Neural tension

Certain clinicians state that upto 60% of reported hamstring strain maybe neural tension. Neural tension also contributes greatly to muscle soreness during sprinting and post exercise (DOMS).

I have often been given stretching and dynamic exercises by physios to alleviate neural tension but am conscious that too much can aggrevate the problem. Nerves don’t like to be stretched and won’t actually lengthen, these exercises are attempting to remove tight areas in the muscle around the nerve.

Presently I am experiencing some soreness/tightness in my hams when sprinting caused by neural tension. I am continuing with the neural stretching exercises. However does anyone have any experience with neural tension and can offer anything more?

I have some neural tension causing my ham probs according to my physio.
I was given some neural “flossing” exercises such as sitting upright on the ground with my legs straight and tilting my head up and down about 20 times.
Another one was sitting in the same position and turning my head to the left and right as if saying “no” 20 times. Not sure what the second exercise was supposed to do??

Maybe you could give them a go, I never really stuck with doing the exercises so I don’t know if they are effective

ask flash
(forum doesn’t like 2 word responses)

Yeah I had alot of this thoughout my career as an athlete. I can feel it now right through my back, glutes and hammies when I stretch them out.

The ‘flossing’ is a good start then using the various stretches. If you PM me with your email I will get some stuff to you. Im not a physio but just experienced this alot.

I have been talking recently with a physio I work with about the tension being made worse through mental tension/stress. For example I coach a guy who when he is stressed (normally during the January tax return period as he is in accountancy!) he gets all sorts of spasms so we have learned to adapt the programme to suit and make sure we dont overload him any further. same happened during girlfriend trouble etc.

There is a physio here in the UK called Martin Haines who has developed a 3 stage course one stage deals alot with neural tension. He described the nerve tissue as much like the plastic you get round a six pack of cans/beer etc. If you pull it hard/fast it wont stretch as well as when you tease it out more gently. This was useful info to take on board for stretching procedures.

I have got to the point where all I do is a few neural releases in my warm up and everything else feels loose too. Definately something to get on top of.

As Stuart McGill said, neural tension shouldn’t be stretched.

My physio(extensive experience with athletes) told me a way to release most of neural tension. First, put the muscle in the shortest position possible for about a minute, then return It back to It’s normal length, strange but It work. It have to do with new length perception within the muscle tension receptors.

You should always release neural tension and then and only then work on structural local tension. This will save you a lot of time and will help you get the best results possible.

OK maybe the term ‘mobilisation’ would be better suited rather than making it sound static stretching related. I dont know the technique you mention adonail so would be interested in any online info you can point to?

tinsoldier
I have an appointment with him in about two weeks so I’ll get back to you with this. Just try It and you’ll see by yourself.

Sounds like ‘strain/counterstrain.’

http://www.jiscs.com/PDFs/CH13SCS.pdf

Exactly! Thanks

Neural Tension must be released with specific treatment.
Muscle hypertony (and other issues) is neruologic related, CNS is the key and advanced therapy treat CNS, not muscle directly.

I’ve noticed that after extended periods of sitting down the neural tension in my hamstrings is magnified 10 fold. I was told by the physio that my tightness originated in the periformis so I stretch this out before sessions. However sciatic flossing seems to help, and also a standing ‘heel drag’ with the effected leg (like a plate drag).