are they at say 90% with 3 to 5 min recoveries? Is that right?

2. The strength endurance (3x30) what do I do?? Is this a run, sprint, jog or is there some other way that I’m to cover 30 meters?

Thanks

all speed work is 95%+…

strength end work is running A’s…

The Speed & Strength download video is good reference material for the activity highlighted.
http://www.charliefrancis.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=26

Ok, I will check out that download.

Here is another question, once I get to the end of the Long to short program and start to compete how do I plan my training from there?

On a side note, I’m really excited to see how I will run when I’m done this program. I have NEVER trained like this before and I look forward to each training session.

I have been through about 5-6 coaches due to graduation or switching schools and only one coach (High School) had any kind of proficiency
in training athletes. Sadly, it was pure luck that I got a good first start.

So many people have never reached nowhere close to there natural ability due to all the poor coaching that U.S seems to breed.

What are your events? You would normally do one speed day and one SE.

Well, I would like to set a new 200m PR this year. I see no reason why I wont due to the fact that my old training methods were horrible. However, my main focus is the 400m but oddly I am very strong in the 800 as well. I did a 1:58 800m

I’m kind of like an Obea Moore, if you will, just slower times. I can really do a lot of different events and I enjoy each one of them!

There will never be another Obea. Greatest range of any hs athlete ever. I liked the way he held the baton, it looked like he was holding a tooth pick backwards about to smash his forearm with every stride. Ran right by me, I could hear everyone in the crowd say o.sht. Never saw anything so fast in my life. Im still trying to figure out how he made running with a baton so easy. I remember seeing Obea nationally ranked one year in every event all the way up to the half mile. I think his mile time was good too. And im pretty sure he competed in cross country as well, but Im not sure.

Do you mean in addition to competing once per week?

What if you are competing in either 100 + 200 or 100 + 400. Would you count your races as your SE workout, or would you have a separate SE day during the week as well?

u run against obea when they went 3:13?

his soph year he might have had the 400 and 800 national lead, but i think he dropped the 8 after that and he only had a 200pr of 20.7 and 100 of like 10.4 so i dont think he was US#1 in 4 events.

his mile time was 4:17, 2 mile of 10:23, it was all in a workout. lol.

Acceleration is usually always maximal because you can’t push out of blocks at 80% and not fall on your head. However, you can constantly cue relaxation during block starts to bring the intensity down a little AND improve the athletes performance to 30m.

LOL, no I mean he literally ran right by me. I was in the second heat. They broke the 4x200 and 4x400 U.S. National records indoors that year (dont quote me on it) unless my memory is fading. Obea or rather his coach opted for the relay wins instead of a 200m or 400m individual win. I have the race on film some where. You see Obea in like 6 place. He goes under the national banner then comes out in first place with about a 40 meter lead. When I said nationally ranked, I did not mean ranked number one; I remember reading the Track and Field News and seeing his name on all of the lists for the top marks. Anyways he is a legend. What is he doing now, does anyone know?

Dr. Sprint, what was Obea’s times in the 100-400 in HS? There was a pretty fair sprinter from Andrew Jackson High in the 60’s for you historians by the name of Julio Meade, he ran 9.5 100y, 20.9 220, 46.8 440y, and 1.54+ 880y, all on cinder tracks.

http://www.prep.caltrack.com/2002trackandfieldnotes/020202ObeaMoore&CSULBAllComersNotesPicsRG.htm

Is good is very good.

OldSpeeder, We cant forget his age group records either. He’s the best. Period. I don’t care what anyone has to say on the matter. I ran meets on cinder tracks, there wasn’t a huge time difference (I actually PRed on one). While those times are good they cannot comepare to what Obea ran. Sorry just telling it like it is. I mean the kid was running sub 11 -electric-… not hand timed at how old? Come on now. Look at his 400m time.

Great article by way if you feel like reading.

Hey Dr. Sprint, there is a difference between today’s tracks and cinder, especially if you were unlucky enough to draw lane 1 or 2 when they were all chewed up from previous races, today’s hard tracks are not much different than that? However, your point is well taken about Obea, his times were quite impressive, actually stunning, jeez! What happened to him? What a shame he did not continue.:frowning:

OldSpeeder,

I don’t know, but it makes me sad looking at it. How did he not get a sponsor. It can’t be all his fault, can it. There must have been a massive chain of events that lead to his failure in college and beyond. I agree with the point about the tracks, I was just being wise. :smiley:

Oh yea, you want to see something impressive, he even has the bantam records lol. Look at what he was running when he was like 5. No serious look lol.

No prob Dr. Sprint, I learned something today, thanks.:stuck_out_tongue:

Oh great, another Obea Moore thread. Its cool, I am impressed myself. While we are on this, don’t forget Roy Martain.

As far as Obea, my old teammate use to run for the LA Jets. From my teammate and all the credible info that I got was that Obea did not have the grades to be able to attend USC. Thats were he wanted to go.

As far as I’m concerned, this happens every year. There are lots of good HS athletes that just give up or fall off after high school or college. There is no system or program for people who want to just be athletes. Dan Pfaff talks about this allot and this is why he is now apart of Tiger Bar Sports.

Obea is a special case, I see no reason why Nike or some other company could not have taken him under there wing. He did not haft to “go to school”.

Sadly tho, many extremely talented kids come from the worse areas in this country these kids have no guidance and support like you would expect in a upper middle class home.

To add to the mess, these 17-18 year old kids cant think like a 38 year old in regards to his or her future…

so 1996? the 4x4 record they dropped still stands but the 4x2 record got broken by long beach poly, and then Muir(his school) ran 3:24 SMR(200-200-400-800) in 97 his senior year. 96 was their big shot for all the records though, with him, sultan mcCullough(10.2 in 98) and two solid other guys, but obea was hurt.

yeah, i guess his soph year 1995 he would of been 10.5? 20.7, 45.1 and like 1:49 so thats redic.

he’s made a few comeback attempts and ran a 47 as recently as 06? but now he’s just doing whatever, i think he has steady work and isn’t in dire straights like he was a few years back.

he was a guest of honor at NSIC this year