Nate Robinson 43" vertical jump!

WOW - they say he has a 43+ inch VJ :eek:
Says he never trained for it, all genetics!!
I wonder how much higher he can jump if he trained…

I want some of that :slight_smile:

a vid of him throwing down a huge 2 handed Alley Oop! He took off at the edge of the zone, and wrists are 6 inches above the rim!

right click and save - about 7 megs
http://www.members.optushome.com.au/coolcolj3/Movies/Nate_Robinson_AlleyOop.wmv

He doesn’t seem all that skinny either, I think he weighs 170-180lbs.
Used to play football and runs a 4.4 40yard dash

When you went to the NBA tryout camp in Chicago, your official height measurement, 5 feet 7 3/4, was finally revealed. You’ve always been listed at 5-9. Does the smaller number bother you? “People to me are all the same height. The height thing is irrelevant. I don’t mind it. If that’s how people see you, fine. To be honest, I’m just 5-something. Not 5-5, 5-7 or 5-9. Just 5-something. When I went to the Nike Camp, I was measured at 5-9. Somebody’s measurement is wrong. They’re all just going to throw out different heights. Nobody knows.”

When you were in Chicago, NBA officials measured your vertical leap at 43 inches, which is one inch on David Thompson, one of the college game’s most profound leapers. Were you aware that you get off the ground better than the famed Skywalker? “I didn’t know that. I knew who he was. That’s a big accomplishment for me, but I try not to get tied up into jumping. I just play basketball. I love basketball. It makes me so much happier when I’m playing. I don’t worry about anything when I’m playing. I just feel free.”

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/story/4378350p-4145426c.html

Some linebacker from PSU jumped 45 in, and a DB jumped 46

but usually those stand and reach tests are not that accurate, ie they pull they arms a bit down, and when they jump up, since they are pretty tall, they get more reach.
Still impressive but less so than a 5’7" BBall player that doesn’t train for it :slight_smile:
I doubt Nate Robinson squats much over 225lbs…
And he looks like he really does jump 43+"

Plus he can show it by dunking in a game, blocking shots and tip dunks etc! :eek:
Not too many guys under 5’9" can do that in a game…

I’d say that they’re fairly accurate tests, if the athlete doesn’t have some kind’ve preconceived notion that the people testing you want to see how short you can make your arms and how long you can make your arms when you jump and reach. Do your best on the reach and do your best on the jump and I’ll give you credit for a legitimate vertical jump. But you’re right, the athleticism displayed by someone with that kind’ve reflex at that height is super impressive. That’s why I’m always more impressed with relative strength or relative power.

nate robinson is truly one of the most gifted athletes you’ll ever see. his 43 in. vert is legit. his two step vert was over 49 1/2 in. :eek: i know because i used to be an assistant strength coach at UW during nate’s first two years. not only is he a stud on the bball court, but he is probably talented enough to play corner in the nfl. remember he started at corner for the huskies as a true freshman. then decided to focus on bball.

[QUOTE=CoolColJ]WOW - they say he has a 43+ inch VJ :eek:
Says he never trained for it, all genetics!!
I wonder how much higher he can jump if he trained…

I want some of that :slight_smile:

a vid of him throwing down a huge 2 handed Alley Oop! He took off at the edge of the zone, and wrists are 6 inches above the rim!

right click and save - about 7 megs
http://www.members.optushome.com.au/coolcolj3/Movies/Nate_Robinson_AlleyOop.wmv

QUOTE]

Coolcolj

This link doesn’t work.

[QUOTE=CoolColJ]
I doubt Nate Robinson squats much over 225lbs…QUOTE]

Anyone with a vert more than 40 inches can squat more than 225 no matter how much they weigh.

link should work, try righty click and save it first before watching it

Maybe he can squat it, but what I was getting at, was that didn’t squat to get his jump :slight_smile:

I’ve heard his ridiculously strong, supposedly benches 330+. I’ve heard that about Earl boykins too :rolleyes:

Yeah, I read somewhere that Earl Boykins benches 315. Also, I read or heard on TV that Ben Gordon ( Chicago Bulls) and Muhammad(Georgia Tech), who both have supposed 40" vertical jumps, can both squat 500 lbs. Many of these top level basketball players are a lot stronger than they look!

nah man ben gordon…LOOKS strong!! most definately

He may not have ever done a squat but if he took 2 weeks to learn the technique and didn’t squat 400 lbs then there ain’t a dog in Georgia. If someone shows me evidence he can’t do that go ahead and hit me up for $50.

Same goes for Hook Mitchell or any other explosive bilateral jumper.

did everyone forget he was a football player? im willing to bet he lifted weights and tested his max…

Hook mitchell can’t squat for crap :wink:

ha more than likely not, but what kelly is saying is give him a couple training sessions to learn the movement and hell squat at least 1.5 times bodyweight

nate robinson is crazy, he was an awesome track athlete too. 13.85 in the 110 hurdles! :eek:

I guarantee you if you took Hook Mitchell in the weight room you’d be surprised by what he can do. Guys like that are more the norm then the exception in US prisons and are a dime a dozen. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t bench press 300 lbs and deadlift 500 naturally. Teach him how to squat and he’d win most powerlifting meet in his weight class within a month.

anyone know how heavy he is?

he looks pretty lean, sprinter lean actually, muscley but not huge, decent size back and arms interesting enough, legs are pretty small though…funny that :slight_smile:

I’d guess about 180lbs

he had big legs when he was younger and a free man

him now

If I’m not mistaken, Kelly Baggett has a 43" vertical as well. In the NBA combine, they test a one step vertical leap, not sure about the NFL.

anyone know kadour ziani? he’s got a vertical of over 50 inches or something like dat.