National U-18 Discuss Champion & Shot-put Bronze Medalist

Yes you are seeing perfectly fine. Today I (a 15 year old sprinter :stuck_out_tongue: ) won Gold in the Under-18 Discuss, and bronze in the shot-put, at my country’s (St. Vincent and the Grenadines) National Track and Field Championships.

I used to train and compete in both events in 2004-2005 but since March 2005, I had stopped completely due to injuries. Even though I had not trained since then, I competed in the events earlier this year (January), which resulted in injury once more.

Since the National Championships are the most competitive/prestiguous local event, I decided to give the events a third try today, since I am unable to compete in the sprints this year. I was nervous since my competitors were all throwers, there were no other “temporary crossovers” like me in the events.

The shotput was first, we used the 6kg even though the international U-18 weight is the lighter 5kg. I took my first throw easy but it was horrible, I only putted 10.11metres Second throw was a foul, and then on the third throw I struggled a 11.92m. That was only good enough to get Bronze, the second place person putted 13.03m and first was 13.25m

Discuss was next, I was confident going in even though I didn’t win the shot-put. My First throw was 29.53m, technique was way off, then I fouled on the second throw just like in the shot-put. My third throw was my best, technique was a bit better and I utilized my leg power more instead of just relying on upper body strenght, so I throwed 35.84m :cool: (beat the throwers at their own event, lol) Fouled my fourth one.

So that’s it, my first medals/victories this year came from field events. The meet was sanctioned by the IAAF so the results will get entered there unfortunately, my results will look embarrasing when they are placed next to real throwers in other countries. :o

Anyways it was a good experience. And to have National Medals once again (even though in different events this time) really built my confidence level, since I had not won anything in over a year, due to injury.

But still I can’t wait to get back on the track…

Congrats on a fine job.

Rupert
CharlieFrancis.com

Awesome job! Stick with it.

Herb
CharlieFrancis.com

Well done, Daniel! :slight_smile:
Keep your options open!

Thank you all, I will continue to try my best

Thats what its all about.

Rupert
CharlieFrancis.com

Well Done.

You are a real thrower.

I love competing against the real throwers, they outweigh me by 30kg.

Remember it is about you, the result is great keep working on the processes and the improvement will come.

Great job!