New article on Mo Greene.

Nothing to link, though. It’s in the August issue of Muscle and Fiction magazine(actually Muscle and Fitness).

coudl u type it out or give a quick summary of it?

I don’t have the issue. I saw it at the newsstand.

I was only letting people know that there is an article in the August issue.

Your such a tease.

i just read it and didn’t even bother to buy it. there isn’t anything new in it about his training. it just gave a sample of what im sure is his gpp:

1. 400-300-200, weights
    2.9x200 rest 90 sec weights
  2. 4x300 rest 6min
  3. 100m reps fast
  4. weights
  5. off
  6. off

yeah not worth your time. It just kind of rambles on about nothing and how his weight training is similar to a bodybuilders except for cleans and snatches. It gives a sample of what he eats in a random day. He says he doesn’t eat much carbohydrates because he isn’t a distance runner and doesn’t do enough work to burn those off. He says he gets his carbos from veges. I think something like that has been posted on here before. It said he usually goes up to weights around 435X2 on his last set of squats.

I think he was one of the first athletes to mention the Zone diet wasn’t he?

Dont quote me on this but arent the 400-300-200 a sprint? I think thats what he said? But a 400 meter sprint? idk… that seems kinda hard doesnt it?

[I edited the quote so it represents the article]

Guys, you have the interpretation totally wrong. What you’re looking at is NOT GPP. This is part of SPP for outdoor. You are looking at a week with close to 3000 meters of SE and special endurance, and if you do it right it is really, really HARD.

The same comment applies to the weights. During GPP, the weights will be something like 3X10 for bench and squat, and 3-4X15 for supplementary lifts, then during SPP it comes down to 10-8-6-4 with heavier weights, but pretty much all hypertrophy stuff. Forget all that 3X1-3 stuff if you want to run 9.8s.

A week ago, I got comments about doing way too much volume that people like college sprinters could not possibly do, with my own (but you know where it comes from) HSI-style week like (8-day cycle):

Sun 2X30 + 3X60, 15 min rest
Mon 300+200+100 8-10 min rest
Tue 7X200 tempo
Wed weights
Thu off
Fri 30+4X80
Sat weights
Mon off

Wrong. That’s not hard. THIS is HARD (from Ato’s 2000 log, with dates and times):

3/6 squats 7 X 220
400(56)300(36)200(23)
3/7 bench 5X220
2X4X100 recovery 30 sec/5 min avg. 11.6
3/8 OFF
3/9 3X300 (40,38,39)
3/10 OFF

Once again you have close to 3000 meters of SE and SE1. And those 100’s! The 7X100 was used by John Smith with Quincy Watts as a 400 meter race pace workout. You run a 100 fast, walk back 50 meters, run another 100 fast and repeat until you get back to where you started. There are some other versions of this like 2X4X100 with 45 sec/6 min or 3X3X100 with 30 sec/5 min. My version is 6X100 all-out with 90 sec where you run the straights and walk the turns. According to Ato, the 2X4X100 was the hardest workout HSI did. These are all KILLERS…but they work.

When you come off a SPP John Smith’s way and go to Charlie’s alactic stuff, you fly on the track. If you want John Smith’s results, this is the price you have to pay.

Very good article if you know how those workouts are done.

Holy snikes. Where did you did you find all this stuff.

There are some other versions of this like 2X4X100 with 45 sec/6 min or 3X3X100 with 30 sec/5 min. My version is 6X100 all-out with 90 sec where you run the straights and walk the turns. According to Ato, the 2X4X100 was the hardest workout HSI did.

What do these intervals mean?
Ok so you mean 45 sec for reps 6 mins for set? Or Between 45 sec to 6 min for reps? I know a guy in Florida, former world champ, that trains 6x100 progressively getting faster. Any ways let me know. Im confused!

It’s pretty much all in the 80-85% range. But is it really soooo hard?

Take 2x4x100, done by Ato in 11.6. If you have a junior athlete with a PB around 11.00. On his level you would have him do something like his 100s in 12.8 (note he’s not Ato with a sub 10 100%) with 30 sec./ 5mins in between. Quite hard, but not so out of the world and main thing: I really do not understand the benefit.

That’s what is done all around Germany, Central and Eastern Europe predominantly and destroyed so many young athletes.
I watch National Champions win their title here in 10.5x 6 years ago, 5 years ago, …, last year, and in 2007. If I don’t improve over 6 or 7 years, shouldn’t that make me think?

My version is 6X100 all-out with 90 sec

All out as in 100%? 90" recovery? :confused:

In that case, what came first, the plateau or the ham pull? :smiley:

I dont get it, 30seconds to 5 minutes. Seems to be HUGE range. The problem with all these programs posted on the internet is there is not much detail. So Ato did SE two times per week (according to his log). Was the other season intensive tempo. Geesh. This is getting annoying trying to figure this crap out!

From Ato’s Log (with Ato’s comments):

1/19/00 1PM Short HSI warmup 2X4X100
4 standing-start 100m runs with 45 second rest inbetween. Two sets. First set avg 11.6, 2nd set avg 10.9. This years hardest workout so sar.

3/7/00 11am…Bench Press(5X110kg), incline press, shoulder work.
1PM Short HSI warmup, 2 sets x 4 X 100m(30 seconds rest inbetween) avg 11.6. How hard is this workout? John Smith gave us the NEXT two Wednesdays off.

If you don’t think this type of workout is HARD, you didn’t do it right. This is a lactate overload workout that I would NOT use for junior sprinters and even HSI doesn’t do it much–once 10-14 days before Millrose, and once every other week or so during SPP for outdoor–and then the emphasis shifts to alactic stuff. HSI does a lot more special endurance I stuff like 300’s, 400-300-200, 5X150.

30secs between runs, 5min between sets. what is confusing about that? :confused:

Ok thats what I thought. And yes that is hard, whats the point of it though.

what year program was it where it had them doing 150’s on wednesday for much of the season?

-6X150m during gpp-dropping to 3X150m at end of each 6-8 week phase
-4X150m in 15s during spp 6-8 min.rest still on wednesday
-60-80m according to feeling during pre.comp./comp. on wednesday

Is this the same program you are talking about Ikh, where this (lactate 2X4X100m) would be taking the place of the wed.150 day every so often during the spp leading to fast 60-80m after spp?

Is this log still active online? At AB, it doesn’t go back that far. If anyone has this info saved and can email/pm, I’d be very grateful.

Thanks!

Sorry to bump an old discussion…can someone post that article from M&F?

Suprisingly accurate. Although not very specific.