Need some help with GPP.

good ideas Boldwarrior.
I think the graph is a helpful as well as more than 70 percent of people learn visually. It is not always so easy to show people why you have chosen the methods you are using will be effective.

In planning for SPP…

I got an impression that week 7 of the GPP corresponds very well with earlier phase of S to L SPP speed work as I was watching the inside the SPP video.

Short starts every day at varying volume, EFEs and FEFs done as an earlier version of 60m speeds, and finish drills for top speed training, with middle day being like SE day with 240s done in splits of 60.

I am thinking that I would have to start with something like the week 7 GPP, cut total volume of SE runs, but make each run longer (like 60->80->100->120->150), drop volume of finish drills slightly if speed improves (hopefully…??) compensate for the drop in SE and finish drill volume with increase in volume of short starts and accelerations up to 30m, and keep Monday 60s the same until taper is needed.

Basically, Monday is acceleration based, Wednesday is speed endurance based, and Friday is top speed based.

I’d have to do some math to keep the numbers reasonable, although haven’t done so yet.

Of course, it is possible to combine the two speed days, cut volume so it’s one day worth of work, and have 2 high intensity schedule if needed.

Please correct me if I’m off with my understanding.

Yes - the two added together would be a disaster without dropping the volume.
A popular schedule is to work out using a 10day week, not a 7 day week.
So, you still get 3 Hard in, it’s just over 10 days, not 7.

So, a 7 week block would be really 70 days (or 10 real weeks)

The secret to longevity and consistent improvement year after year, is not to chase everything in 1 year. If you try and be a world champ by next summer, you’ll probably fail.
Think long term - and progress when it Suits YOU, not a piece of paper.

You might be ready to leave Gpp after 7 weeks, or maybe 12?
This is where Science meets Art in training.

:slight_smile:

Ohh…I was talking about making a SPP cycle to do after 7 week GPP. I think I’ll probably make SPP about 10 weeks. I know Coach Francis said S to L SPP should be shorter (like 8 weeks I think) but I don’t think I’m advanced enough right now to worry about that. I am trying to kinda fly through GPP and finish in 7 weeks because I think would have hard time getting access to hills probably after about mid August (schools will start, and my work schedule will be more in the evening, so no around-noon hill workouts…).

10 day week schedule sound like a nice idea too if my work schedule allows me to do so (some days of the week I may only have barely enough time and energy to do just tempo).

My objective for these two cycles is to regain general fitness (haven’t ran anything over 30 yard regularly in like 4 years…) and to become proficient with start drills (good drive angle with hills, high start, push up start, etc) so that I have good basis ready and make it easier to learn block starts in the future.

I’m just trying to make a plan because if not, my intensity and volume will be all over the place with no order…

I appreciate your ideas.

I would imagine with your goals, a longer gpp is more beneficial. Gpp is more suited to achieving your current goal.
Hills can change to sleds or isorbic exerciser etc.

I’ve read about using sleds or isorobic to replace hills. I don’t have any access to isorobic; how would you set up sleds if you were to do it to simulate hills? Does it have to be certain percentage of body weight? or should it be like certain percentage slower than regular sprint speed? I know that achieving 45 degree acceleration angle and full hip hyperextension is essential. Would it be more stressful than hills? I just get shin splint easily unfortunately…

Thank you.

So…I haven’t incorporated extra rest days yet, but I’ve made volume progression for SPP for speed endurance.
For 10 week SPP…
Wk 1 3x4x60 (720)
Wk 2 4x4x60 (960)
Wk 3 3x5x60 (900)
Wk 4 3x3x80 (720)
Wk 5 3x3x80 (720)
Wk 6 2x4x80 (640)
Wk 7 2x2x120 (480)
Wk 8 3x120 (360)
Wk 9 2x120 (240)
Wk 10 1x180 (180)

Does this look like a reasonable progression? If so, I just need to cut volume of finish drills, as they’re very fatiguing, and increase volume of starts and speed change drills to keep weekly volume about same? Also, should intensity be kept at 40m acceleration and hold or should it progress to longer acceleration?

Hopefully I am getting understanding of program designing…I watched Inside the SPP video.

Hi kwave, there are quite a few posts about using sleds on the forum, but as a rule of thumb no slower than 10% of your unresisted 30m time is a good guide. I use car tyres rather than sleds, 3-4kg for women, 5-7kg for men, if done on grass you won’t need much weight. Regarding your shins, if your hill is not too steep and is a good grass surface you will hopefully be ok, just build up gradually. Don’t make the mistake I did by applying too much volume to the speed and 60m specific endurance sessions. Keep the volume at the most 50% of what is prescribed in the Short to Long programme that CF produced. Us mere mortals do not have access to regeneration techniques (daily massage etc) that CF’s elite athlete’s had.

Hello. Would you say for speed endurance, daily volume of highest volume day should be around maybe 500 instead of 960 and keep everything else under 500? I do see that with the numbers I suggested, the changes in number of volume tend to be a bit drastic, as I’m not very good at math.

Thank you for your reply.

Hi, yes I would say so, my athletes tend to do 2x4x60m, we did try 3 sets at one stage, but they were trashed afterwards and struggled 48 - 72 hours later so not worth the extra set. I have used 3x3x60m to introduce a bit more quality to the reps and that worked due to an extra set recovery. Speed sessions I tend to keep them between 360 and 500m depending upon the focus. My athletes are in the 11.0 -12.0 bracket at the moment (that’s the guys).

You should be able to handle similar SE volume esp if you make the adjustments to the intensity limits. EX: Week 1 - 2x30 standing+3x4x60 (10m). I prefer to keep the SE volume similar to the graphs and cut down the speed volume - SE work is not as stressful on the body.

Thank you for your inputs on volume adjustment.

So you’re saying the volume I originally suggested should be doable if intensity is low? (10m) means acclerate 10m and hold speed, right? When you say SE volume similar to the graph, are you referring to Inside the SPP example or GPP essentials?

Thank you.

Spp. I’m not saying anything nor can anyone else tell you how much volume you should do - give it a try and adjust if you can’t handle it. Intensity will always rule over volume - 900m of speed work at 90% is different from 900m of speed work at 95-100% etc.

Thank you for your clarification.

BOL, keep us posted.

Most people can handle 400m speed work twice per week and 2000m of tempo twice per week. Various age groups can handle this. More than these rough volumes and it becomes very individual in my observation. The speed endurance portion is more variable as RB noted, but more than 600m total is rare. It also depends on program. I wouldn’t do more than two hi days in spp.

Thank you for your input on deciding volume. Looks like it really is tough without full therapy to train at volume near what Coach Francis recommended…I just thought before that it shouldn’t make much difference because most of his athletes train at such a high intensity, that every meter they run would do more CNS fatigue than someone like me, but I guess they can tolerate both higher intensity and volume.

Good comment by RB34, I was working with an intensity limit of 20m. I daresay we could add the 3rd set if I dropped the IL to 10m or might even get away with 15m. I agree with lr1400 re volume, obviously its different for individuals but 400m speed and 2000m of tempo twice per week are a good guidline.

Not just myself, but many who i have coached, Not all the time, but, Hit a training PB over 280m (two straights and one bend) on our Third run. That’s 840m.
I’ve hit a training PB over 400m in my 3rd rep many times.

It’s greatly varied for many different folks.

We have had great successes by the following rule over these distances
1 - volume max is 3 efforts
2 - If you hit a pb or equal PB in the 1st rep then your 2nd rep is a 150m only
3 - If you hit a PB or equal PB in the 2nd rep then you STOP
4 - If you’re feeling flat - just run the 3, but with greatly reducing intensity. eg, lets say pb = 32. Then aim for 35-36 but see if you can either, start slow and come home fast, or start fast and cruise home etc.

Typically - if you hit your 3rd rep into a PB - expect to take it easier in a few sessions afterwards and RECOVER.

PB = season PB, not overall lifetime pb

This is just an example of what you can do - don’t be held back by fear.