My Team's S&C

I thought that with all the talk about other collegiate strength programs that I would share our program and facilities. We use a Westside variation. Tell me what you guys think.

http://baylorbears.collegesports.com/ot/bay-strength.html

Nice weight room, damn… I can’t wait to have access to a facility like that when I get to the 4-year college level… I am at a Junior College as of now… Our weight room is pretty nice, but that facility at Baylor is somethin else.

Twhite, can you give us an example of the type of things you guys when you use Westside for your workouts? I really like the basic template but I am always curious as to ways that it is modified, especially for football.

In the off-season a sample week would be as follows: we would do our DE lower body day on Mondays, the DE upper on Tuesday, a light Olympic complex/plyo day on Wednesday, ME upper on Thursday, and ME lower on Friday. Abs and GPP work as a circuit following most workouts. It was well organized by our strength coach John Williams, he continually changed up the exercise selections and hammered the posterior chain. The results were substantial for most athletes, especially the squat and power clean numbers. We used bands and chains periodically and did strongman competitions fairly often. This is just a loose framework of course and if you have any other questions just ask.

Do the four main workouts you do pretty much follow the standard Westside setup? By that I mean the bench days go like this: main movement, tricep movement, lat movement, delt movement, and squat days go like this: main movement, hamstring movement, low back movement, 2 ab movements? Or does your coach change them up?

What does oly/plyo day on Wednesday typcially consist of?

Could you possibly outline a week of training that you guys would do with all of the exercises/gpp work?

Thanks for the help.

Ya most of the workouts stay within the traditional Westside template but it changes up time to time. The Olympic plyo day consists of a light weight complex movement such as: clean+front squat+push press. Then a high pull or similar movement. The plyo consists of high box jumps or high hurdle hops and a series of broad jumps and single leg hops. I’m not currently in town but when I get back I’ll check out my workout folder and see if I can post a basic week with exercises and %.

How long has the S and C coach been there and how are you guys going to be this year? Will the training improve on-field performance?

The training seems like what Joe Defranco does with his athletes.

What type of runs does your S and C coach do to get you conditioned?

What days do you guys do sprints? and How does the S and C coach encorporate agility drills

You guys have a nice weight room, is it open only to athlethes or is it open to regular campus people as well? Also I don’t understand the ME stuff and everything you described for your lifting protocls during the week. Do you guys lift 5 days out of the week? Or just only a few? And is lifting before practice or after practice? Do the carpeted floors hold sweat cause that would kind of suck.

Twhite, thanks for the info. Hope you can post a sample week with all the percents.

“Big John” has been with the program for 3 or 4 years and the gains in the weight room have been substantial according to the other players who have been around awhile. I think we will be competitive this year and the goal is a bowl game which I believe is very possible. The lifts I showed were off-season not in-season, we run in the mornings and lift in the afternoon The protocol listed can easily be fit into a 4 day schedule as we have done many weeks out of the year. The running includes both linear and agility training, implementing resistive runs, short sprints, cone drills, and out to 300 yard shuttles. Once again I will be able to give an exact template within a few days when I get back in Waco. The weight room floor is very thin carpet and since most of the sweating is done on the power racks it hasn’t been a problem.

Thats cool, I’m about to get working on a 2 day split for legs. I never bother with westside stuff, the style of it doesn’t tend to do anything for me. PLus it takes a while to do and I need to cram as much stuff into a small time slot.