NBA FINAL: Game 1

SAN ANTONIO, Texas, June 9 - Manu Ginobili is making a name for himself, and what better time to showcase his skills than in the National Basketball Association finals.
The 27-year-old Argentinean was outstanding in the regular season averaging 16.0 points a game, but he has been simply superb for the San Antonio Spurs in the playoffs, averaging six more points a game.
My confidence has been built up a lot,'' said Ginobili after scoring 26 points in San Antonio's 84-69 win Thursday over Detroit in the opening game of the title series. I feel more responsibility at the end of the game and that’s what I love doing.’’
He rattled off six straight points late in the game to halt a 10-0 Pistons run that had rallied the defending league champions back from a 17-point deficit.
Ginobili, who was chosen for the NBA All-star team for the first time this season, is seeking his second NBA title in just his third season in league. He was a rookie on the Spurs team that beat New Jersey in the finals in 2003.
A self described slasher'', Ginobili is one of the best in the league attacking the basket. He plays at that pace all the time,’’ Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said.
After scoring just four points in the first half on Thursday Ginobili busted loose for 15 points in the final quarter.
He started relaxing,'' said teammate Robert Horry. Before he would try to get to the rack but he wasn’t able to because those guys are great shot blockers and they got their hands on a lot of balls.’’
Detroit seems to be one of his favourite teams to pick on as Ginobili shot 62 percent from the three-point line in two regular season games this season against Detroit.
But Thursday’s performance was even more spectacular as his teammates on the bench were content to just take it in.
Manu's unbelievable,'' said the Spurs' Nazr Mohammed. I was just sitting over there with my popcorn watching.’’
Unfortunately for Detroit, they did a lot of that too.

Manu went 9 from 10… all going left, par two outside jumpshots i think.

But really TD killed detroit in the first half as wallace (not ben) didn’t step up and got killed by TD’s 17/18 rebounds and 20+ points!!

Spurs out rebounded pistons by 10…

Iv definatly got my money on spurs for this series!! :smiley: