New Indoor Prep 400 Record!!

http://www.nsictf.org/ResultsDay3.htm

Boys 400 Meter Dash

Athletes MUST check in 30 min. prior to event.
Twelve fastest advance to a 2-section final.
National: * 46.84 2/22/1986 William Reed, Philadelphia, PA
Meet: $ 47.13 1990 Chris Nelloms, Dunbar, Dayton, OH
Name Age Team Finals H#

1 Witherspoon, Reginald Decatur, GA 46.11* 2
2 Gonzalez, Jermaine Jamaica 46.15* 2
3 Wigfall, Lance 18 East Orange, NJ 47.53 2
4 Woods, Darren 18 Seattle, WA 47.60 2
5 Young, Bobby 18 Providence, RI 47.76 1
6 Simms, Dixley 19 Brooklyn, NY 47.92 1
7 Jones, Jarrith 17 Rd Runners- LA 48.70 1
8 Hurtan H., Erison 18 Aberdeen, NJ 49.08 1
9 DeWitt, Tracy 18 Rochester, NY 49.88 2
10 Hegedus, Tony 17 Southern 49.93 1
– Williams, Irie 18 Austin, TX DNF 1

That track has known for producing some fast times but this one tops them all.

i was there it was simply amazing…
kid went out in 21.27
then camer back to run a 21.14 by himself in the 200 final. then!!! in the 400 his team was down by (no exagereration) 80 meters and reggie got the stick and it looked like he was coasting… suddenyl he statrted making up ground, the last one 150 meters was rediculous!! he caught the kid and split 46.2! he must of ran perfectly even splits or a negative split cause he did not look like he was moving that fast.

I saw that guy-Witherspoon- run the 300 at Va. Tech on Feb 1st in 33 and change absolutely blowing out one of the greatest sophomore high school sprinters in US history in J-Mee Samuels by over a second. Samuels ran 10.42 and 20.99(both FAT marks) last summer after his freshman high school year. Some might refer to these guys as “proven talent.”

he is from decatur, georgia. does anyone know what h.s. he goes to? i am speculating very strongly that it is s.w.dekalb.

terrence trammell and angelo taylors alma mater.

Witherspoon goes to Marietta High School.

Primo, I think he goes to Wheeler h.s. in Marietta. Still, he was listed as being from Decatur-go figure. If that was the case he would probably be closer to SW DeKalb or others. Maybe someone else knows.

Georgia high schooler rules national meet

Copyright © 2003 AP MegaSports

The Associated Press

NEW YORK (March 17, 2003 1:04 a.m. EST) - Reginald Witherspoon of Marietta (Ga.) High School won three gold medals Sunday in the National Interscholastic Indoor Championships.

Witherspoon, a senior headed for Florida, won the 400 and 200 meters and completed his triple in the 1,600-meter relay at the Armory Track and Field Center.

His victories came in a 2 1/2-hour span. He set a national record of 46.11 seconds in the 400, erasing the mark of 46.84 set by William Reed of Philadelphia in 1986. He was timed in the 200 in 21.14 and anchored the relay team, which won in 3 minutes, 17.3 seconds.

Witherspoon’s time in the 200 was the third fastest ever for a schoolboy. Brendan Christina of Ronald Regan High School of Austin, Texas, set the national mark of 21.02 two years ago.

Prophet, I know you and I are just reporting what others have written-one or both of the sources is incorrect. From the Feb 1st meet at Va. Tech, Dyestat reported that the members of the New Horizon track club that won the 4x4,(with Witherspoon anchoring in 47.2) all attend Wheeler HS which is in Marietta.

On the prep scene, Reginald Witherspoon set a new indoor high school record in the boy’s 400m in 46.11 seconds at the National Scholastic Indoor Championships in New York City. The senior from Wheeler High School (Ga.) broke the 46.84 mark set by William Reed of Philadelphia in 1986. Witherspoon also won the 200m in 23.14, third fastest U.S. prep time ever. He also ran a 46.2 anchor split in the 4x400 boy’s relay that brought his team from fourth to first

Thanks for pointing that out Pioneer, this is from usatf.org, so I think it’s pretty safe to say he goes to Wheeler. The other excerpt was from sportserver.com, usually htey’re pretty reliable.

just got my march t&f news and it lists him from wheeler. (not as if that’s correct)
:slight_smile:

Prophet, no problem. I know they are thinking it’s “just track” but these news agencies should do a little more work to ensure accuracy. No big deal. By the way, you are on the money with your comments regarding Gatlin. You are not a Spartan are you, since I noticed you are from Mi?

I was actually at the meet. I ran the 60m and came 5th. It was a very good race but If the Jamaican had accelerated sooner he would have won. Watch out for Jermaine Gonzales.

I believe if this were an outdoor race the jamaican would have won. because this was his FIRST EVER race indoors and it takes getting use to to run on that armory track especially if you’ve never run indoors.

Originally posted by Pioneer
Prophet, no problem. I know they are thinking it’s “just track” but these news agencies should do a little more work to ensure accuracy. No big deal. By the way, you are on the money with your comments regarding Gatlin. You are not a Spartan are you, since I noticed you are from Mi?

It’s funny you mention that. I will be going there next year!

Go Blue!!! You seem okay despite your MSU affiliation-next year. I used to live in Detroit-many years ago.