my training :)

was a bad idea

Very interesting! I hope you keep up the transition into speed work. Looks like you are improving constantly, from 18 to 15 secs 100m. but you aren’t following a very structured plan yet. What are you planning on doing, a few more months like this introducing speed work then go into a GPP? All I can say to you is, anything is possible as long as you persevere. An year and a half ago I thought my sporting career was over. I had been inactive for an year then injured another full year. I started training and couldn’t even run a full 100m. without dying (I’d die after 40m.). This was May 2002, I was probably running 17 or 18 for a 100m. if I could even make it 100m. and certainly nothing faster then a jobg for 200m. I started doing speed once or twice a week and after 2 months and a half I ran my first race in 13.3. I remember perfectly being in a position like yours and seeming like the times I thought I could when I was younger were light years away. I think that those that persevere and make something from nothing are more admirable then those that have everything and do little with it. And it always makes a better story too! :smiley: Keep us updated on your progress!

Best of luck,
Alex.

was a bad idea

good stuff :slight_smile:

4 x 400 all under 60 seconds would be really impressive :slight_smile:

What kind of rest between reps?

was a bad idea

was a bad idea

was a bad idea

was a bad idea

I’ve been thinking and it seems to me that your hamstring problem maybe have been just a false alarm because you’ve never trained for speed before. You will without a doubt get sore or very sore hamstrings for a while till you adapt to the speedwork, it’s normal. I guess you know your body better in the future, but I think you might have gotten too alarmed about something that wasn’t too serious. In particular if the surface you run on isn’t soft you’ll certainly get a lot of soreness and even tendinitis initially. It’s just normal. You just have to keep going but with things under control. Stretch very well, try to apply all the recovery mechanisms you have available. Eventually you’ll adapt, but for that to happen there has to be some type of consistency in the training. Just my 2 cents. You might have actually had a pull or strain, that leads you back again to the flexilibility issue, make sure you’re stretching well. And try to gain as much consciousness about what your body is telling you as you can, that’s fundamental to training optimally, to be able to know what your body is telling you. It all takes time though, that’s for sure.

was a bad idea

was a bad idea

was a bad idea

was a bad idea

was a bad idea

was a bad idea

was a bad idea

was a bad idea

I think rather than thinking in terms of milage and minutes spent jogging - you’d be better off doing intervals as outlined by charlies tempo routines - they are the best way by far to create a fitness base - along with bodyweigth exercises like push-ups and sit-ups -

for instance try the below @ 65% - 75% of ur pb -

1 + 1 + 1 / 1 + 2 + 1 + 1 / 1 + 1 + 2 + 2 / 1 + 2 + 1 + 1 / 1 + 1 + 1

1 = 100m
2 = 200m

• = walk back recovery
    / = 3 mins rest

Don’t force urself to do more sets than u can handle - you could prolly even go lower than 65% if its a struggle at first - but I think intervals allow u to increase ur heart rate safely without keeping it up there too long - which is prolly one reason behind the ‘red and orange stuff’ u mentioned ( lol go see a GP if this happens again, or a psychiatrist :wink: )

Then for another session try some 400m and 800m intervals - start off with 4 x 400m at 65% or less - 3 mins recovery per rep - and build it up.

Ur jogging should be seen as recovery on days following the above workout, if you have to do it, do it on grass, or try some Fartlek over some interesting terrain as another harder workout - but I’d still try and keep the low / hi intensity workouts separate. Just an idea -

Good luck - Pete

was a bad idea

Not sure where you’d go from there dude but this should get u in a position to choose - try and check out some 800/1500m ideas from people who know -not sure if there’s any in the archives - seem to remember one somewhere.

And to calculate your tempo times -

PB x 100 divided by %

ie -

15 sec x 100 divided by 75 = 20 secs
15 sec x 100 divided by 65 = 23.07 secs ( 23 secs )

so u would wanna stay between those two margins ( or slightly below if really necessary )