New Barry Ross article.

As evidenced by their own lifters (Ken and Barry), getting someone to deadlift with good technique must not be so easy. Sure, you can get weight up, but you aren’t loading the correct muscle groups, rather, having a movement that is almost 100% lower back dominant, nor are you putting the athletes in a safe position.

yeah i would like to see videos on how to teach the dealift or there athletes lifting? Back injuries and hamstring soreness seem much greater in deadlift. Really the argument is stupid why talk apart particular exercises as it relates to speed? best dealifter not equal to best sprinter, but i forgot DL improves technique.

Seems like the discussion should focus on the pros and cons of the protocol rather than just dismissing it out of hand because of some extraneous items. I have trained dozens of athletes with this approach for a few years with good results. Would they have done better with another approach? Who knows.

What I do know is that the athletes who have used it have improved, and they also have enjoyed the training and progress they see in practice and in racing. I’ve used many other protocols, including Charlie’s, and I find them to be similar in concept. Charlie’s approach is just a little more complex and detailed while using a few more elements.

I still add in some of Charlie’s elements, but Bear’s stuff remains at the center. I think they both have a lot to offer, and either one can lead to successful outcomes. I’ve never been convinced that there’s a one size fits all approach to training anyway. As Charlie says, “it depends…”

“Since no one really knows why one athlete has the ability to provide greater support force at contact, no one has the ideal workout.”

Along with that I’d add that there is no ideal exercise-including a deadlift.

Personally, I prefer clean pulls, power cleans, and pulls from various position such as mid-thigh, and clean grip shoulder shrugs.

As to an earlier comment I, for one, have not witnessed a single hamstring injury from a squat in 20+ years of watching them done and doing them myself. However, in agreement with another statement above, I’ve certainly seen a number of lower back injuries that occurred during deadlifting.