My Training

I’m not sure if I understand correctly, but are you working up to this 1 set of a certain number of reps or are you doing as many sets as possible before you drop off in performance? I’m not too keen on this type of training; is this similar to Inno-Sport/Jay Schroeder type stuff? (Auto-Reg)

I do inno-sport. So, yes, I go to a certain dropoff in performance. I warmup, then rotate each exercise until I dropoff on each one.

My last workout (upperbody) I didn’t want to accumulate any real fatigue, so I just did one set of each exercise. I did this just to make sure I am 100% for my heavy squat session tomorrow (trying to PB, and it will be a very intense workout)

5-30-07
Fatigue Session

Squats – top of thigh just under parallel

• 45x5, 135x4, 225x2, 295x1
  1. 330 pounds x FAIL
  2. 245 pounds x 4 (1+ rep/s left in me)
  3. 255 pounds x 2 (1+ rep/s left in me) [Dropoff]

Straight Legged Deadlifts

1. 225 pounds x 8 reps [not max]
  2. 225 pounds x 8 reps [not max]

Ab circuit

35 pounds x 10 crunches, 5 twisting crunches (per side), 5 V-crunches, BW ISO Leg Lifts

330 was a little much for a squat attempt. Lowering it was easy, but then I just couldnt reverse it. I am confident I can get 320, MAYBE 325.

The straight leg DL’s, even though they were sub-maximal, were tough on my hammies and absolutely killed my squat.

I’ll DL or squat again in 6-7 days.

6-01-07

Bench Press

180 pounds x 3+ reps PB! +1 rep

Pullups

BW + 25 x 3.5 reps

Seated Military Press

125 pounds x 4 reps

Hamstrings still sore as hell, as well as my upperback from the squats…and that’s pretty much it.

06-04-07

Went outside to jump, but I have horrible spikes (2 pairs coming in Wed. though), and it was wet outside from alot of rain over the past 2 days.

My SBJ went horribly - best was 9’0. The wet ground affected things a little, but a great deal of my bad jumps were due to my system just shutting down. Ever since I slipped on that 9’9 SBJ, I haven’t broken 9’3. I feel as if my body just goes to what it knows it can land, which really f**ks up my SBJ. My new spikes should help this, even if it is purely mental.

My CMJ was around 33.5" for the most part. But then again, this was on decently dry ground.

And I started a little “medicine ball” work, but with a 10lbs dumbbell instead. My best distance with a 10lbs dumbbell was 56’…kinda dissappointed though. I thought I would be good for atleast 60’, but my form felt really bad, so it should be easy to improve. I just doubt I do these consistently because I’d rather jump - just the wet ground destroyed my SBJ, and I didn’t want to even attempt a SLTJ.

Today was probably more intense than it felt, so tomorrow will definitely be a rest day. Lifting will resume on Wednesday.

For some reason I felt like training today, even though I felt pretty dn tired. Today was the first time in a long time I have trained despite not having been fully recovered- and even though it was stupid, it felt good. Those dn motivational articles on tnation got me pumped and I couldn’t resist. :frowning:

Legs felt really tight today, so I figured (don’t ask what the reasoning was, lol) I would just try out some new maxes.

Squat

• 330 pounds x FAIL (did progress up a couple inches from the hole, which I suppose would mean “PB”)

Deadlift

• 375 pounds x FAIL (d**n I got ambitious!)

wanted to end on things I knew I could do

Straight Legged Deadlift

• 295 pounds x 2 reps

Pistol Squats

• BW + 53 pounds x 2 reps/ 2 reps

In general, this wasnt THAT intense. The squat attempt involved a ~2 second eccentric and a ~1+ second strain before I dropped the weight ; and the deadlift attempt was just a 1 second strain, got it off the ground, and dropped (no way that one was gonna go up).

The SLDL’s were haaaaard as hell though, took some toll on the ole hams. The pistols were just easy as shit though, so it all balanced out.

Only good thing from this session was that my balance issues on pistols seem to be 100% gone.

Next workout is going to be something to the effect of:

285 pound full squat (6%)
255 pound SLDL (6%)
?x2-3 Pistol Squat @ 63 pounds

Just need to lay out something so I dont get stupid and fail on 330 again.

Damn you’re strong on those pistols man!

Haha, thanks.

Now I just need to bump up my squat/deads :slight_smile:

06-06-07

Okay, so my sense of direction has been a little lacking. Since it had been a while since I had evaluated myself and made an outline to follow, this was long over due. I planned my next 8 upperbody and 8 lowerbody workouts last night…and things look good. I expect to progress pretty damn well. Just to give myself some (attainable!) goals, in 8 workouts I want a 200lbs bench press (+10 pounds), a 335-340 pound full squat (+20-25 pounds on PB), and a 370 pound deadlift (+15 pounds). I’d be surprised if I didn’t surpass these pretty easily…my weaknesses are obvious, and I manage fatigue well, so (when I plan ahead) I generally make considerable progress every workout. My problem is I have been just “wingin’ it” for the past few months, and thus not working on what I need to work on.

Upper Body Workout #1

Incline Dumbbell Press

1. 42.5 pound DBs x 15 reps
  2. 42.5 pound DBs x 13 reps
  3. 42.5 pound DBs x 11 reps [Drop-off]

Alternating Dumbbell Rows

1. 42.5 pound DBs x 14 reps
  2. 42.5 pound DBs x 11 reps [Drop-off]

Breathing Pullovers

1. 32.5 pound DB x 15 reps [not max]
  2. 32.5 pound DB x 6 reps [not max - stopped because I almost tipped over]

Really good session. First time in a long time I’ve done any DB work…and first time ever for both DB presses and using an incline.

Sternum/ribcage area is a little sore when I take a deep breath though (from the pullovers)

06-08-07

My deltoids, triceps, and outter chest are very sore today.

Went outside to do some jumping, and things weren’t very good. I got my new spikes in, so I was expecting PB’s, but evidently I still cant muster up a great performance. I suppose I’m going to lay off of all this jumping until my power cycle as for some reason I am regressing.

Standing Broad Jump

Best of 9’4 (Still nowhere near my PB, but much better than all the 9’0’s ive been getting the past 2 jumping sessions)

CMJ

Best of 32.5 inches with most being 32.0".

Maybe the low jumping numbers were due to my spikes not being quite broken in yet, but they are flexible shoes…so that can’t have been the case. No more jumping every 3rd day - just gonna focus on getting strong.

I’m off to take a really cold shower. I’ll probably wind up taking another cold one tonight and tomorrow morning as I want to be 100% for deadlifts/pistols tomorrow.

Edit: Ever since I stopped all the deadlifting my jumping numbers have been going down across the board. Hopefully this is not just a coincidence. Yay for having a good idea as to what the problem is!

06-09-07

Deadlifts

• 135x4, 225x2, 295x1
  1. 340 pounds x 2 reps PB +5 pounds

Pistol Squats

Left Leg: 63 pounds x 2 reps
Right Leg: 63 pounds x 1.5 reps

I did a slightly shorter session than usual because I don’t feel 100% yet.

Also, even though I PB’d on the DL’s, they felt much harder than they did about 3 weeks ago…that should improve soon though. Oh, and I switched to an alternate grip for the first time ever…

06-10-07

ISO Bench Press
N x 10-25 sec

1. 170 pounds x 11.94 seconds
  2. 155 pounds x 13.25 seconds [Drop-off]

ISO Pullups (wide grip)
N x 10-25 sec

1. BW + 15 pounds x 21.41 seconds
  2. BW + 15 pounds x 19.22 seconds

ISO Seated Military Press
N x 5-9 sec

1. 135 pounds x 4.60 seconds
  2. 125 pounds x 7.25 seconds [Drop-off]

Didn’t quite go to drop-off on the Pullups as I figured I’d hit all of those muscles with the military press.

The only thing that surprised me was that I could only hold 135 pounds up for 4.6 seconds (I can do 125 x 4 reps, so I figured 135 would be a weight that would put me in the 7-8 second range)

Haven’t really had time to keep up with my journal. I work about 7 hours a day, and after that I barely have enough energy to train, muchless rewrite it on a forum. Anyway, I think I just havent posted 2 lowerbody workouts and 1 upperbody, so I’m not too behind. Anyway…

6-21-07

Full Squat:

1. 275 pounds x 2.5 reps
  2. 275 pounds x 0.5 reps [Drop-off]

Straight Legged Deadlift:

1. 255 pounds x 7 reps

I was expecting to get 275 around 5 times, but I am both drained from my schedule and I went a little deeper than usual…so maybe this isnt that bad. After I couldnt get the weight up for a third time…d**n I went off. Glad I wasn’t at a gym or anything or I would have been permanently banned…

I’m going to deadlift in 4-5 days, then alternate squatting and DL’s one or two more times before I just switch to a power template. I think I have enough strength in me to get up to around 37 standing and 42-43 running as long as I just max out my power/speed.

And this strength work is so CNS intensive I’m gonna wanna crawl in a cave and die after another post-work squat session…I need to change this relatively soon.

While at work today I took a break to figure out what I’m going to do for my training. I figure I have 33 more lowerbody workouts (4 day scale) before basketball season…

Sessions 1-5

• Force absorption, progressing to Split Squat and Single Leg versions on session 4 and 5.

Sessions 6-13

• REA squats/deads at varying %'s

Sessions 14-19

• REA’s and jumpsquat variations

Sessions 20-25

• Cycle in depth jump variations

Workouts 26-33

• Conditioning and dunk technique workouts, with a max deadlift, jumpsquat set, depth jumps, etc here or there just for maintenance.

Sprints from 30m to 80m will be a staple in nearly every session, as will a VJ couple.

Right now I’m at 34" standing and 39" running…my bare minimum expectations of this cycle are a 35" standing and 40" running - my ideal stats at the end of these 33 sessions would be 37" standing and 43" running (head touching rim). I don’t think passing 43" would be very likely at all but it sure as hell would be nice. Basically the closer I get to my long-term goal of 45" off the run (12’0 high touch), the better!

I just need to plan things out…been quite a while since I have done an organized power template.

Went out today to workout at around 6:00pm.

Vertical Jump Couple
10’5+ goal, ~26.5" to rim

1. 7.0 inches over rim [33.5" CMJ]
  2. 7.5 inches over rim [34.0" CMJ]
  3. 7.0 inches over rim [33.5" CMJ]
  4. 6.5 inches over rim [33.0" CMJ] (Drop-off)

30.5 meter dash
Hitting timer before start

1. 4.34 seconds
  2. 4.37 seconds
  3. 4.47 seconds (Drop-off)

48 inch Forward Depth Drops

1. 3 reps
  2. 3 reps
  3. 2 reps (didn’t land these two as well)

RFI Low-Squat 4 Square Quadrant Hops

1. 10 cycles x 11.10 seconds
  2. 10 cycles x 11.10 seconds
    Dropped Off With Sprints

• Very happy with hitting 34 inches considering I haven’t jumped in a while.

• The sprints were a little more than 30m (100ft)…and I started hitting the timer just prior to my start to give me slightly more “electric” times. Also, I adjusted my start. I generally am very bunched up at the line, and although it feels right, it doesnt feel like it has much room to improve. I started backing off the line a little bit, and getting more in a “blocks” position.

I could also tell my form wasnt good in the sense that it was inconsistent. Sometimes I’d feel perfect, high knees and everything, then a few meters later itd be more push-dominant, and then switch back to pull-dominant a few meters later. Luckily this is something that will improve pretty quickly.

Hitting the timer before you run sure does affect your times though!

Anyway, workout #1 went great, and I think I’ll be at 35" within 3 workouts. I think one of my 34" jumps was actually 34.5", I just wasnt sure, so I didn’t record it. Next workout will be on Friday.